Close

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBandit View Post
    Well the parts that are causes of death wobble are the trackbar, steering linkages, wheel berrings, upper and lower balljoints, upper and lower control arms and some times big tires tend to give a shakey feeling in the wheel because they have more weight and tend to wonder on the road. A steering stablizer fixes that. When I had death wobble I did all of the above and it fixed it. It was a combo of old and retarded parts. It's all moog now ;p
    A steering stabilizer never fixes anything rather it just merely masks a bigger problem. Find the problem and you can fix death wobble. Mask the problem and it will only be worse next time it rears its ugly head.
    2014 Unlimited Rubicon
    Mauser's Build Thread

Great thread. I have been away from Jeeps for about 13 years. I bought a 2012 JK in August, and started getting the DW about a month ago. Balanced the tires, still there. Checked the ball joints and they were bad. Replaced them last night and had a new alignment this morning, took the jeep for a good long ride on my lunch break, and it drives like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup6029 View Post
    Great thread. I have been away from Jeeps for about 13 years. I bought a 2012 JK in August, and started getting the DW about a month ago. Balanced the tires, still there. Checked the ball joints and they were bad. Replaced them last night and had a new alignment this morning, took the jeep for a good long ride on my lunch break, and it drives like new.
    Good deal. Hope it stays fixed for you. DW sucks.

First forgive my inexperience and if this is a stupid question ... So I measured and it seems that after my 2.5 TF spring lift and Trackbar install my axle if off about 1/4 in more on the drivers side than the passenger side... Not having the axle centered would that cause DW? I just put an adjustable TF monster Trackbar on I got off a friend and after putting it on I was taking measurements so see if it was off with how ever he had it adjusted... I will be taking it into the shop for an alignment this week, I am sure I am having tire issues as well but I know the issues in the rig are a combo deal ... I was just wondering as I try to educate myself on the geometry of my JKU ... Rig only has 21k on it and the lift and 35's have been on for maybe a month and a half so I wouldn't think my ball joints would be an issue even though I know the stock ones will go quick under strain ... I have had the wheel balance about 4 times now , but wonder if the KM2's being on the stock wheels and how they call for at least an 8.5" rim might not be helping the situation ... I

I have been trying to read and learn about as much of this shit as I can...

Thanks in advance for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by bonedaddy View Post
    First forgive my inexperience and if this is a stupid question ... So I measured and it seems that after my 2.5 TF spring lift and Trackbar install my axle if off about 1/4 in more on the drivers side than the passenger side... Not having the axle centered would that cause DW? I just put an adjustable TF monster Trackbar on I got off a friend and after putting it on I was taking measurements so see if it was off with how ever he had it adjusted... I will be taking it into the shop for an alignment this week, I am sure I am having tire issues as well but I know the issues in the rig are a combo deal ... I was just wondering as I try to educate myself on the geometry of my JKU ... Rig only has 21k on it and the lift and 35's have been on for maybe a month and a half so I wouldn't think my ball joints would be an issue even though I know the stock ones will go quick under strain ... I have had the wheel balance about 4 times now , but wonder if the KM2's being on the stock wheels and how they call for at least an 8.5" rim might not be helping the situation ... I

I have been trying to read and learn about as much of this shit as I can...

Thanks in advance for the info...
    Being that jks have a solid axle there really isn't much you can do about your axle being off center. As soon as you put weight in your jeep it will shift again anyway. Also this will not cause death wobble.

What will cause death wobble is your tires being out of balance, bad ball joints, loose bolts in your trackbar/steering, geometry, etc. for tire balance I HIGHLY suggest a road force balance over a static balance. Also for an alignment you can do it yourself in the driveway for free.
    October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JKS
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assist

Been Around the Block RoughRider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Just get the gusset kit and be done with it.

Fresh Catch

Caster was my issue

The cause of mine was too neutral a caster angle and also likely geometry changes after I installed a 3 inch lift. I just installed a geometry correction kit and now she's rolling like a top.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast