EVO Rock Star Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're tired of getting hung up and dragging your super low hanging rear axle lower control arm mounts on rocks and other obstacles out on the trail, there is a simple and cost effective solution available for your Jeep JK Wrangler and it's known as an EVO Rock Star. Made by EVO MFG, the Rock Stars are essentially lower control arm mount skids that allow you to chop the bottom of your factory control arm axle mounts and raise the lowest point 1.5" higher off the ground. I should note that in doing this, your sway bar links and lower shock mounts will also get raised up about 2" and if you choose to do this mod, you'll want to make sure that your shocks are short enough to accommodate the decrease in their up travel. With that in mind, this is a great mod that everyone who wheels their Jeep should consider and this write-up will show you what all is involved to get them installed.

What you will need
• EVO Rock Stars
• 18, 19, 21mm Socket & Wrench
• 9/16" Socket & Wrench
• Ratchet
• Torque Wrench
• Sawzall w/Metal Cutting Blade
• Angle Grinder w/Cutoff Wheel and Flap Disc
• Floor Jack
• (2) Jack Stands
• Tape Measure
• Sharpe or Grease Pencil

Instructions
1. Using a floor jack, lift your Jeep from the base of your rear differential until the tires are off the ground and then lower it onto a pair of jack stands. Using a 19mm socket or lug wrench, remove your wheels from the rear axle.
main.php

2. Using an 18mm socket and wrench, remove the bolt and nut securing your Jeep JK Wrangler’s rear shocks to the lower axle mounts. Pull the shock out of the mount and push it aside for now.
main.php

3. Using an 18mm socket and wrench, remove the bolts and nuts securing the factory links to the lower axle mounts. If you have a set of aftermarket links, you will most likely need to use a different set of wrenches. The EVO links shown in this photo requires a 5/8" wrench to hold the stud in place and a 3/4" socket to remove the nut.
main.php

4. Remove your Jeep JK Wrangler factory rear lower control arms from the axle mounts using a 21mm socket and wrench.
main.php

5. The bonded rubber bushings on your factory lower control arms will prevent it from rotating down and out of the axle mount. Using a 21mm socket and wrench, loosen but do not remove the bolt and nut securing the control arm to the frame mount. Allow the control arm to rotated down onto the ground.
main.php

6. Measuring from the center of the axle mount hole, make a clear mark 1-1/2" down using a Sharpe or grease pencil and then continue that line all the way around the entire mount.
main.php

7. Using a sawzall or grinder with a cutoff wheel, remove the shock mount from the control arm mount as shown.
main.php

8. Using a sawzall or grinder with a cutoff wheel, cut the mount off along the line you drew back on step #6.
main.php

9. Finally, using a sawzall or grinder with a cutoff wheel, cut the sway bar mount off and then grind down what's left of all the mounts using a grinder with a flap disc.
main.php

10. Loosely install your new EVO Rockstar onto your factory axle mount using the new control arm bolt provided with the kit.
main.php

11. Install the provided nuts, washers and bolts through the EVO Rockstar mount as shown. Please note that the upper bolt goes through the face and that the lower bolt comes through it from behind and secured in place with a nut.
main.php

12. Using a 9/16" wrench and socket, secure the bolts and nuts in place.
main.php

13. Reinstall your lower control arm and secure it in place using the new bolt and nut provided. Install your sway bar link and shock onto your new EVO Rock Star mount and then repeat the whole process on the passenger side of your Jeep. When finished, reinstall your wheel, lower your Jeep back onto the ground and then make sure to tighten your control arm bolts to 125 ft. lbs. of torque.
main.php

And that's it! The base of you're rear axle lower control arm mounts are now 1.5" higher off the ground and armored up with a set of EVO Rock Stars. Enjoy :cool:

utiadam

LOSER
Another great write up Eddie! I did them with the rear bolt on coilovers. They are time consuming but not terrible to install.

mds22

I have a leveling kit (3/4 spacers in the rear) and factory Rubi shocks. Can I install these without adding bumpstops, or would I bottom out my shocks? Anyone have experience with rockstar skids on a stock jeep?

Kumar

I have a leveling kit (3/4 spacers in the rear) and factory Rubi shocks. Can I install these without adding bumpstops, or would I bottom out my shocks? Anyone have experience with rockstar skids on a stock jeep?

I'd like to know the same

Clark Collins

Isn't the rear lower control bar still in the stock location? It looks like the lower shock mount and sway bar mounting point is raised, but not the control bar.

I've been concerned about how low the rear shock mounts are and mine are getting pretty beat up. I too have questions concerning the proper shock length with this mod. I'm making plans to get an EVO enforcer 3" lift and may want to do this mod too, so shock length is important info.

metalic

I got hung up on mine last weekend for the first time. Looked at the wife and told her I should of bought rockstars when I did my lift and that they would be on by years end. Perfect timing.

Wethy

I would have thought these would have been a weld on type deal( I'll admit I hadn't looked into them) but damn that looks simple and the extra flex/protection seems awesome! Good job on the write up

mds22

Anyone????

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Look at your stock shock shaft. Measure the clean portion of the shaft that has not enters the shock body. If it's less than 1.5" you will bottom out your shock. Essentially you are adding 1.5" of compression without flexing. Take a look at your shook shaft and this should make sense.

mds22

Look at your stock shock shaft. Measure the clean portion of the shaft that has not enters the shock body. If it's less than 1.5" you will bottom out your shock. Essentially you are adding 1.5" of compression without flexing. Take a look at your shook shaft and this should make sense.

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at it tonight

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Isn't the rear lower control bar still in the stock location? It looks like the lower shock mount and sway bar mounting point is raised, but not the control bar.

Yep, that's right. The Rockstar uses the LCA bolt as part of it's reinforcement. I think that was just a typo in the write-up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that's right. The Rockstar uses the LCA bolt as part of it's reinforcement. I think that was just a typo in the write-up.

Yup. Not sure where the confusion was in my write-up as I never said the control arms got raised up but, if I made a typo somewhere, that's all it was :yup:

Top Bottom