JK Horizontal Headlight Adjustment

USMC Wrangler

Have you ever noticed the extra notch on your JK's grille while scrubbing the bugs off? These notches are located at about the 8 o'clock position on your drivers side headlight and about the 4 o'clock on the passenger side. This is where your horizontal headlight adjustment screw should be. Yes, you could make adjustments with what's already on your JK, but this would require removing you grille and both headlights, making an adjustment, reinstalling your headlight and repeating until you're happy.

This write up will show you how you can skip those steps. I imagine stock and upgraded headlights would benefit from this.

Here is the extra notch in the grille on the driver's side.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443285665.819284.jpg

What you will need...

-Mopar part # 5507 8114 AA, you need two (I bought both for less than $4 total, shipped on eBay from mopar_parts_direct. Other options wanted $10-$20 for these!)
-Flat screwdriver for removing the grille
-Torx T-15
-15 mm open ended wrench

Start by removing the grille (flat screwdriver)...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443285725.024275.jpg

...then remove both headlights (T-15 Torx).

There is a black, plastic ring that your headlights attach to. These are connected to the Jeep by the top (vertical) adjusting screw and two non-adjustable screws. The two non-adjustable screws are located at the bottom.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443285767.791085.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443285791.260379.jpg

Remove the top adjustment screw with your T-15 and the two bottom screws with the open end of your 15 mm wrench. I chose to back these out evenly to avoid twisting and possibly breaking the plastic ring.

Once the ring is out, grab the factory installed screw from the back. You can wiggle it out pretty easy by hand. You won't need this screw anymore, so you can discard it or save. Your choice.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443285830.550433.jpg

Install your new adjustment screw by pushing it in through the back where you removed the factory installed screw.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443285854.683027.jpg

Reinstall the plastic headlight ring. Your new adjustment screw will create new threads. It will seem tight, so just go slow.

Reinstall your headlights and grille. Wait till dark and adjust your headlights as necessary.

I take no credit for this "mod". I found bits and pieces of similar instructions in different places online. I also know some of you here on WAL have already done this.

USMC Wrangler

So the bugs were eating me alive! I didn't take any pics. I followed the low beam settings on this...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1443320732.135366.jpg

...then I drove it down a long, straight, unlit road. I ended going up a bit more on both and moved the passenger side to the right a bit. Still haven't gotten used to the funky TruckLite hotspots, but I don't drive much at night where I live now. The spread seems better to me now, but that's just my opinion.

SaddleTramp

If you don't want to purchase and go through the effort to change the actual horizontal screw, you can just use a dremel cut-off wheel and gouge (technical term) a straight groove/cut in the end of the existing stock screw for a flat head screwdriver and do the same adjustment. I have the newer style JW Speaker headlights and just did this cheap and just as effective mod. Sorry for the one upper...haha.

headlight dremel.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Great write up by the way, it (horizontal adjustment) really does help quite a lot with some of the aftermarket headlights.

Nice job sir!

Ah, thanks! :thumb: I know there have been some projects that I wish had a lot more detailed instruction. I figured instead of just posting that I put a couple screws in, I'd throw some pics and descriptions in too. It still boggles my mind that Chrysler doesn't do this at the factory since the grille is molded for it and the low cost. :crazyeyes: Maybe some gov't regulation, but maybe that's a stretch. :idontknow:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Just from looking at my H4 Hella e-code lights against a wall, I suspect even the crappy OEM lights could benefit from horizontal adjustment. I'll get some pics of my Truck-Lites from the same place, and then some after horizontal adjustment.

JeepJeep75

I did this mod shortly after upgrading to TruckLites. Before I installed the horizontal adjusters I noticed my TL's were seriously cross-eyed. This mod was a necessity for me.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I put the horizontal adjustment screws in. Unfortunately, I failed to take photos of the light pattern, before I did it. The lights were a little cross eyed, but this mod is relatively easy, and makes a great difference in the light pattern of the Truck-Lites.

Low beam
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454292765.834582.jpg

High beam
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454292879.208248.jpg

Low & High beams of my Hella e-codes
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454292928.611093.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454292938.744152.jpg

RJEEPO

thanks for this thread I need to adjust the driver's side TL as it's skewed to the right. :rock:

USMC Wrangler

Can you please post a link, I am struggling to locate these

This is where I bought mine...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-MOPAR-RH-...7-2013-JEEP-WRANGLER-/231449474616?nav=SEARCH

EDIT: Apparently the seller has almost doubled his price for these. If you search the part # in the first post here you may be able to find them cheaper. Also, if you have a dealer nearby, give them a call with the part number. I ordered them because at the time I lived 4.5 hours one way from the nearest dealership.

Last edited:
Top Bottom