Parking brake cable removal.

Tree Frog

Could someone please tell me if there is an easy way to remove the parking brake cables.

I want to get the little S hooks out of the backing plates so I can try to reroute the cables underneath the cross member. They are laying hard on the fuel filler neck and lines just at ride height and I can just see them ripping the filler neck off the tank with as much drop as I have now.

I guess I could try to pull everything apart and back the tension off as much as possible then try it. However knowing you guys there is some easy way to do this without having to totally disassemble my rear brakes.

Thank you.

Tree Frog

Really?

Okay I will give it a go.

If this works I swear I will feel so stupid.
But I will be very thankful for your help. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you need to grab the hook with a pair of vice grips and you can wiggle it free of the tab. It'll take a little effort to do but, that's how it's done.

T&ERun

LOSER
Try to unseat the spring first. Pull back on the spring and slide off its keeper. Makes it easier to remove the S hook.

Tree Frog

Well I wanted to say thanks for the help. At least I was able to get my head around what needed to be done.

After several attempts to get it to just pull off, realized it was not going to be that easy.

Tried several things but the one that worked best for me was to take the cable end with the three little tabs on it and squeeze them in, then pull it back so the end would clear the mount then bring it down so the cable was free.
At that point I used needle nose plyers and slid the spring back until the plug thing could be worked free and the cable brought down out of its mount.

Now that there was no tension on the little S hook and it just came right out with a gentle pull by hand.

Rerouted the cables under the cross member and well below the gas evap and filler lines, a few zip ties and all is good now.

Surprised we have not heard more about this little problem.

Read someplace (here or on JKF) about a guy that had it break off his filler neck from the tank and it got me thinking. Glad I checked it.
Just never thought about it even with pulling the tank. Seemed kind of snug but I forgot that with movement the plastic filler could easily break off the side of the tank causing a very expensive replacement.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom