Is it worth going from 15/59 springs to 19/60 springs on a sahara?

Ryldup

Any comments on whether it would be worth the effort to swap out to 19/60 springs(and the shocks) off a 2015 Rubicon onto my 08 JKU? The stock springs are 15/59. I was hoping to get just a little more height for the ride. Not interested in getting a huge lift anytime soon. At the very least, I'm due up for some new rubber in the spring, and was hoping to get some Duratracs, just not set on size, but possibly look at some 35's of some type. Either duratracs or other, on stock 18" wheels. I've heard the good and bad on a budget boost. Amount of work to get everything swapped out on the shocks and springs, is it worth the effort? I would think at the very least, the shocks from the Rubi would be better than what's on the stock sahara. I don't do a lot of off-roading, mainlyt logging or forest service roads, and don't intend to ever rock crawl with this rig. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What bad have you heard about coil spacers? If you ask me, if you're going to go through the trouble of pulling your coils to give your Jeep more lift, you might as well do it with something that will ACTUALLY give you more lift and at an amount that you can physically measure. In other words, swapping factory coils are a complete waste of time and money. But, that's just me.

JK LYF

From 15/59 to 19/60, not worth it in my opinion. No significant difference in height. As Eddie said, coil spacers.

As far as shocks, I did the swap and really couldn't tell a difference at all. But that was my experience, others may have experienced a better ride.

Ryldup

I was thinking budget boost, if I'm doing that, I may as well do the Rubi shocks and coils for the money. I know a guy that has some shocks and coils(19/60) off his 2015 that are 19/60. May as well get a little better off road performance with the Rubi shocks and the stiffer coils. But then again, I'm a noobie so no idea if in on the right track. My thought was while I have it apart, may as well upgrade even if it's a little.

KYRubi

Why not just do a leveling kit? You're not going to notice any height gain in the rear, and might get 3/4" -1" up front and a noticeably stiffer front end going to 19/60. A 1.5" leveling kit is very easy to install, low price, and will give you 1" in the rear and 2" in the front which will take the rake out of it.

Ryldup

This rig is also my daily driver. So I am interested in how it's gonna handle. Don't mind a little stiff, but want it to be a decent driver too.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Depends on price of springs. If they were free, I would probably do it. If they were $100, I would skip them. That's just me though. $100 plus the cost of a leveling kit or budget boost wouldn't be worth it to me. I would start looking at a kit with different front springs at least. Something like the EVO leveling kit or the rancho 2 inch kit.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Coils made it stiff, Rubi shocks helped it. If you install a BB or LK it should not change the ride. Mine is a daily driver and have been running these for most of the 80,000 plus miles I have on it. I to run service roads.

Ryldup

I could get the coils and shocks for under $100, probably closer to $70 total. It's good to hear from those that have what would be a similar setup. I'm thinking if I could get the shocks/coils from the 2015 Rubi for under $75, and then grab like a Teraflex leveling kit for around $155, I'd be right where I want to be. I really only want a couple more inches, and not going to do any serious off-roading. About the worst thing I go over are some forest service roads that have a little washout and uneven. More often than not, it's at the beach, or taking it on the forest service roads to go hiking, or hauling the kayaks on top. I appreciate all the input on this. I know everyone has there own opinions, and this is way more helpful to me than the "other" forum sites.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I could get the coils and shocks for under $100, probably closer to $70 total. It's good to hear from those that have what would be a similar setup. I'm thinking if I could get the shocks/coils from the 2015 Rubi for under $75, and then grab like a Teraflex leveling kit for around $155, I'd be right where I want to be. I really only want a couple more inches, and not going to do any serious off-roading. About the worst thing I go over are some forest service roads that have a little washout and uneven. More often than not, it's at the beach, or taking it on the forest service roads to go hiking, or hauling the kayaks on top. I appreciate all the input on this. I know everyone has there own opinions, and this is way more helpful to me than the "other" forum sites.

I really like the stiffer springs as well. It helps when you load up your rig it does not sag as much. My springs, shocks and leveling kit was all slightly used. Great option IMO for someone on a budget. I would love to go balls out on mine, but it would be overkill for my needs.

Ryldup

Catahoula, that's EXACTLY where I'm at. Extremely helpful. I am on a budget. Would love to really jack it up, but don't have the money, and would be overkill for my needs. Not to mention tough to get the kayaks on top.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Catahoula, that's EXACTLY where I'm at. Extremely helpful. I am on a budget. Would love to really jack it up, but don't have the money, and would be overkill for my needs. Not to mention tough to get the kayaks on top.

Wanna see a pic of mine? Hee Hee! Just a joke.

Ryldup

I like my offroad hero top better than the hard top. Just makes it hard for the kayaks without the rails of the hardtop. I almost bought a set of Rubi wheels when I first got it in January. Was a heck of a deal, then decided to plastidip. I'm happy with the plastidip for now. Chopping the front bumper too. Ordered the vdp caps.

USMC Wrangler

The EVO leveling kit is the same price you are talking about and a better ride than factory coils and spacers, in my experience. Yep, I've run both configurations. Just my two cents.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444692347.918497.jpg

Ryldup

Jeep bro, sorry, optical illusion. It's the silver cover that blends in with the sidewalk. I've got some figure 9's hanging down off the hitch. Use it for tying down the kayaks.

Top Bottom