D30 axles for 35's

Skirmish

They've got the full circle clips Eddie preaches about so I think you are gold. Some day I'm gonna research that so I know why it's important. For now I'm just gonna assume it will stop my axle from falling off. I do get why RVC isn't necessarily good though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They've got the full circle clips Eddie preaches about so I think you are gold. Some day I'm gonna research that so I know why it's important. For now I'm just gonna assume it will stop my axle from falling off. I do get why RVC isn't necessarily good though.

:cheesy: I apologize if you think I "preach" about full circle clips - I tend to think of it as trying to save people money on things they really don't need and by virtue of it, allow them to buy OTHER things they could really use :yup:

As far as why they are important to have goes, time and wheeling a lot can cause your u-joint bearing caps to rotate with in the yokes. factory front axle shafts come with C-clips and this rotation can cause the them to pry off. Once the c-clip is gone, it's just a matter of time before the bearing cap works itself free and falls out. Without it in place, the strength of your u-joint will be totally compromised and failure will occur. Now, full circle clips do exactly what their name implies, they wrap all the way around the bearing cap and that prevents it from ever coming off in the first place. Again, this isn't something you can get with factory shafts and, that's why factory shafts tend to fail.

Now, don't get me wrong, RCV are nice shafts and ones that I have run before but, for the premium price, I just don't know if it's really worth it. The money you save by not getting them is significant and can get you a lot of other pricy mods. Also, I would be the first to say that CV joints are super strong but, that's another concern of mine - they may be too strong and if I were to break an axle shaft, I would prefer that it be at the u-joint and not deep inside the housing or worse, at the ring & pinion. But of course, that's just me. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
:cheesy: I apologize if you think I "preach" about full circle clips - I tend to think of it as trying to save people money on things they really don't need and by virtue of it, allow them to buy OTHER things they could really use :yup:

As far as why they are important to have goes, time and wheeling a lot can cause your u-joint bearing caps to rotate with in the yokes. factory front axle shafts come with C-clips and this rotation can cause the them to pry off. Once the c-clip is gone, it's just a matter of time before the bearing cap works itself free and falls out. Without it in place, the strength of your u-joint will be totally compromised and failure will occur. Now, full circle clips do exactly what their name implies, they wrap all the way around the bearing cap and that prevents it from ever coming off in the first place. Again, this isn't something you can get with factory shafts and, that's why factory shafts tend to fail.

Now, don't get me wrong, RCV are nice shafts and ones that I have run before but, for the premium price, I just don't know if it's really worth it. The money you save by not getting them is significant and can get you a lot of other pricy mods. Also, I would be the first to say that CV joints are super strong but, that's another concern of mine - they may be too strong and if I were to break an axle shaft, I would prefer that it be at the u-joint and not deep inside the housing or worse, at the ring & pinion. But of course, that's just me. :yup:

Can I get an amen?!

:cheesy:

FoxC

Isn't it wise to have your drive shaft as the "fuse" or weak spot more so than inner shafts or shaft ujoints? I think this theory is even more important when using RCV's...???

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't it wise to have your drive shaft as the "fuse" or weak spot more so than inner shafts or shaft ujoints? I think this theory is even more important when using RCV's...???

I don't know if I can say that I'm one who's into the idea of fuses as I would prefer things just not to break in the first place. My concern with RCV's is that their CV joint may in fact be disproportionately stronger than everything else. It's great that it won't break but, it's hard to predict what will. Depending on what you're doing, I think your odds of breaking a shaft or ring gear would still be greater than breaking even a 1310 shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My RCV's are good to go...i dont 4 wheel over or in big tractor tires. I prefer rocks...

Hahahahahaha, lmao

:cheesy: Like I said, I've run them before and they are nice shafts. Most of the people who ask for advice usually ask for it with budget in mind. I just try to share what I know and people can take it or leave it :yup:

1BAMFR

:cheesy: Like I said, I've run them before and they are nice shafts. Most of the people who ask for advice usually ask for it with budget in mind. I just try to share what I know and people can take it or leave it :yup:

Nice, I've learned alot from your posts over the years......Everything is breakable.....I blew my bulletproof 8.8 in my G. Cherokee last month!

Gibbo

Yeah I noticed they had full circle clips, so I guess they're as good a brand as any.

Skirmish

I really need to open up an axle to see what's inside to understand it all so for now I will just accept WOL's advice. Not a bad thing to preach the truth. I definitely see the benefit of a ujoint breaking as they are cheap and accessible. If I busted a shaft I wouldn't know where to start till I got into it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I just took some pics and looked for others to help illustrate things for you. This first shot shows a typical u-joint along with a standard C-clip on the left (what comes on factory axle shafts) and a full circle clip on the right (what you typically get on a chromoly shaft)...

main.php

This shot shows how a basic C-clip is installed and what can happen if it gets pried off. As you will see, without the bearing cap in place, the trunion is left to tear off the ear of the yoke...
main.php

Here is a shot of a typical front axle break. As you can see, it occured at the U-joint and most likely because of a bearing cap had been lost...
main.php

Here's a shot of chromoly shaft with full circle clips installed. Notice how the clips go all the way around the bearing caps. There is no way for them to get pried off...
main.php

I hope that helps you to see things a little more clearly. :cool:

Top Bottom