Overland/Expedition build.

Bryantengland14

Is anybody in the Wayalife community into the expedition builds?

My jeep is a work in progress and I finally have if built enough to go about anywhere I need it to, but I'm ready to start adding the things needed to survive out of it for periods of time. Anyone else into this sort of thing? Have any neat ideas for such a thing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly constitutes an "overland/expedition build" over just a Jeep that is already "built enough to go about anywhere I need it to"? :idontknow:

Bryantengland14

What exactly constitutes an "overland/expedition build" over just a Jeep that is already "built enough to go about anywhere I need it to"? :idontknow:

"Built enough to go where I need it to"- not stock. Lift. Tires. Aftermarket suspension parts. The jeep is able to go as far as I'm willing to take it. Terrain wise.

"Overland/expedition" - traveling long distances off-road. Basically off road camping as I see it. Camping out of your vehicle. Having everything you need on board.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
"Built enough to go where I need it to"- not stock. Lift. Tires. Aftermarket suspension parts. The jeep is able to go as far as I'm willing to take it. Terrain wise.

"Overland/expedition" - traveling long distances off-road. Basically off road camping as I see it. Camping out of your vehicle. Having everything you need on board.

Okay, so what prevents you from doing this now? :idontknow:

Bryantengland14

I can do it now, but as every jeeper, I wanna go bigger & better.
Things I'd like to add:

•Onboard compressor or tank. Possibly both.
•water tank with pump
•power inverter
•table off of my swing gate
•extra camping stuff storage.
•some way to attach a tarp off my hardtop either off the back or to the side
•many many more

WJCO

Meme King
There's tons of that kind of stuff out there. It's really up to your imagination. If you don't already know how to weld, look into doing that. The possibilities are endless when you can build your own stuff. We take camping stuff in our jeep all the time. We even have a cargo rack that goes into our hitch so we can take the kids powerwheels Jeep with us. As far as some of the ideas you have, I would look into racks. Roof rack, tire carrier with rack, hitch rack. That will expand your options.

JAGS

Hooked

My jeep is a work in progress and I finally have if built enough to go about anywhere I need it to, but I'm ready to start adding the things needed to survive out of it for periods of time. Anyone else into this sort of thing? Have any neat ideas for such a thing?

Hmmmm, this reminds me of another thread:thinking::cheesy:

Pretty much all the jeeps on here are built with this kind of stuff in mind. I think it's the manufacturers of the "overland" products that want you to differentiate one style from another and to think their products are superior/better. Just "build" your Jeep how you want it and to get you where you want to go and don't worry about categories and labels. :thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I can do it now, but as every jeeper, I wanna go bigger & better.
Things I'd like to add:

•Onboard compressor or tank. Possibly both.
•water tank with pump
•power inverter
•table off of my swing gate
•extra camping stuff storage.
•some way to attach a tarp off my hardtop either off the back or to the side
•many many more

Sounds like my jeep

WJCO

Meme King
Hmmmm, this reminds me of another thread:thinking::cheesy:

Pretty much all the jeeps on here are built with this kind of stuff in mind. I think it's the manufacturers of the "overland" products that want you to differentiate one style from another and to think their products are superior/better. Just "build" your Jeep how you want it and to get you where you want to go and don't worry about categories and labels. :thumb:

That's exactly what the guy says in the video I posted earlier. It's about YOU and going out there for the reasons that you want to. Nothing else.

USMC Wrangler

Sooo, it sounds like you are using "expedition" as a way to describe what you want your Jeep to be setup for. If you look through the many build threads on here you'll find plenty looking for and actually making modifications to their rigs to accommodate extra gear. Some are very organized like buying and labeling storage containers and making shelves or adding different racks/off road trailers/roof-top tents. Others wing it and discover something that would make life better in a similar/possible situation. I guess everyone can call it whatever they like. I'd call it being as prepared as possible for both the expected and unexpected without any special label.

I haven't watched the previously linked YouTube video, but I have had previous co-workers that would "build" what they considered an "overland/expedition" vehicle out of a non-Jeep type. It just seems to be a marketing ploy to me for a non-niche type 4wd vehicle different from a Jeep. Just my :twocents: . Have fun building your Jeep the way you want it to be built! :yup:

Top Bottom