1997 TJ ongoing no start issue!!!!!!!!!!

jumelton

Hi guys. I would love 2 cent replys to help me figure out my problem.

Vehicle: 1997 2.5 5spd TJ.

Issue: When the vehicle sits after being driven it will not start. I will crank all day. THIS IS THE CATCHER! When cranking if the cel light is on it will fired right up, but if it doesnt come on i know it wont start.

That being said, this is what i have replaced/done so far:
-crank sensor
-cam sensor
-asd relay
-tps
-cts
-iac
-map
-exhaust manifold
-plugs/wires
-distributor
-coil
-starter
-pulled entire harness cleaned up recoated grease plugs
-new injector pigtails
-pulled pcm and opened the case, was clean and no signs of burnt components

Any help would be great, during the reply remember the CATCHER

thanks guys

jumelton

Do you have good fuel pressure?

fuel pressure wouldnt cause the cel not to illuminate at startup. I can not verify fuel pressure, i have not check it. But fuel pump does kick on every time, priming pump doesnt change the outcome.

Last edited:

David1tontj

Definitely sounds electrical. I had an almost identical problem on a dodge (Mercedes) sprinter. After much searching/replacing parts, my good friend and wiring expert printed out all the diagrams and tracked it down to the actual fuse block. I thought it sounded crazy, but after all I had bought, another hundred bucks wasn't that bad.. Bolted it in and it fired right up.

Now, I know this is a different vehicle, but it might be worth checking.

WJCO

Meme King
Next time this happens, verify if you have spark or not while cranking. That will at least eliminate your fuel system.

If you do have spark, then start looking toward your injector circuit if indeed your fuel pressure is adequate.

Unlikely it's a compression issue being that the concern is intermittent.

Last item, anti-theft issue? Not sure if your model would allow crank or no-crank if antitheft is acting up.

jeff_in_rc

Last item, anti-theft issue? Not sure if your model would allow crank or no-crank if antitheft is acting up.

If you mean a "chipped" key it will start but stop running after 3 seconds, mine does this with a normal key just so your aware.

jumelton

Next time this happens, verify if you have spark or not while cranking. That will at least eliminate your fuel system.

If you do have spark, then start looking toward your injector circuit if indeed your fuel pressure is adequate.

Unlikely it's a compression issue being that the concern is intermittent.

I checked a while ago and it had spark.

It did have antitheft, but i removed it thinking it could have been the issue.

is there a way to see if the injectors are receiving signal from the pcm during startup?

thanks for the replies guys!

WJCO

Meme King
is there a way to see if the injectors are receiving signal from the pcm during startup?

There is. You can pick up a noid light or use a DVOM. Tricky part is being able to diagnose it when it occurs. When it does occur though, how long does the abnormal symptom last? How long until it starts normal again?

jumelton

There is. You can pick up a noid light or use a DVOM. Tricky part is being able to diagnose it when it occurs. When it does occur though, how long does the abnormal symptom last? How long until it starts normal again?

When i first started trying to figure the problem out it would NOT start 3 out of 5 times.

Now since i have messed with the harness and everything else it will NOT start ~1 out of 5 times. I like that it has improved, but i want to figure this out so i dont get stranded wheeling. (Nothing like stalling on a horrible incline when rock climbing with no start)

WJCO

Meme King
No codes at all?

Being that it's a temperature related issue (ie driven before it acts up), everything sounds like a crank sensor issue. Curious, did you use and oem crank sensor when you replaced it? Also, do you know if this ignition system has an ignition module anywhere, like near the coil or in the distributor?

jumelton

No codes at all?

Being that it's a temperature related issue (ie driven before it acts up), everything sounds like a crank sensor issue. Curious, did you use and oem crank sensor when you replaced it? Also, do you know if this ignition system has an ignition module anywhere, like near the coil or in the distributor?

I havent seen an ignition module, but the cps is a BWD

oh and no codes

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
That'd be cool if an OEM sensor fixes it. It's crazy how some electronic parts you can pick up at local parts stores and have no issues ever, then other times, an aftermarket part will give you issue after issue. Hopefully that will take care of it for you.

jumelton

That'd be cool if an OEM sensor fixes it. It's crazy how some electronic parts you can pick up at local parts stores and have no issues ever, then other times, an aftermarket part will give you issue after issue. Hopefully that will take care of it for you.

Thanks for the responses! I will be sure to post up the results as soon as i figure it out. :thumb:

Top Bottom