Scotty's Castle Flood Damage

Moochie

Lots of rain fell in Death Valley recently causing extensive flooding. Many roads are still closed and damage is widespread throughout the park. This video shows a lot of the devastation that hit the historic Scotty's Castle. So sad to see!
https://vimeo.com/143646518

getoverit

Thanks for posting Moochie. Really sad to see the damage at Scotty's Castle... I hope they are able to get things back to normal soon. Any word on the damage of any of the off road trails? I'm sure there are some pretty washed out areas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's terrible what happened to Scotty's Castle. Haven't seen that much water in the valley floor since 2005. Simply nuts.

Moochie

Thanks for posting Moochie. Really sad to see the damage at Scotty's Castle... I hope they are able to get things back to normal soon. Any word on the damage of any of the off road trails? I'm sure there are some pretty washed out areas.

I haven't seen any info on the trails yet. Probably torn up also. 20 Million dollar estimate to get Scotty's Castle, and the road to it, back open again.

Moochie

Wow, that's terrible what happened to Scotty's Castle. Haven't seen that much water in the valley floor since 2005. Simply nuts.

The actual Castle itself didn't get hit to hard. A small leak in the roof. :) The pool is now filled up with dirt. The exterior buildings near the visitor center and parking lot received the most damage. At least 6 months (estimate), before it will be open again.

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks for sharing the vid Moochie. That was an insane amount of water. Amy thought it was crazy to see the bad water salt flats covered.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Unfortunate that with so many parts of California needing water this place gets more than it needs. :crazyeyes:

Tomb1957

I was out in DV last week for work. The north end was hit bad. I left Wednesday evening and the water run off was still amazing. I was also out working when the south end was flooded several years back, just like back then this is going to take a long time to complete repairs.

Top Bottom