Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western VA camping this weekend

Western VA camping this weekend

So me and some friends are going to do another camping trip this weekend in the GWNF area of VA, gonna hit some new trails, thinking Bald Mountain right now. Come up if you want to join!

Quote Originally Posted by Warebear View Post
    So me and some friends are going to do another camping trip this weekend in the GWNF area of VA, gonna hit some new trails, thinking Bald Mountain right now. Come up if you want to join!
    As in the Potts Mountain Jeep trail?

Western VA camping this weekend

Possibly? I just googled good trails and one called Bald Mountain looked pretty good

There is tons out there, I'm just trying to find the best ones, dont really know all of the names

Possibly? I just googled good trails and one called Bald Mountain looked pretty good
    There is tons out there, I'm just trying to find the best ones, dont really know all of the names
    I was just going off of my map overlay when I googled it because I've never heard of it either.
    1444858256505.jpg
    Potts is the blue trail and from what I've been told a JKU needs at least 35s.

I've also been told that there are a lot of trails out that way but the locals keep them under wraps to prevent them from being shut down.

Just wish it wasn't 5 fucking hours away.

Ya that might be it, I've been too busy to look closer yet, but this is what I was going off earlier...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...esbL8&hl=en_US

Ya that might be it, I've been too busy to look closer yet, but this is what I was going off earlier...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...esbL8&hl=en_US
    Link wouldn't work through my phone but looking into a little more it looks like Bald mountain is another name for Big levels. If it is the same it's a fun trail.

Just make sure you follow the Orange diamond shaped trail markers. They mark the main trail. The yellow diamond markers are camping off shoots that lead to dead ends.

Alright man thanks. Trying to hit as many trails as we can.

Knows a Thing or Two holliewood61's Avatar
    Where are you staying? There is a bald mtn just down from the potts trail. There is the pines campground between the two potts trail heads, its free primitive camping but if you want to camp I suggest the field on top of potts mtn. You cant miss it the trail runs right through it. We stayed up there a couple weekends ago. You can get a rig through potts on 33's with traction adders but be sure to have rocker protection.

A nice but not so challenging ride is mountain lake just outside of Pembroke va and white rocks campground Is up that way.

There is a rather rough and technical but very very short trail on rt 100 just outside of narrows va called copperhead.

Also there is hogback ridge / kimberling creek outside of rocky gap va.

You may look up new river valley jeep club on facebook and see if they have anything going on that you could join.
    Last edited by holliewood61; 10-15-2015 at 05:09 AM.
    Beat it to fit, paint it to match

08 WK
    00 WJ
    99 TJ
    81 CJ7
    60 CJ5

Best wheeling in WV
    http://trailsheaven.com/Plan-Your-TR...vy-Branch.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
    Where are you staying? There is a bald mtn just down from the potts trail. There is the pines campground between the two potts trail heads, its free primitive camping but if you want to camp I suggest the field on top of potts mtn. You cant miss it the trail runs right through it. We stayed up there a couple weekends ago. You can get a rig through potts on 33's with traction adders but be sure to have rocker protection.

A nice but not so challenging ride is mountain lake just outside of Pembroke va and white rocks campground Is up that way.

There is a rather rough and technical but very very short trail on rt 100 just outside of narrows va called copperhead.

Also there is hogback ridge / kimberling creek outside of rocky gap va.

You may look up new river valley jeep club on facebook and see if they have anything going on that you could join.
    Oh awesome! Thanks for the info, we will check out that campsite on Potts. I'll see if we can hit all these trails this weekend. Anyone gonna make it out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast