Tuffy over head cb console?

1BAMF'nJKU

I have been debating purchasing the tuffy overhead console to mount my cobra lx29 cb and possibly attempt to add sPod type switches on he driver side of the box. Has anyone installed this? What's the purpose of the knob close to the sound bar? Thx

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I ran one for a while. That knob lets the CB slide forward so you can access your latches for the freedom top.

Edit: the only thing I didn't like was the amount of view that's blocked by the Tuffy when the tops off. Otherwise it's a great unit. I switched over to a Cobra 75 for it's compactness but sacrificed range. Still love the 75 though.

Last edited:
I ran one for a while. That knob lets the CB slide forward so you can access your latches for the freedom top.

Edit: the only thing I didn't like was the amount of view that's blocked by the Tuffy wham the tops off. Otherwise it's a great unit. I switched over to a Cobra 75 for it's compactness but sacrificed range. Still love the 75 though.

What do you mean sacrificed range? As in functionality or physical broadcasting range?

Trail JK

I have been debating purchasing the tuffy overhead console to mount my cobra lx29 cb and possibly attempt to add sPod type switches on he driver side of the box. Has anyone installed this? What's the purpose of the knob close to the sound bar? Thx

I ran one in the past and wasn't in love with it. I hit my head on the corner of it a handful of times. Lol no joke it hurts. I figured if the Jeep ever flopped hitting your head wouldn't be good so I removed it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
What do you mean sacrificed range? As in functionality or physical broadcasting range?

Physical broadcast range. The smaller handheld 75 just doesn't have the same output as a larger CB like the Cobra 29, which is what I ran while I had the Tuffy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran one in the past and wasn't in love with it. I hit my head on the corner of it a handful of times. Lol no joke it hurts. I figured if the Jeep ever flopped hitting your head wouldn't be good so I removed it.

LOL!! This ^^^

The idea of one is great and but I have hit my head more than once getting into my Jeep. So long as you can be mindful of it, I'll get the job done well. Me, I got rid of mine after getting a Rock Hard sport cage.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

Physical broadcast range. The smaller handheld 75 just doesn't have the same output as a larger CB like the Cobra 29, which is what I ran while I had the Tuffy.

This is technically incorrect. The 75 WXST broadcasts at 4w like everyone else. Typically people don't tune them right so their range is bad, but if properly tuned it should function as well as any other CB out there.

This is technically incorrect. The 75 WXST broadcasts at 4w like everyone else. Typically people don't tune them right so their range is bad, but if properly tuned it should function as well as any other CB out there.

That is correct. Unless the radio has been modified they all broadcast at 4W. It's usually cable routing or antenna tune that's causing the degrade in "performance".

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

That is correct. Unless the radio has been modified they all broadcast at 4W. It's usually cable routing or antenna tune that's causing the degrade in "performance".

Ok good information guys, thanks! I've never tuned the CB itself just adjusted the antenna whip length to correct the SWR. I just have a 3'whip antenna after breaking my Wilson fiberglass antenna. Sorry for the hijack OP.

I too hit my head on the corner of the Tuffy a couple times and it really hurts. [emoji37]

Top Bottom