Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it

Use a torque wrench!

I'm posting this here because I think it will be seen here the most. Eddie is constantly reminding members to use a torque wrench and thank God he is. Here's a perfect example of why. I installed a new axle with new track bar bolts. And new track bar bushings and bushing sleeves. For the last 500 miles or so, I have a slight shimmy and a lot of wandering. I tracked it down to a loose lower track bar bolt. Tightening it fixes both issues for a short time. I've tightened it about 10 times and within twenty miles or so, it loosens back up. Today, I decided to replace the bolt as I'm getting tired of this. And I found that right where the nut torqued down, the threads are flat and stretched. I never used a torque wrench and overtightened the nut and damaged the bolt threads. So with the new bolt I used a torque wrench. Drives awesome! 2nd tightest thing I've ever felt. Good learning lesson for me, every bolt has a torque spec for a reason.

IMG_20170606_214853_775.jpg
    Last edited by WJCO; 06-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Glad you found your issue. A very good lesson learned to share. Im guilty of using my impact on my track bar also. Now I got to check mine out lol. Thx for sharing

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    2nd tightest thing I've ever felt.

lol

And now I'm doing all the recommended checking as I have developed DW ...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was having a slight steering wobble after putting in a 2.5” budget boost. After reading this write-up, I found all my control arms and lower trackbar hardware out of torque specs. Haven’t gone for a test ride yet but everything is tight now. Thanks for the info...

I have had a few death wobble experiences since TDS this year. Thanks for making these Eddie, they're always helpful.

IMG_4562.JPG
    Frame side track bar bushing was so bad

Fresh Catch

Talking Thanks!!!!!!

I was out in New Mexico, Utah, Colorado this past January and February and started experiencing Death Wobble. Got back home and had it looked at, thinking it was wheel bearings. Was told the whole steering assembly was toast. $900 later, a new steering assembly. Drove it around town for a couple weeks and no Death Wobble.

Yesterday morning I was heading back out to Colorado, in a driving rainstorm I might add, pulling my TCTeardrop trailer. About 30 miles down the road BAM, Death Wobble. A couple miles later, again and then again and again. Finally got off the Interstate and headed back home. Talked to a tire shop that does all the 4WD work in town. And learned painfully there is no clear cause but a lot of things that might cause it.

Well, the steering was ruled out but they suggested ball joints and getting the tires balanced. I'm real close to needing new tires in the front too. I have an appointment in the morning to have it looked at. Then hopefully back on the road and headed to Colorado.

THANK YOU so much for this post and all the replies. A wealth of information here. I'm passing it on to my brother in law, he and I looked at a lot of things yesterday to try and tell what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
    I was out in New Mexico, Utah, Colorado this past January and February and started experiencing Death Wobble. Got back home and had it looked at, thinking it was wheel bearings. Was told the whole steering assembly was toast. $900 later, a new steering assembly. Drove it around town for a couple weeks and no Death Wobble.

Yesterday morning I was heading back out to Colorado, in a driving rainstorm I might add, pulling my TCTeardrop trailer. About 30 miles down the road BAM, Death Wobble. A couple miles later, again and then again and again. Finally got off the Interstate and headed back home. Talked to a tire shop that does all the 4WD work in town. And learned painfully there is no clear cause but a lot of things that might cause it.

Well, the steering was ruled out but they suggested ball joints and getting the tires balanced. I'm real close to needing new tires in the front too. I have an appointment in the morning to have it looked at. Then hopefully back on the road and headed to Colorado.

THANK YOU so much for this post and all the replies. A wealth of information here. I'm passing it on to my brother in law, he and I looked at a lot of things yesterday to try and tell what was going on.
    Welcome to Wayalife. What all was included in the “steering assembly” and who did the work? Sounds like you got fed a load of crap from the shop and they screwed you. There usually IS a clear cause of death wobble.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Fresh Catch

Death Wobble

I have not experienced the dreaded DW, but I have recently purchased and lifted a 2015 Wrangler JK with less than perfect tread on 35's. As of yesterday the jeep has a 3.5 Rubicon Express Sport Lift and a new dampener shock as well. I do not have the additional cash for a new set of tires and decided not to balance them because I will buy new tires in a couple of months. I cannot justify spending the cash on balancing, but should I? Thanks in advance for your advice

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast