Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L Water Pump, Thermostat & Fan Clutch Replacement Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Earlier in the year, our 1997 Jeep XJ Cherokee developed a coolant leak that was small enough to ignore for a while but over time, it grew to the point that I knew it needed to be addressed. Hoping that it was just a loose lower hose clamp or cracked hose, I started there but as luck would have it, everything was tight and the hose was in good enough condition to not be the source of the leak. Needless to say, the coolant was most likely oozing out of the water pump weep hole and that meant it was time for it to be replaced. Fortunately, a Jeep 4.0L water pump is a common part, can be found at just about any autoparts store and for cheap. And, since I was going to have to pull a lot other parts to get to it, I decided to use the opportunity to replace the thermostat and fan clutch at the same time too. If you're in need of replacing your XJ's water pump, this step by step write-up should be able to help you out.

What you will need
• Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L Water Pump & Gasket
• Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L Thermostat & Gasket
• Jeep XJ Cherokee 4.0L Fan Clutch
• 8, 13, 15mm Sockets & Wrenches
• 1/2" Wrench
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Flathead Screwdriver
• Phillips Screwdriver
• Hammer
• Gasket Scraper
• Teflon Tape
• Bench Vice
• Wire Brush
• Emery Cloth
• Coolant
• Bucket
• Paper Towels

Shot of all the new parts I got.
main.php

Here's a shot of the coolant leak I was seeing under my XJ.
main.php

Instructions
1. Start off by disconnecting your air intake tube from the air box. To do this, simply lift up on the plastic clamp and pull back as shown in the photo below.
main.php

2. Firmly grasp the PCV tube and wriggle it free from the port on the air box.
main.php

3. Release the 3 clamps securing the lid of your air box.
main.php

4. Remove the air filter and then remove the air box lid.
main.php

5. Using a 13mm socket and ratchet extension, remove the 2 bolts and 1 nut securing the air box to the body of your Jeep.
main.php

6. Remove the air box from your Jeep and set it aside.
main.php

7. Using an 8mm socket, remove the 2 screws securing both your radiator overflow hose and electric fan to the front of your Jeep.
main.php

8. Take the plug for your electric fan, slide the lock tab out and then separate the ends by squeezing on the release tab.
main.php

9. Wriggle the radiator overflow hose off the radiator fill neck.
main.php

10. Lift the electric fan up and out of your Jeep's engine compartment.
main.php

11. Using an 8mm socket, remove the 2 screws securing the fan shroud to the front of your Jeep.
main.php

12. Carefully lift the fan shroud up and out of your Jeep's engine compartment. You will have to work it around the mechanical fan and fan clutch and you'll want to take care not to bump into the fins of your radiator as you do this.
main.php

13. Using a 15mm socket, loosen the bolt securing your idler pulling in place.
main.php

14. Using a 15mm socket, loosen the serpentine belt adjuster as shown in this photo.
main.php

15. If you no longer have a diagram of your serpentine belt on the fan shroud, take a moment to photograph it with your phone. You can use it as a reference when reinstalling it later.
main.php

16. Remove your serpentine belt and examine it carefully. If it shows signs of cracking especially across the grain, you should plan on replacing it. If it's still in good shape, set it aside for now.
main.php

17. Using a 15mm socket, remove the 2 bolts securing the front of your power steering pump bracket to the water pump housing.
main.php

18. Using a 15mm socket, remove the bolt securing the power steering pump support brace to the engine block.
main.php

19. Using a 13mm socket and ratchet extension, remove the 3 bolts securing the power steering pump to the intake manifold. You will need to rotate the pulley so that the 2 openings allow access to them.
main.php

20. With the power steering pump free of the engine block, pull it aside and rest it on the fender well to give you more room to work with.
main.php

21. Using a phillips screwdriver, remove the 2 screws securing the head light bezels to the front of your Jeep.
main.php

22. Remove the bezels and set them aside.
main.php

23. Using a phillips screwdriver, remove the 4 screws securing the plastic grill to the front of your Jeep.
main.php

24. Remove the grill and set it aside.
main.php

25. On the passenger side of your Jeep, use a phillips screwdriver to remove the 2 screws securing your indicator light in place.
main.php

26. Place a bucket underneath your Jeep and open up the petcock valve to drain the radiator. This valve is located behind where your passenger side indicator light was.
main.php

27. Allow your radiator to drain completely before proceeding.
main.php

28. If your lower radiator hose is secured to the water pump with a hose clamp, use a flat head screw driver to loose up the clamp.
main.php

29. Move your bucket underneath your water pump, carefully pry off the lower radiator hose and allow it to drain into the bucket.
main.php

30. On your Jeep's thermostat housing, take a hold of the temperature sensor plug, slide the lock tab to the open position and unplug it by squeezing on the release tab and pulling it off.
main.php

31. Use a flat head screw driver to loosen the hose clamp securing the heater hose to the thermostat housing and then pull it off.
main.php

32. Use a flat head screw driver to loosen the hose clamp securing the upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing and then pull it off.
main.php

33. Use a flat head screw driver to loosen the hose clamp securing the heater hose to the tube extending off the water pump and then pull it off.
main.php

34. Use a 13mm socket to remove the 2 bolts securing the thermostat housing to the engine block.
main.php

35. Pry the thermostat housing off the engine block.
main.php

36. Use a flathead screw driver to help pry off the thermostat from the engine block.
main.php

37. Using a 13mm and a 1/2" wrench, remove the 4 nuts securing the mechanical fan and clutch to the pulley. You can use one of the wrenches to hold the pulley in place while using the other to remove the bolts as shown.
main.php

38. Carefully remove the fan from the pulley studs being careful not to hit the radiator.
main.php

39. Using a 13mm and a 1/2" wrench, remove the 4 bolts securing the water pump pulley. As before, you can use one of the wrenches to hold the pulley in place while using the other to remove the bolts as shown.
main.php

40. Using a 13mm socket, remove the 3 bolts securing your water pump to the engine block.
main.php

41. Using a hammer, give the back side of the water pump lower hose connector a tap to free it of its gasket bond and then allow the remaining coolant to drain as shown.
main.php

42. Remove the water pump, place it in a bench vice and then, using a 19mm wrench, remove the heater hose tube.
main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
43. Stuff some paper towels into the thermostat and water pump openings on your engine block. Then, use a gasket scraper or razor blade to remove all the gasket material. Remove the paper towels when done.
main.php

44. Use a wire brush to clean the threads of the water pump heater hose tube.
main.php

45. While it may not be necessary, I applied some Teflon tape to the threads of the tube.
main.php

46. Place your new water pump in a bench vice and then install the heater hose tube as shown.
main.php

47. Place the provided gasket on the mating surface of your new water pump making sure that all the holes line up.
main.php

48. Carefully install your water pump and gasket onto your Jeep's engine block and secure it in place with the factory bolts. You will need a 13mm socket for this job.
main.php

49. Use a gasket scraper to remove all the gasket material from the mating surface of your thermostat housing.
main.php

50. Use a wire brush or emery cloth to remove some of the heavy build up from the hose connectors on your thermostat housing.
main.php

51. Place a new gasket on to the mating surface of your thermostat housing making sure it lines up with all the holes.
main.php

52. Place your new thermostat onto the opening on your Jeep's engine block.
main.php

53. Reinstall your thermostat housing and secure it in place using the factory bolts. You will need a 13mm socket for this job.
main.php

54. Reconnect the temperature sensor plug back into the thermostat housing and lock it in place.
main.php

55. Reinstall the heater hose onto the water pump connecting tube and secure it in place with its hose clamp. You will need a flathead screw driver for this job.
main.php

56. Reconnect the heater hose onto the thermostat housing and secure it in place with it's hose clamp. A flathead screw driver will be needed for this job.
main.php

57. Reinstall the factory pulley onto your new water pump and secure it in place using the factory bolts. You will need a 13mm and 1/2" wrench for this job.
main.php

58. Back at your work bench, remove the 4 bolts securing the mechanical fan blades to the fan clutch. Use a 13mm to help hold the fan in place and then use a 1/2" wrench to remove the bolts.
main.php

59. Take the fan blades and install it onto your new fan clutch making sure the blades are facing the same direction. Secure it to the fan clutch using the bolts provided with the kit. You will need a 13mm and 1/2" wrench for this job.
main.php

60. Carefully reinstall your mechanical fan back on to the pulley being careful not to make contact with the radiator and damage its fins and then secure it in place using the factory nuts. You will need a 13mm and 1/2" wrench for this job.
main.php

61. Reinstall your upper radiator hose onto the thermostat housing and secure it in place with its hose clamp. You will need a flat head screw driver for this job.
main.php

62. Install your lower radiator hose onto your new water pump and secure it in place with it's hose clamp. You will need a flat head screw driver for this job.
main.php

63. Begin reinstall your power steering pump by securing it to the intake manifold using the 3 factory bolts. As before, you will need to rotate the pulley so that you can gain access to the bolts through the holes in it. A 13mm socket and ratchet extension will be needed for this job.
main.php

