Upper control arm bushing (axle side)

Pixel

Ok so aside from my other thread (axle off center) before I started to adjust the track bar today I noticed that the replacement Teraflex arms did not have new bushings on the axle side and they were installed over the old worn bushings. Does anyone know of the replacement parts for these? I called a few local places, a NAPA and Advanced but they are all coming up with different sizes.

I found Crown Automotive: Manufacturer Part No: 52060138AA, would this be ok for the Teraflex upper control arms? or do they need a different one.

Here is a pic of the upper control arm bracket and its blown out bushing:
IMG_0615.jpg

Image of passenger LCA rubbing frame:
IMG_0617.jpg

Bracket/Bushing shot from under the axle:
IMG_0618.jpg

If you need more photos of a certain spot let me know.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The front axle side upper control arms DO NOT come with bushings as they are pressed into the front axle and come that way from the factory. They are clevite bonded rubber bushings and the ones that you found from Crown are most likely what you need. You should know that they are a bit of bitch to get out and if you don't have an air hammer, I would recommend you get one.

Also, after you replace your bushings, do yourself a favor and reset your control arms so that they aren't all bound up anymore. I know that Teraflex in all their brilliance instruct that you set your arms to different length in a stupid effort to try and add cross caster on a solid axle but all that does is destroy bushings and or break mounts.

mackey

The same bushings on my JK are also blown. I asked Eddie this same question a week ago.

Northridge 4x4 recommended a Johnny Joint bushing. The part number from currie is CURSE 911-2M2. I had Northridge order me some. They haven't been installed so I have no clue how hard they will be. I also need an air hammer :(

Pixel

The front axle side upper control arms DO NOT come with bushings as they are pressed into the front axle and come that way from the factory. They are clevite bonded rubber bushings and the ones that you found from Crown are most likely what you need. You should know that they are a bit of bitch to get out and if you don't have an air hammer, I would recommend you get one.

Also, after you replace your bushings, do yourself a favor and reset your control arms so that they aren't all bound up anymore. I know that Teraflex in all their brilliance instruct that you set your arms to different length in a stupid effort to try and add cross caster on a solid axle but all that does is destroy bushings and or break mounts.

Appreciate the info. I have an air hammer and a ball joint press so I am hoping this will make it a little easier. Hoping for some feedback on different brands if any made a difference or not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Crown clevite bushings and they work just like factory. Again, you need to make sure that your control arms are not set with excessive dissimilar lengths as a lot of shops will do as this will cause them to blow prematurely. The johnny joints that mackey posted up are another good option too.

You will want to cut out and remove the rubber out of your old bushing before you try knocking out the metal sleeve as it will make it easier to remove the metal sleeve. A point end on your air hammer will make this job pretty easy. Of course, you will need a press to get the new bushing installed.

mackey

Anyone recommend a certain type of press to get? Harbor Freight or actually a good branded name?

Top Bottom