Help Diagnosing sound when engine is at operating temp coming from Glove Box/engine

martinzusmc

I need some help diagnosing a sound coming from the engine bay that your can hear through the cabin near the glove box.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/procharger.

Sound only happens when the Jeep is at normal operating temp. So I am thinking it has to do with thermostat?
Sound will go away when wheel is turned or the engine is above 3K rpms. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Previous owner says he couldn't figure it out. It happened after the supercharger install, but not right away.

https://youtu.be/ak-CjVld1j8

jeeeep

Hooked
you may have an air bubble in your cooling system and you're hearing it in the heater core.
Assuming you're not smelling antifreeze or see any drips in the interior?

I'd remove the radiator cap while cool, start it up, turn the heater on so it cycles through the heater core and let it run, you'll either get one big burst of bubbles or a bunch of smaller ones. you may have to add more fluid so have the proper fluid handy before you start.

Also jack the front up slightly to let gravity help the process

Last edited:

martinzusmc

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. I was reading about possible air in the heater core, so I will try that. The fact that moving the steering wheel will make it go away for a second still has me starting my head.

martinzusmc

I was doing a little more research and wondering if this sounds like the water pump to anyone? I will bust out my auto stethoscope and see if I can pin-point it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's the heater core (you're hearing running water I assume correct?) That's just a little air in your system. Burping the system usually solves that problem. I would try and burp the system yourself, dealers have been known to make the problem worse, or do dumb things like replace the entire heater core which creates a whole mess of problems. I burped my system and it got a bit better but the problem remained (when the rig was new)...and it went away with a bit of time. I try and not let the dealer touch too many things, they usually make things worse.

jeeeep

Hooked
you've got air in the system and it will make noise at the water pump, like a propeller in the water when it cavitates

martinzusmc

I wasn't able to burp the system this past weekend, so hopefully I can get to it this weekend. Thanks for all the feedback.. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom