Rock jock 60's blowing oil out everywhere....help.....

Holster642

SO I'M RUNNING A PAIR OF ROCK JOCK 60'S WITH ARB'S AND THEY ALWAYS LEAK OUT OUT OF THE AXLE BREATHER...... I HAVE READ A FEW THINGS THAT STATE THAT THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON. TODAY WHILE DRIVING BACK FROM WHEELING IT BEGAN BLOWING OIL OUT OF THE FRONT ARB AIR LINE WHERE IT HOOKS TO THE COMPRESSOR SOLENOID . NOT SURE THE ROOT OF THE ISSUE BUT I'M SURE I CANT BE THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS HAD THIS ISSUE.?.? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT BEFORE I TARE IT ALL DOWN.:mad::thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
oil level should be where it's about half the axle tube.

When I had my PR44 installed they overfilled it just a little and it spewed, doesn't seem to take too much overfill to make them spew

jeeeep

Hooked
yeah, that's what mine looked like, especially after wheeling and using the lockers. took weeks for the smell to get out of the interior as well.

If your diff covers don't have the upper fill hole and lower full level hole (plug) you can use a long white zip tie to estimate where 1/2 the axle tube fill point would be.

JAGS

Hooked
SO I'M RUNNING A PAIR OF ROCK JOCK 60'S WITH ARB'S AND THEY ALWAYS LEAK OUT OUT OF THE AXLE BREATHER...... I HAVE READ A FEW THINGS THAT STATE THAT THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON. TODAY WHILE DRIVING BACK FROM WHEELING IT BEGAN BLOWING OIL OUT OF THE FRONT ARB AIR LINE WHERE IT HOOKS TO THE COMPRESSOR SOLENOID . NOT SURE THE ROOT OF THE ISSUE BUT I'M SURE I CANT BE THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS HAD THIS ISSUE.?.? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT BEFORE I TARE IT ALL DOWN.:mad::thinking:

Over filled?

Dont think so.... Been running the same oil for about 6 months.

Have "THEY ALWAYS LEAK OUT OUT OF THE AXLE BREATHER....." for about 6 months? You stated yourself this isn't a new issue.

At the recent so-cal expo, the ARB rep said that is the number one cause (what TTFHELL said).

Holster642

Always leak a little out the breathers after a long road/wheel drive, but now it is spewing out of the arb line. At this point the lockers work with no issues.

JAGS

Hooked
Always leak a little out the breathers after a long road/wheel drive, but now it is spewing out of the arb line. At this point the lockers work with no issues.

So why did you dismiss that they are over filled? What you are describing is/are common problems when overfilled and running ARB lockers.

Holster642

SORRY!!! I guess I assumed that after 6 months on over filled diffs it wouldn't just start the ARB issue. If they are common issues with the ARB it is news for me as this issue just happened today. I ran a lot on the St Anthony sand dunes today so they got a workout so maybe heat + extra lube is the issue?

JAGS

Hooked
SORRY!!! I guess I assumed that after 6 months on over filled diffs it wouldn't just start the ARB issue. If they are common issues with the ARB it is news for me as this issue just happened today. I ran a lot on the St Anthony sand dunes today so they got a workout so maybe heat + extra lube is the issue?

Lol. Easy CAP KING. Ha ha. Just saying, start with the most obvious as suggested and work from there. Someone even posted how to check. [emoji106] You could have had an issue from previously over filling that just worked it way to the compressor.

I don't have ARB, but the others do. Just trying to help out as I literally just talked to the ARB rep on this a couple weeks ago. Good luck figuring it out. [emoji41]

dchew

Caught the Bug
Have you checked the axle breather tube lately? Could be plugged. You are seeing a much bigger mess now because that excess oil is blowing out the solenoid instead of the normal path through the breather tube.

Dave

Holster642

Found some issues when I opened up the rear diff. Found 3 broken teeth on my gear set and also found 4 stress cracks and all the bolt heads on the ARB sheered off. Oh well, all in good fun. Just not very nice on the pocket book...
REAR 1.jpg REAR 2.jpg REAR 3.jpg

Top Bottom