Need help deciding on a lift..............

I am stuck between the Teraflex 2.5" coil or the 3" coil. I want to run a 35" tire. It is a DD and plan on going on some trails. I would like to add a front and rear bumper in the future. My budget on a lift would be around $1200. I don't really think I will be rock crawling. I have seen a lot of post and pics of the 2.5" lift but I haven't seen to many with a 3". If I were to do a 3", is their a lot more suspension components that I would have to get. Any help is appreciated thanks.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I just installed a 2.5 inch TeraFlex lift on a buddies jeep this weekend. He netted 2.5 inches of actual lift on his JKUR with his LOD bumper and warn winch. He will be running 35's and stock flares. That is more than enough.

I would still consider addressing the front driveshaft (if you have a 12+) as we had his axle drooped his stock driveshaft was contacting the exhaust loop.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
At 3 inches you really need front lower adjustable control arms if four door, front lower adjustable arms and rear uppers on a two door. Front driveshaft on four door, front and rear on two door.

So you may look at a 2.5 inch budget boost or just a 2.5 inch coil lift. Though you may gain more lift with the coils than just 2.5 inches, specially with a two door. The teraflex is stiffer than most so it rides a little rougher per say. So that's something to remember.

You can run 35s with just 2.5 inches of lift.

If you want more than that, I would recommend something like the 3 inch enforcer and add the appropriate driveshafts, drag link flip, and good quality shocks but you will blow your $1200 budget out of the water.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would still consider addressing the front driveshaft (if you have a 12+) as we had his axle drooped his stock driveshaft was contacting the exhaust loop.

That too. I have the 2.5 inch teraflex coils on mine. I haven't looked at the front driveshaft yet to see if it's contacting. I don't believe I've got it drooped out enough yet though.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I guess I forgot to mention. I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited. I wonder how much rougher it could be compared to stock?

Ride quality is subjective. I've driven and or been in several JKs with TeraFlex lifts and in my opinion they ride terribly. My buddy on the other hand thinks it rides better than stock. Maybe it's his opinion because he dropped the coin on it.

Ok so what lift do you recommend? Would the Fox 2.0 shocks help with the ride? I am just trying t get ideas so opinions matter. I have never lifted a vehicle.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
For your budget I would recommend getting a 2.5 inch budget boost. You can pair them with whatever shocks you'd like and not have to worry about much difference in ride quality or breaking the bank.

If you want to save some money and go with a quality coil lift, I would look at the EVO Enforcer 3 inch lift with drag link flip. You can also pair it with any shocks of your liking. You should also factor in a new front driveshaft.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would also recommend a budget boost. They are almost the same so I would look for one that is a "complete kit" such as the teraflex one. You can get aftermarket shocks but make sure you don't get ones that are too long and cause too much droop up front. That would cause your driveshaft to hit. You could buy the kit that has shock extensions and run your rubicon shocks. I would also eventually run an axle mounted rear track bar bracket though unlike the frame side one found in most kits. Running the 2.5 inch budget boost will get you a lift to clear 35s pretty inexpensively plus if/when you decide to upgrade you could easily sell it to somebody starting out and get a lot of your money back on it.

^^^^^ super solid advice right there. Im gonna agree and say go with the budget boost. Itll be great for what it sounds like youll be doing. The next step up, like an evo enforcer, is gonna set you back around 2k+ to be done right.

Wombat

I rarely offer advice as so many here know so much more than I. But I know this much, on the core parts of your build, buy quality. Costs more up front but cost of ownership is cheaper over the long haul.

Getting a budget boost, saving for a better lift then selling the BB sounds like a good plan

Top Bottom