Low engine coolant

MTG

Caught the Bug
As I was attempting to clean my engine of mud this afternoon I noticed my engine coolant was really low. Below the min coolant line low. Not sure how long it has been that low.

What would cause this? What do I need to check for? Obviously I haven't noticed any leaking before.

I picked up some Mopar antifreeze and mixed it 50/50 with distilled water and topped it off in the reservoir to the max fill line. What else do I have to do, if anything?

Thanks!

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
Is it safe to assume your engine was cold when you checked it?

Yes. I had driven it earlier in the day but it had sat for an hour or so. Plus I had just doused the engine with water.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I had driven it earlier in the day but it had sat for an hour or so. Plus I had just doused the engine with water.

With your engine warm, the fluid level would have been higher up. It's good that you filled it up some but, I'm sure you were fine.

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
With your engine warm, the fluid level would have been higher up. It's good that you filled it up some but, I'm sure you were fine.

Cool! Just so I'm clear, the coolant was at the very bottom of the reservoir tank and took about 1/4 gallon to fill up.

Oh and I'm never wheeling in mug again!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! Just so I'm clear, the coolant was at the very bottom of the reservoir tank and took about 1/4 gallon to fill up.

Oh and I'm never wheeling in mug again!

Yup, and the next time you go wheeling, you'll probably see it spilling out on top of your front differential so don't be alarmed, it's just coolant :D

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yup, and the next time you go wheeling, you'll probably see it spilling out on top of your front differential so don't be alarmed, it's just coolant :D

That happened to Chris on the last run we did in Vegas. Should I pull a little out or just not worry about it?

Thanks for you help! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That happened to Chris on the last run we did in Vegas. Should I pull a little out or just not worry about it?

Thanks for you help! :thumb:

Nah, it's just coolant. You'll see it and smell it but, it's fine.

Top Bottom