Average TJ Build

Project: 'It's just a TJ, keep scrolling'

Here's my quick build up of my daily driver.

How I bought it
image_zpsyudol2si.jpeg

Was not okay with the stock light output in any way so first thing it got was a nice set of PIAA plasma ion fog lights
image_zpsr11f45dz.jpeg

It's first real trip through the snowy woods
{ Pic lost }

And it's first real carnage.
{ Pic lost }

Exhaust came loose, dragged down and wrapped around the axle. Whoopsie.
C8D4B33C-3359-43B9-9128-E7ED4168432C_zpsgpyioy3i.jpg

Last edited:
It didn't have any reliable rear recovery points so I went and visited these guys
879FA80C-D028-49F1-9A71-5BB3EEAD97FA_zpsfkuwyurb.jpg

And got they're DIY weld yourself bumper kit.
9AA1AA13-C59A-4F3E-8D15-A1138CA9CE19_zpsfcszbmwo.jpg

Bedlined and installed
7E07A5E2-2DAA-49EB-8524-341E2EBFA4A8_zpsi35bhzab.jpg

Last edited:
Found a deal I couldn't pass up and added a Badlands 12,000 lb winch. It's no warn, but it's never let me down and I've put it through its paces over the last two years.

After that it stayed pretty much the same through winter until spring when I noticed its rust issues became extreme problems very quickly. Which brings us to the "build" section of this

You can see the light through the tub in this one. Essentially the driver side floor pans, the bottom of the tub under the door, and some frame section as well.

Last edited:
Once all the welding was done on the patch panels

Started with the tube fenders

Replacement turn signals

And JCR Rock rails/steps as well as a set of 33x13.50 swappers a friend had laying around were test fitted and never removed.

Gotta love the functionality of a 33" footrest.

Last edited:
And did some finishing work

Had to drive it to to a heated garage space to do the rest so the Bedliner would cure. Looks so cute with a ratchet strap holding it together.

Annnnd bed line

Interior

And for 40 a pair I had to try out these eBay 18w work lights

Welded tabs for those onto the windshield hinges and finished welding the fenders and she's mostly done

Accidentally made a smiley face with the lights. I've had the led's on over a year and never an issue, no leaks and a hell of a lot of light output.

Last edited:

After having the led cubes for awhile I decided their quality was good enough and I saw no reason to not get their reasonably priced big brother.
Which brings us to mounts, holy crap the retail market of mounts is ungodly expensive, so instead grabbed some scrap steel laying around and installed a few stainless to nuts into the side of the windshield frame and bent these mounts to fit the bar

And it is hands down the best thing I've ever put on a car ever. Not just for night country driving but I regularly use it as a flashlight while working on anything and everything ands it's awesome

For those of you wondering about the strength of the mount/rivnuts I recently accidentally found a tree and the driver side mount took on an extremely hard hit and also scraped in my door. But no damage to bar or mount held up like a champ.
As far as light output, hard to see the actual distance this lights up with phone pictures but can definitely see intensity

No lights

Headlights/fogs

Blinders

Found some mud through the snow

Last edited:
The only time this guys left me stranded, towed it all the way home to find a loose ground at the fuel pump. Simple enough

Pickin on the lil kid

By this point I had ran the swamp era bald and cupped and tread falling off, a coworker had some 32s he had laying around that were pretty cracked he let me have with almost new tread, so I decided is give it a try on the stock wheels and worst case scenario they'd blow and I'd swap the swampera back on no big deal

Enjoyed the increase in traction and mpg for a couple weeks til I got a flat and decided that it's not the best idea to drive on cracked open sidewalls.

Found a good deal on some 33 12.50 Baja claws. So far been great, however they make the jeep look tiny in comparison to the swampers, ah well still plenty capable.

Picked up some new recessed work lights for reverse

Was not happy with how the rust oleum paint standard up through winter so repainted the everything that decided to turn rust orange

Also this chalk wasn't the easiest to get off

Last edited:

Its been a fun summer of actually getting to drive it more than fix it so that's how it stayed for awhile. Until now that I need to get it ready for winter duty slowly knocking off the list one by one.
Which brings us to this weeks fun, brown Santa came with half the order, hopefully the other half shows soon so I can get started. :)

Last edited:
Got a little antsy waiting for the rest of the shipment to show up so popped the passenger seat out

Took it apart

Tried to do this without splitting the seat apart but wasn't happening.

Test fit the heater pads

Put the covers back on

Cut a couple slits for the wiring and put the seat back together

And a quick test run

One seat down one to go

Last edited:
This one starts the harder stuff...
I ran some thick wiring through the firewall for the power distribution block, doesn't need anywhere near this gauge of wire for my accessories but I am planning on installing an amp in the future so figured might as well just run the thicker wire now and be done.
Installed a couple grommets and sealed it up right with silicon

Next part is fixing this mess. So here's the before rats neat of wiring

And here's where the new fuse panel is going

And fun things to come

Last edited:
Nice to see another TJ on here :)
Yeah there don't seem to be many on here, I suppose they're getting older and not as fun to play with.

Add a new windshield to the list.... Really bums me out because this windshield is only a month old now and caught a rock from a gravel truck on the highway today, called the company up and they essentially told me to "prove it" to which I was not very happy with, it's unnecessary to treat people that way a simple "I'm sorry that happened, I will talk with the driver and see what happened and why gravel was flying out of the truck if the cover wasn't in place correctly or what, if you contact your insurance company and have them contact mine they can pursue the matter that way" instead of "well that's why you have insurance why are you calling me? I have a bunch of trucks out and who knows which one it was or if you're just trying to get me to buy you a windshield"
So not a great day. It's repairable, probably free through my insurance but still... Bummer.

Last edited:
Still waiting on the rest of the parts but I made some progress today with it

Left work early and started by taking the driver seat and center console out

Did a little cleaning of some old stains, this foaming tuff stuff cleaner is second only to an actual carpet shampooer

Measured and marked where I want the switches, drilled, installed.

Rtv'd them in place as that's what I had readily available, this didn't work and ended up using real 2 part epoxy.

Ran the wiring, for those of you that don't know a drill makes quick and easy work of wrapping wires to each other

Routed the wires under the carpet and center console up to the fuse panel

Reinstalled the center, which was a bit of a pain as the relay packs that c and with the seat heaters are full size, if I were to do it again I'd swap them to mini relays just for ease of fitting under the console.

Pulled apart the driver seat

Installed the heater pads and rebuilt, a little mad at myself for not doing both seats at the same time as I would have swapped the bottom cushion from passenger to driver as the diver is pretty worn out on the bolster. Ah well, next time.

Reinstalled the center console and the seats, and took it for a test drive.

Heaters work great and after about 2-3 miles I found myself switching them to the low setting, gonna be great when the snow hits!

Last edited:
Finally got my switch holders so I got started, not sure if I like the switch holders. They don't line up right unless I'm doing something wrong so I may just build my own. Also doc some mock up of where I want to mount it.

Last edited:
On top of the center there is where I was planning on putting these switches. The more I look at it though the less I like it..... Was going to fiberglass the holder in but now I'm debating where would look best for these 6 switches. Thinking about moving the hard top controls to the right and mounting the switches 2x3 like this

Any input from you guys on which you like better? Top mount is easier to access but uglier, bottom would be clean and evenly spaced with a correct looking backing plate but the bottom 3 switches would be annoying to hit, which unwound pick my 3 least used accessories for those. Would also require moving the hard top controls and oe fog light switches to where the ashtray is.

All input appreciated!

Last edited:
Top Bottom