37's on stock axles?

atjakream

This is a stock sport with 37 inch tires. Only thing that's been change for the drive train is the gearing. Can you do this safely? Will my friend run into any problems?

Attachments

• 1443402154644.jpg
    1443402154644.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 444

WJCO

Meme King
The worst that could happen is merely something like this, local parts store may have JB weld repair kits:

axles.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
The worst that could happen is merely something like this, local parts store may have JB weld repair kits:

View attachment 166752

While I understand that stock axles have their limitations, this picture doesn't even come close to being representative of 37s on stock axles. In that picture, the actual housing snapped, not the tubes (a more common 37 induced failure). That took A LOT more force than just typical 37" wear and tear. I'm guessing some, if not a lot of air time, preceded that picture.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
While I understand that stock axles have their limitations, this picture doesn't even come close to being representative of 37s on stock axles. In that picture, the actual housing snapped, not the tubes (a more common 37 induced failure). That took A LOT more force than just typical 37" wear and tear. I'm guessing some, if not a lot of air time, preceded that picture.

It's running leaf springs. Not dumbass in their right mind would jump a vehicle on leaf springs.

WJCO

Meme King
This was meant to be extreme and humorous. :brows:

But seriously now, as others have posted, it really depends on how he drives it. And agreed, this poor vehicle, above, probably has quite the story behind the picture.

37s on a stock axle with moderate to difficult trail use, will probably require many upgrades.

WJCO

Meme King
On this note, my first job out of college was working at a custom suspension shop in Yuma, AZ. We actually built leaf springs from scratch. The Border Patrol brought us all of their leaf springs to repair broken leafs. Holy Crap! You wanna talk about some messed up stuff...............you can only imagine what those guys did chasing after illegals, off road, in a tax-payer funded vehicle....no limits. Of course, that's when they were allowed to monitor the border.

BlackHawk08jk

If he's doing just street driving he should be ok. It should hold up to some wheeling. But not for very long and not any heavy wheeling I would say.

atjakream

So basically he should stick to mall crawling and not use the Jeep for its intended purpose? He still has his 35's. I showed him this thread and I think he's convinced to put them back on.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Everyone knows your stock axles will spontaneously explode the minute you put 37s on them. :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
So basically he should stick to mall crawling and not use the Jeep for its intended purpose? He still has his 35's. I showed him this thread and I think he's convinced to put them back on.

He could always do things to upgrade his front axle, but it will be a time/money/ongoing project. May be better to to just spend the money up front for an axle assy.

Top Bottom