Bad ending to a great weekend

Hoyt Ag

Opening weekend for bow hunting here in TX. Get to the farm, shoot a few pigs, get some work done around the land and then my shifter cable snaps while doing 3 point turn. As I am shifting, it locks up in 4H and the tranny is stuck in neutral.

Had to get towed by a Polaris Ranger back to the house to attempt to fix it, but no luck. 95 mile tow back home, Jeep is at the shop now. Sad sight to see this at the end of the weekend...

towjeep.jpg

OhNoTheJiggies

Dang, that blows. I had mine, my supervisors, and my friends shifter cable fall off the lever on the side of the tranny over the last 6 months. Was a pain but figured it out... But it didn't snap, so I can imagine that's going to be a bigger PITA. Good luck, hopefully it's a quick and painless fix.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
It's a dirty job to do when you're offroad in the dirt and mud, but it is possible to crawl under the Jeep and manually move the shift arm on the transfer case into gear, or put the broken end back on enough to use the shift lever again until it falls back off of off the transfer case. Advance Adapters makes an expensive but high quality upgraded cable and shift linkage to eliminate the weak plastic parts that Chrysler puts on there.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I installed the AA cable on Meant's jeep. Very stout product and one I will buy if I ever break my linkage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, Advance Adapters makes a pricey but great shifter linkage upgrade. That being said, if you need to run your Jeep in the mean time, you should be able to reach the shift lever on the transfer case and shift it by hand back into 2WD. You will most likely need to pull your front drive shaft to do this but, it can be done.

Hoyt Ag

Good news is that it was a snapped shifter cable and also a plastic piece in the shifter was cracked (the black lever on driver side). Bad news is I did not have the time this week to fix this myself so I am out some cash for a shop to do it. I also had them install a transmission cooler. Back on the road now!

Top Bottom