1310 cv driveshaft repair

BertaNation

So my front 1310 driveshaft has been making some noise. I greased it up and it went away for a bit. Now after a wheeling trip it is worse and got a vibration at about 60.
I am pretty sure i need to replace the cv yoke/ball.
Anyone have experience at this? Is it worth paying a shop to do it or should I give it a go on my own?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I've had my driveshaft rebuilt before by a local driveshaft shop.I had the entire CV replaced and the driveshaft rebalanced for about $120. I think it's worth it to have professionals do it because if I messed something up driveshaft failure can lead to catastrophic failure of everything else. Just my $.02

JAGS

Hooked
Just a hunch, but you probably don't have the machinery to rebalance a driveshaft. I had my front 1350 completely rebuilt after 27-28K on it. Required all new joints and a rebalance. I want to say it was about $180. Worth it in my book.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Didn't think I would need to rebalance the shaft.

Just like your wheels, they need balanced from time to time. And like your wheels it's just some small flat weights that they weld on to keep it spinning smooth.

I've had to do it on a fairly new one. Sometimes they aren't perfect from the mfg, but usually they are - depends on the mfg.

BertaNation

It's actually a pretty new shaft. Only about 7k on it. Didn't have adjustable control arms for a while and I think the bad angle wore it out prematurely

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's actually a pretty new shaft. Only about 7k on it. Didn't have adjustable control arms for a while and I think the bad angle wore it out prematurely

You did say that this issue occurred after you went wheeling, right? It just takes one wheeling trip to knock off a weight and throw your shaft out of balance. Of course, if you think you know what caused the problem you are having, who am I to argue with that. Me, I was under the impression you were looking for some help :)

JAGS

Hooked

If you start changing out parts/joints, it's more than likely not going to go back together EXACTLY the same with the same weight distribution. Why not spend a little more and do it right and get it balanced??? :idontknow: Not to also mentioned what Wayolife said about a weight getting knocked off.

I alluded to this in my first post in that a re-balance might be the only thing you need. A quality driveline shop will inspect and report back what all is needed.

Gunner

My buddy had a local service station doing his lubes. They neglected to lube his Ball in the center of the CV. This was what happened. Get it checked. This cost close to 9k to fix. Trans was damaged as well as the Rubi Crawler. So he rebuilt the trans, installed a Atlas 4 speed and upgraded to 1350 joints. It let loose on the freeway. One minute normal noise then big buzz and boom. CV Joint.jpg Transfer case.jpg

Top Bottom