Anyone use a SCBA for compressed air?

BillTheCat

I have the opportunity to get a couple of SCBA tanks. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has used them for compressed air or CO2?

Ken

PS: SCBA = self-contained breathing apparatus .

resqman911

I had access to SCBA tanks to use for on board air also but the issue is volume, They will not produce near the volume that a CO2 system produce, and I'm not sure if you can change the valve to a CO2 set-up or if the tanks are rated to hold CO2.

noroad

I have used CO2 before from a local club guy that runs that set up, he liked it. was talking about how co2 is better in the tires for some reason, I cant remember what he said as I wasn't really paying any attention.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have an older scuba tank that I held on to from my paintball days, and thought about using it for airing up, but its large and heavy.

KenB1010

The SCBA tanks we use at work are 88cf of air. I don't know if that will get you enough air to help you. If you decide to go this route be sure to check hydro dates. Most places don't retire these tanks untill their out of hydro. Which means $$ to get them hydro tested, you won't be able to fill them legally if their out of date.

noroad

The SCBA tanks we use at work are 88cf of air. I don't know if that will get you enough air to help you. If you decide to go this route be sure to check hydro dates. Most places don't retire these tanks untill their out of hydro. Which means $$ to get them hydro tested, you won't be able to fill them legally if their out of date.

To re hydro a scuba tank is only about 30 bucks. I wouldn't factor that in to hard.

I have used CO2 before from a local club guy that runs that set up, he liked it. was talking about how co2 is better in the tires for some reason, I cant remember what he said as I wasn't really paying any attention.

CO2 is more permeable than standard air through most tire compounds and will leak out faster and is more sensitive to temp swings. Are you sure they were not talking about nitrogen?

Ddays

Hooked
Sorry to hijack but is there really a benefit to running Nitrogen? The air we all breathe is already 78% nitrogen. That 22% extra worth $18 per tire at Costco?

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
Catalina Scuba tanks are thicker than Catalina Co2 tanks 3500psi vs. 800psi. Just picked up a Powertank the tank Mfg. was Catalina

Flynlo

I'm assuming that you would carry the SCBA tank in the Jeep when you go out wheeling, correct? Those tanks are very heavy by comparison to a 10lb C02 tank. I like to save weight where I can, ounces and pounds = horsepower. Through craigslist or your local beverage distributer you could pick up a 10lb C02 tank and add your own regulators and fittings to use for your tires, basically a DIY Powertank. There's people on the interweb who have made their own portable C02 system for around $200.

I found that the benefit of C02 over compressed air is the with volume of air that C02 produces. "10lbs" of C02 (in a 10lb tank) gives you more overall air volume than compressed air in a tank of the same size. If you don't like the idea of C02 in your tires, don't blame you. Air up with C02 to get you home then empty and refill with your home compressor. :twocents:

Dyerjk

I used my old Scuba tanks for airing up before I had a compressor. I got 5 air ups out of one aluminum tank. Sport Chalet had a tire inflator for a few bucks. I kept my low pressure line and capped the others on the 1st stage. Keeping it secure in the back of my JKU was tricky, but doable.
So all said it's doable, but unless you have everything, maybe just buying a small compressor is more economical. If air tools are a concern than CO2 seems to be the general consensus.
Good luck.

noroad

CO2 is more permeable than standard air through most tire compounds and will leak out faster and is more sensitive to temp swings. Are you sure they were not talking about nitrogen?

you could be right, could be nitrogen I wasn't really paying attention.

Top Bottom