Clear Fluid Leaking

jonnyb19

Today I tried to help a neighbor get his truck unstuck and after I was done it smelt like something was burning. He said it smelled like clutch fluid. So I took a look under the jeep and saw a clear liquid leaking. I tried to get the best pictures possible. It is on the driver side and its coming from something that looks like there should be a hose there, but nothing is hanging around under there.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446057124.163317.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446057035.986872.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446057060.698299.jpg

rinkishjk

That is the drain for your heater box in the dash. Mine a manual also it it runs right down onto the slave cylinder, then onto the ground. Dumb spot. Normal.

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like an evaporator drain hole to me. Were you running the AC? Turn on your AC and run it for awhile, you will notice a lot more water condensation dripping down, see if the source of the dripping is from that same hole.

Also, by trying to pull someone out, it is possible you can burn your clutch if you aren't careful causing a smell. It wouldn't be the fluid that creates the odor, but rather the clutch friction disc itself. Be careful doing that.

jonnyb19

I did have the heater on. Could it just be a coincidence that it is happening at the same time? How do I k ow if the clutch is toast? I drove it for about 10 min after and I had not lost any pressure on the pedal

WJCO

Meme King
I did have the heater on. Could it just be a coincidence that it is happening at the same time? How do I k ow if the clutch is toast? I drove it for about 10 min after and I had not lost any pressure on the pedal

Hopefully you aren't leaking coolant from the hole indicating a heater core issue, the fluid would smell like antifreeze.

As far as the clutch goes, the odor should go away. The clutch disc burning is a mechanical issue and won't change the feel of the pedal. You just want to be careful when pulling someone out with a manual that you don't let the clutch slip too much. Chances are, you didn't do any permanent damage, but don't get in the habit of letting your clutch slip too often.

jonnyb19

Ok, my concern was that there was a bit of smoke and it stunk, so I though maybe the fluid was clutch fluid, but that was the only thing leaking, so that's good. But Today is the first time I smelled it and it's also the first day I had the heat on. I'll drive it to work and check it in the morning before I head out. Hopefully it's nothing major, I just bought this thing 6 days ago.

jonnyb19

Also, how do I know if it's the heater core. If it was leaking coolant in there, wouldn't it be the same color If not at least have a slight tent in color that matches my coolant?

WJCO

Meme King
Also, how do I know if it's the heater core. If it was leaking coolant in there, wouldn't it be the same color If not at least have a slight tent in color that matches my coolant?

Yes it should be the same color as your coolant if the heater core is leaking. As far as the smell and smoke, that was probably your clutch when you pulled the other guy out. If you've only owned it 6 days, just keep an eye on it, especially the coolant level just to be safe.

jonnyb19

It's a used 13 with 9K miles, so it's not brand new, but still would suck to have to drop 3K+ in it when I haven't made the first payment yet. But I will def keep an eye out.

JakeJK

It's a used 13 with 9K miles, so it's not brand new, but still would suck to have to drop 3K+ in it when I haven't made the first payment yet. But I will def keep an eye out.

It should still be under warranty shouldn't it?

jonnyb19

Not sure, I'm the 4th owner. I did update jeep with my info today though. Problem would be finding a dealer in italy that can do warranty work

jonnyb19

Yep, that's why I have to ask tons of questions, sometimes real dumb ones too. I just don't know of a reliable place I can't take it. Gonna have to do most work myself. I don't know shit about cars, but can work through it if I know what to do.

Top Bottom