Long Arms or Coilovers First?

JGreer

So my original build plan was to order a set of Fox coilovers and weld in towers. I had a bit of fear with running bolt-on coilovers until I thought "what the hell" and gave EVO a call. Mel talked to me on the phone for about a half hour about his thoughts between bolt-on and weld-on. He didn't try to sell me on either one and really didn't try to talk me into EVOs kit over the Fox. I was really impressed and in all honesty, trust his experience wayyy over my own.

So long story short, I have changed directions on upgrading my rig as it is and plan on running the bolt-on EVO kit and moving to long arms. So here is my question, at this point, I can decide on one or the other with the other stage of the upgrade coming in the spring. So what would your thoughts be, coilovers or long arms first? I do currently have adjustable RockKrawler mid-arms that I have been happy with.

I looked at your profile but didn't see any rig info. Do you have a 2-door or 4-door?

IMO the long arms are way more important on a 2-door as the shorter wheelbase and 3-4" of lift jacks the anti-squat and makes the Jeep nose-happy. The only real reason I've found to push me into long arms on a 4-door is the pinion and axle deflection at with big droop. This isn't to say they aren't nice on either Jeep, but IMO the importance is different.

JGreer

As far as my set-up here is what I currently run:

3.5" RockKrawler Max Travel kit (front and rear adj control arms)
ProRock 44 Front
37s
Stock drive shaft. However, I planned on doing the COs first then measuring for a new DS.
Full steel armor, fenders, and skids. I should have enough weight to keep the lift with COs at 3.5"

One thing I forgot to mention was I planned on coilovers in the front only. Keeping rear coils/shocks.

Havoc40

Why would you do something like that?

I was about to say the same thing :thinking:. I can understand doing that until funds allow for the rear...but not as the end game. If that's the case, I'd just do the DD long arm with King 2.5 shocks. To each his own, though.

JGreer

Why would you do something like that?

I was about to say the same thing :thinking:. I can understand doing that until funds allow for the rear...but not as the end game. If that's the case, I'd just do the DD long arm with King 2.5 shocks. To each his own, though.

No, no, sorry guys. I will be doing rear COs at a later date. Goal of the build is to end up with front and rear COs and long arms. Right now I can either do long arms or the front COs. I was just trying to make it clear that only the front coil overs would be done at this time.

And just realized I forgot to mention this is on a 2-door.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No, no, sorry guys. I will be doing rear COs at a later date. Goal of the build is to end up with front and rear COs and long arms. Right now I can either do long arms or the front COs. I was just trying to make it clear that only the front coil overs would be done at this time.

I would do rear CO first over front. Noroad has his like this and he said he noticed a huge difference in how his jeep drives. He also already has a long arm installed

jknit

I know these things and decisions are extraordinarily expensive, but why not wait until
You can afford the full long arm/coilover package from Evo and do it all at the same time? Why put front coilover a in with the rest of a suspension not designed to function with that coilover...then you put miles and usage on an expensive part. By the time you can afford the next piece you have a lot of miles on the first parts and will be playing constant catch up? The only advice I can give you, coming from someone who got rid of his 2010 unlimited 3 payments before payoff and only 40k in because I didn't do anything right the first time...is take the time save the money and have someone under your rig installing the right parts, the first time.

Top Bottom