Thoughts on a 6.6 diesel with an Allison transmission

AcB-jk

Looking to do an engine upgrade I want a diesel; specifically a 6.6 with an Allison automatic. Is it possible ? What problems will I run into? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Looking to do an engine upgrade I want a diesel; specifically a 6.6 with an Allison automatic. Is it possible ? What problems will I run into? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

I like your style and ambition but it would be a hearty task. The Allison is a monstrous transmission. Major fab to the belly of the jeep. The D Max weighs in around 900 plus pounds. With money everything is possible. Just look at Rattle Trap, they did that with a straight six cummins! Cheapest way would be to buy a complete truck with drivetrain, computers and harness. Good luck.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The last thing I want to see and hear on the trail is a noisy-ass, black-plume-making diesel. You want real, useable torque off road? Figure out a viable electric solution. Separate, hub-contained motors with good range and quick charge capabilities...now that would be cool.

Last edited:
The last thing I want to see and hear on the trail is a noisy-ass, black-plume-making diesel. You want real, useable torque off road? Figure out a viable electric solution. Separate, hub-contained motors with good range and quick charge capabilities...now that would be cool.

I'm with Sharkey on this one!! I'll keep my Diesel engine in my toe rig, right where it's supposed to be.

RockyJk

I'm with Sharkey on this one!! I'll keep my Diesel engine in my toe rig, right where it's supposed to be.

Saw this on Instagram lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444093113.509535.jpg

AcB-jk

I asked for constructive ideas as to implement my idea not to get shot down. I'm a mechanical engineer at Virginia tech it's also for my senior cap stone project so a viable electric solution isn't in the cards at the time

MTG

Caught the Bug
It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

What problems will I run into?

Keyboard jockeys giving you their unsolicited opinions? :idontknow: ;)

Good luck with your senior project.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I asked for constructive ideas as to implement my idea not to get shot down. I'm a mechanical engineer at Virginia tech it's also for my senior cap stone project so a viable electric solution isn't in the cards at the time

Oh. Well that explains it all. Sorry and good luck. I would hate for your capstone project to be on something relevant to today's times like electric motors.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

$25K senior project. Seems normal.

jims68

Physically without major body and frame modifications no. I've seen the 6.6 transplanted into suburbans but again this is a huge vehicle. The turbo would end up somewhere in the heater core area under the radio and the transfer case would be close to two feet farther rear ward. I would wander down to a salvage yard and measure a Duramax and Allison combo to a gen IV Chevy with the 6l80 or 90 and see the difference. Both should be readily available. The small block Chevy trany combo with the jeep transfer case moved as far forward as possible is a couple of inches further back then the jeep combos. You need way more room up front for the huge cooling stack. Large radiator and inter cooler not including air and the huge fan. The runway is not long enough! If the front axle didn't break or bend it would sure be fun to drive though!!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

I hope you don't mind, I moved your posts out of the Moby LS picture thread and made it a new one to help you get more hits and help. :thumb:

My question is why a 6.6 and not a smaller, more fuel efficient diesel engine? Perhaps a motor from one of the VW diesel cars and while you are installing it you can correct the emission problems for extra credit. :cheesy: (the last part was a joke, the question is not :yup:)

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Anything can be done with time and more importantly money. The Dmax engine is just to big shape wise. Rattle trap uses a 12v cummins. The cummins is easier to use because of its narrow shape. However they had to cut out some of the firewall into the cab because of the blocks length. They used a manual trans, that also was narrow. If you really wanted a diesel, I would also use a cummins. Better market for them and it will fit between the Frame better. Plus u can still use an Allison trans with a cummins. Food for thought!

GCM 2

.......Is it possible ?

Sure? However, if it was practical someone would have already done a "V8" configured diesel engine swap (and we are not even talking about a turbo). Then they would have offered it as an extremely pricey kit to make a profit off of.

......What problems will I run into?

As everyone prior to this post has mentioned, the dimensions of the engine alone (again, non-turbo) make it almost insurmountable, or at least not worth it. Adding in the size of an automatic trans make it truly impossible. The amount of fabrication needed to account for the changes to the frame, the entire front suspension, steering, cooling system (again, making it easy by using a non-turbo'd engine), brakes system, wiring harness, ECU's (would probably need to run two; one stand alone for the motor and trans, one stand alone for everything else). Heck, paying to have custom length drive shafts would literally be the easiest modification and likely the cheapest expense of the build.

......Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

Pick a different capstone project or career field. Do a 4bt swap, the answers to that test are already available for purchase.

......I asked for constructive ideas as to implement my idea not to get shot down.

No one here is truly coming down on you or your idea, just giving you a reality check. But, we are not your parents that are going to finish your science project on the night before its due. You asked for guidance, and you got it, guidance to move in a different direction......now take all that youthful angst and go prove all of us wrong and show us that it can be done.

Good luck brother :rock:

Grubbicon

I like the thought but lets be honest there is no way it will go in a JK body without making it wider in the front. This is underneath the hood on the tow pig.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444132698.649747.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444132708.480117.jpg
That thing takes up the whole engine bay on this thing. Even if you got it in when you get to transmission tunnel its gonna be like a damn H1 hummer on the inside.

Last edited:

sc_rhino

With all of emissions requirements in diesel, it gets complicated. The 6.6 is too big. Go with the new 2.8 duramax in the 2016 Colorado if you want diesel. Plenty of torque.

Top Bottom