Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I ran into a guy who had EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs and he started to ask about the spring rates we were running on Rubicat back when we were running the same setup. He was telling me that he's looked at our old photos and videos and was wondering how we were able to get the stance we had. More specifically, he wanted to know what spring rates we were running. Bringing me over to his Jeep, he showed me how much preload he had to set on his front coil overs just to get a decent ride height. He also complained about sag and bottoming out he was having in the rear. This got me thinking about how often I hear this from people who own the EVO Bolt-On Coil Over kit and so I wanted to hear from you. If you have this coil over set up on your Jeep JK Wrangler, are you happy with the spring rates you got out of the box? If not and you were able to get it fixed, what spring rates did you end up going with to get the ride you want? Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

main.php

main.php

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have yet to really test my setup out, but I am running 250/250 front and also 250/250 rear and I am happy with them so far.

Eddie what were you running? Unless I missed it on your post.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to really test my setup out, but I am running 250/250 front and also 250/250 rear and I am happy with them so far.

Just before we upgraded to the DTD, I believe we were running 250/300 up front and 300/350 in the rear. We carry a ton of gear and it was the only way to keep the rear end up. Even at that, we ended up having to set some preload on them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: <300 miles.... I think it's hard to make any comment yet. :crazyeyes:

I have been satisfied with the springs out of the box so far, with that being said - I run pretty light and am currently set very close to the lowest possible ride height/preload. I don't carry a extra jeep in my jeep :cheesy: however that is changing fast - I even noticed a difference with adding the ARB fridge. Today or tomorrow I will be adding about a inch to my preload to get the Jeep up a little and we will see how that does. I could see how many would think they might be a little soft - but so far I love the soft ride. Work in progress :thumb:

noroad

I think it would be great if they could be ordered with the spring rate people want. like a drop down bracket for locker options on vendors pages. I like the rate that I have but when she is load she kinda needs the next level. almost need a DD set and a wheeling set.

blue jeep is 250/250 front and 200/250 rear
green is 200/250 rear only

dchew

Caught the Bug
I am fine with the front, have about 1.5" of preload there. But the back not so much. I wanted it as low as possible but was bottoming out on pavement. Pretty harsh bang (I have king bumps).

Eventually I got stiffer springs from EVO and dialed in about 2" of gap between the bump extension and the stop. It rides much better and only bottoms occasionally. I'm not with the jeep right now so not sure what the springs are, but I think 250/350 in the back. Still std in the front.

Dave

I am fine with the front, have about 1.5" of preload there. But the back not so much. I wanted it as low as possible but was bottoming out on pavement. Pretty harsh bang (I have king bumps).

Eventually I got stiffer springs from EVO and dialed in about 2" of gap between the bump extension and the stop. It rides much better and only bottoms occasionally. I'm not with the jeep right now so not sure what the springs are, but I think 250/350 in the back. Still std in the front.

Dave

I'm really new to the whole coil-over thing but wouldn't adjusting the timing ring help the heavier coil engage more quickly and keep you from a hard bumpstop hit?

dchew

Caught the Bug
Yes that's right. My timing rings are like 1/2" away at rest. Probably need even stiffer springs. I'm not dialing it in any more because I'm in the process of installing the rear lever DTD.

SFNick

The front setup, out of the box has been great but as others have stated the rear seems to bottom out way too easy. I have been running 250/250 with 1" of preload but today I added another 1" to see if it helps with the bottoming out. I'm thinking about going up to a 300 or 350 spring but I here that adds more lift?

munstie

Did you have these issues with your bolt on coilovers Eddie. And I'm guessing this is fixable with spring rates. I'm curious now as the bolt on coilover is in the near future.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So far on my two door the spring rates right out of the box seem really good. I just need to make some adjustment to the timing rings in the front and rear. Also might lower my adjustment collar up front from 1.75" to 1.50" and the rear down from 2" to 1.75" since I still seem to be sitting a little heigh

dchew

Caught the Bug
I should reiterate that I'm sitting pretty low. Near as I can tell with the std measurements I am only 3.75" of lift. I also am one of the few that did the 3 degree high clearance axle mounts in the rear. That makes it even tricker to dial in I think.

The great thing about this system is the fact that you can play with springs, timing rings, lift, etc. But of course that takes time and a bit of trial and error.

Dave

devwil68

Loving then right now, the only issue that I have is how noisy the slider is. You spend almost 2k on suspension and it creaks on any bump you go over!!!

Jtmw

So far on my two door the spring rates right out of the box seem really good. I just need to make some adjustment to the timing rings in the front and rear. Also might lower my adjustment collar up front from 1.75" to 1.50" and the rear down from 2" to 1.75" since I still seem to be sitting a little heigh

I'm speaking for a two door running them up front. I wish they came a little softer/top coil shorter. I can't get my height low enough to look/feel right with 35's similar to what Steve said above here.

Edit : They just need to make an option for the lighter two door :)

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have these issues with your bolt on coilovers Eddie. And I'm guessing this is fixable with spring rates. I'm curious now as the bolt on coilover is in the near future.

Yes, that is why we were running the higher spring rates we were running. But, that is the beauty of coil overs - you can customize them to however you want.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm speaking for a two door running them up front. I wish they came a little softer/top coil shorter. I can't get my height low enough to look/feel right with 35's similar to what Steve said above here.

Edit : They just need to make an option for the lighter two door :)

Let me clarify a little for my set up. I think it looks and feels great where it's at. The only thing with the front is that I need to lower my timing ring so it hits sooner. Height wise mine has actually settled a little which has made it better. I know 37's will fit perfectly where it's at now. For 35's it leaves me enough room to flex everything out perfectly.

For you I might just have some more weight on my jeep which is helping it settler quicker and ride lower

Jtmw

Let me clarify a little for my set up. I think it looks and feels great where it's at. The only thing with the front is that I need to lower my timing ring so it hits sooner. Height wise mine has actually settled a little which has made it better. I know 37's will fit perfectly where it's at now. For 35's it leaves me enough room to flex everything out perfectly.

For you I might just have some more weight on my jeep which is helping it settler quicker and ride lower

All I can think is add a winch, What else could i do to help? I've had them on there for months and it wont seem to settle.

SaddleTramp

When I had them, I switched the rear uppers to 250 making both front and rear 250/250 and loved the ride and, lift height and less rear bottoming out vs 200/250 rear I started with. No complaints at all when running this kit. It was fun to experiment and change spring rates and lift height.

Top Bottom