Jeep stuck in limp mode after installing rear detroit

jorgelrod

Hooked
I've learned the hard way that the 2012+ JKs don't like rear auto lockers, my question is, if I disable one of the wheel sensors in the back, will this stop it from going into limp mode, at least until I can come up with $$$ for changing the Detroit to something else???

jorgelrod

Hooked
Update:

Disconnected one of the rear wheel sensors, no more limp mode. No abs or cruise control, but it beats having to fork more $$$ right now

Last edited:

croge17

program your tire size, make sure your tires are inflated evenly and it will only go limp mode occasionally and normally in parking lots making slow tight turns.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Unfortunately, a Detroit on a 2012-up will not work.

^^^This, gonna have to run without ABS until I can buy a Selectable and switch it out...

Still sucks though, Detroits are excellent lockers and to have Jeep pretty much just let this happen is not cool. Jeeps are the most modified vehicles out there with the highest amount of aftermarket support, this and their shitty support for Uconnect makes the community feel unappreciated...

Last edited:

Strider

Bummed for ya. I was going to go with a Detroit locker but decided on Tru-Trac's and I'm glad I did now. With all the searching I did I never heard anyone say you couldn't run a Detroit in the rear in a 12 or newer. I was going to put a Tru-Trac in the rear and a Detroit up front but the shop wouldn't do it, so I settled on Tru-Tracs front and rear. Keep the post going, I'd like to know how it turns out. Good luck.

croge17

Unfortunately, a Detroit on a 2012-up will not work.

It does work. I drive mine daily with no lights and rarely get a limp mode with no lights where it decides that shifting is overrated. A quick cycle of the ignition and all is well. Is it for everyone? NO but if you know how a locker works and have driven with auto lockers in the past you can still run an auto locker with issues. The issue comes when you try to break a tire loose and traction control cant stop it it throws a wheel speed doesnt match trans output speed fault and causes limp mode.

jorgelrod

Hooked
It does work. I drive mine daily with no lights and rarely get a limp mode with no lights where it decides that shifting is overrated. A quick cycle of the ignition and all is well. Is it for everyone? NO but if you know how a locker works and have driven with auto lockers in the past you can still run an auto locker with issues. The issue comes when you try to break a tire loose and traction control cant stop it it throws a wheel speed doesnt match trans output speed fault and causes limp mode.

Strange, I have my gears and tires correctly set and you can turn the ignition on and put it in drive and it's fine, put it in drive and 5 or 10 feet later and it's already in limp mode, I turned ESC off at the switch and it seemed to work but after you hit 40 mph it automatically engages again and Limp mode comes back, I'm running with the rear right sensor disengaged and it's driving like a champ, I would love cruise control and abs back, but can live without them for now as the I'm not going to take the jeep back and pay to get the Open carrier in there and don't have the funds for a selectable one right now since I promised the wife we'd paint the house this Christmas.

thardy

Banned

Being that it does not retain all factory features and drivability, I would say it doesn't "work".

croge17

If your alignment is off or you have a bent link or anything to make the rear axle slightly askew so the locker engages when it shouldn't it will throw limp mode. I'm working on a way to desensitize the system so traction control still works but isn't as sensitive.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your alignment is off or you have a bent link or anything to make the rear axle slightly askew so the locker engages when it shouldn't it will throw limp mode. I'm working on a way to desensitize the system so traction control still works but isn't as sensitive.

The fact that you have to desensitize the system so you can drive it normally speaks volumes as to why a Detroit isn't a good locker for a jeep.

croge17

Except for it being a dead reliable locker that doesn't require wiring or air compressors or any outside input. It's not for everyone but it's been my locker of choice now for 15 years

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that it does not retain all factory features and drivability, I would say it doesn't "work".

I have to agree. Dynatrac was one of the first ones out there to try and run a Detroit on a 2012-up. After seeing all the problems it has, it became pretty clear to me personally that it DOESN'T work.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Except for it being a dead reliable locker that doesn't require wiring or air compressors or any outside input. It's not for everyone but it's been my locker of choice now for 15 years

Lol I will just sit over here with my Arb's and not worry at all about adjusting it or have it "turn on" randomly in a turn so I chirp my tires and potentially break something because of it.

croge17

I'm over a year into owning mine and have had 4 limp mode instances to date including the one driving out of my shop after installing and not programming the correct gear ratios. I don't know how bad some of the issues are but as long as the speed sensors at each wheel have the correct difference in voltage based on steering input and speed you shouldn't get a fault. That leads me to think the locker isn't so much the culprit as the supporting mods are. Interesting that some go limp mode just driving straight where others are first turn and others have very few issues.

noroad

I'm over a year into owning mine and have had 4 limp mode instances to date including the one driving out of my shop after installing and not programming the correct gear ratios. I don't know how bad some of the issues are but as long as the speed sensors at each wheel have the correct difference in voltage based on steering input and speed you shouldn't get a fault. That leads me to think the locker isn't so much the culprit as the supporting mods are. Interesting that some go limp mode just driving straight where others are first turn and others have very few issues.

Tires don't turn at the same speed during a turn. with a locker on pavement that is why it is slightly harder to turn because they are trying to spin at the same speed which will struggle then end up tripping the sensor.

It is my understanding that it will work with a manual transmission, but not an auto. Still, I'm not sure I would want to. I'm not really a fan of the auto lockers.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have to side with Eddie and the guys on this. I am completely aware that I am settling and trading off features on the Jeep, in My current position it's the only logical choice. I do believe however, that this should be made a sticky so others don't make the same mistake. I have already educated my local 4wd shop where I buy most of my stuff so they don't let other people make the same mistake

Top Bottom