64. Secure the power steering brace to the front of your water pump housing using the 2 factory bolts. You will need a 15mm socket for this job.
main.php

65. Secure the power steering lower brace to the side of your engine block using the factory bolt. You will need a 15mm socket for this job.
main.php

66. Reinstall your serpentine belt according to the diagram on your fan shroud or photo you too earlier and then tighten the adjuster using a 15mm socket.
main.php

67. Lock the idler pulley in place by tightening its bolt using a 15mm socket.
main.php

68. Reinstall your fan shroud and secure it in place using the factory screws. You will need an 8mm socket for this job.
main.php

69. Reconnect the radiator overflow hose to the filler neck of your radiator.
main.php

70. Reinstall your electric fan and secure it in place using the factory screws. You will need an 8mm socket for this job.
main.php

71. Reconnect the electric fan plug and lock it in place.
main.php

72. Reinstall your air box and secure it in place with the 2 bolts and one nut. You will need a 13mm socket and ratchet extension for this job.
main.php

73. Reinstall your air filter, reinstall the air box lid and lock it in place.
main.php

74. Reinstall the PCV hose onto the side port on the air box lid.
main.php

75. Reconnect the intake tube onto the air box and lock in place by squeezing the clamp together.
main.php

76. Refill your radiator with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
main.php

That should be it. Run your engine till it warms up and check your heater hoses to make sure they are both getting hot. If they do, you're good to go. If not, you most likely have air in the system and you will need to burp it. This can usually be done simply by running your engine with the radiator cap off but sometimes, loosening the heater hose on your thermostat and running the motor till coolant comes out is needed.

Be sure to take your used coolant to your local auto parts store so that it can be recycled or disposed of properly.

I hope this write-up was able to help you out. :cool:

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. Lots of pics. I'm sure many 4.0L owners will be very happy to see all that detail when they find this thread. Good pics.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Thx for the informative write up and accompanying pics. My '92 MJ doesn't have an electric fan/shroud which I thought was 'cause it has no a/c. Hmmm?? The mechanical fan is small to say the least and the thermostat is old and suspect. It's never overheated here in Denver but then I haven't used it for slow trail work on a hot day. Better get busy and scout up an aftermarket electric fan and shroud. It has no leaks, but while I'm adding the new fan/shroud it'll be a good idea to replace the clutch, thermostat, pump, etc.:yup:

Spaulding

Thanks Eddie, will likely be doing this on my sons 95 XJ shortly.

Any reason why you installed the gaskets dry ? I've always used Permatex Form a Gasket or more recently blue hylomar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, will likely be doing this on my sons 95 XJ shortly.

Any reason why you installed the gaskets dry ? I've always used Permatex Form a Gasket or more recently blue hylomar.

Honestly, I just did it to see if it would work and - it did. In the past, I used to use gaskets that came with what looked like a bead RTV on it already and they work well too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx for the informative write up and accompanying pics. My '92 MJ doesn't have an electric fan/shroud which I thought was 'cause it has no a/c. Hmmm?? The mechanical fan is small to say the least and the thermostat is old and suspect. It's never overheated here in Denver but then I haven't used it for slow trail work on a hot day. Better get busy and scout up an aftermarket electric fan and shroud. It has no leaks, but while I'm adding the new fan/shroud it'll be a good idea to replace the clutch, thermostat, pump, etc.:yup:

You know, you not having AC might in fact be why you don't have an electric fan. Check to see if you have a plug for one over by the radiator fill port - if you do, I might consider getting one as they really aren't that expensive and it would help to keep things cool.

TheBaconator

Great job Eddie. I still prefer pulling the front header panel and leaning the Radiator/AC Condenssor to the front because it give you more room to work and a better angle when getting to bolts but I love all the write-ups and have already emailed this to 2 different XJ guys who were just asking how to do this.

Keep up the Great work.

Baconator

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
You know, you not having AC might in fact be why you don't have an electric fan. Check to see if you have a plug for one over by the radiator fill port - if you do, I might consider getting one as they really aren't that expensive and it would help to keep things cool.

There is a port and so The Rabid is gonna get a shroud w/electric fan, probably Flex-a-Lite. Thx.:yup:

I just did this on my XJ, but I got a new water outlet as well. The only things I took off were the serpentine belt and mechanical fan. I am a minimalist though :)

Xjproject417

Water pump

I would reccomend spending g a little more and getting a water pump from flowKooler as at low rpm it circulates 3x the amount of water which keeps engine cooler which is very helpful on the trails or out around town

Top Bottom