Insurance for Aftermarket Jeep Accessories/Parts

rcastell69

I have a Question I have Added a Lot of Accessories on my Jeep does Insurance Cover this with Receipts? My Worst thought is My Jeep getting stolen I will not be able to recover what I have put into it, I called my Insurance Provider they said only up to $5000.00 they cover anyone have any opinions or other Companies that offer Insurance for such Mods.

Robar

The Enforcer
I have a Question I have Added a Lot of Accessories on my Jeep does Insurance Cover this with Receipts? My Worst thought is My Jeep getting stolen I will not be able to recover what I have put into it, I called my Insurance Provider they said only up to $5000.00 they cover anyone have any opinions or other Companies that offer Insurance for such Mods.
I think it's up to the insurance company. I'm with USAA and they told me to just keep my receipts. They will cover upgrades and I believe damage that may occur off road.

redman333

I think it's up to the insurance company. I'm with USAA and they told me to just keep my receipts. They will cover upgrades and I believe damage that may occur off road.

I have usaa also and they said the same thing and though I haven't had any issue with my jeep they did cover my mods on my 350z.

Dustless

most of the insurance companys that i have gone through with most of my cars and even with my Jeep have told me keep the Receipts as they would cover anything that was bolted to or becomes a part of the car.

Metalmasher

You can get coverage over and above what the actual vehicle is worth, I use State Farms as my personal and for my companies insurance policies, We have multiple policies Separating the trucks from the truck beds and they are insured separately ! Don't get me wrong, it is expensive because its like we are paying twice but depending in how much you are planing to spend I would say at the 15000.00 ( accessories ) it would be worth it.

Geico covers each individual Mod/accessory on my jeep based on it is worth higher value, ex: lift, tires, wheels, bumpers, etc... not covered is my winch, idk why, they just said no, and little things like grab handles and stuff like that

RubiconRon

Re: Insurance for Accessories

Farmers Insurance will do a stated amount for "optional equipment", if it's over $10K then they consider it a custom vehicle and it is then underwritten in a "customized" class.
Hope this helps.
www.diasinsurancegroup.com

Always looking for a trail!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Insurance for Accessories

This is really good info! Thank you for posting. I had prior knowledge of this already. My friend was in a wreck and had some moderate to bad damage to his JK. His insurace company took care of him as well. They even brought it up, they asked why put stock stuff back on, just get the damaged parts replaced with aftermarket stuff, its the perfect time. So he got a new AEV hood, Bushwacker flares and a new bumper.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

AdrockTT

Revisiting Insurance - Anyone have an "Agreed Value" or "Stated Value" plan?

Hey all,
I'm in the midst of a major build for my jeep (finally)! It's exciting and I've been dreaming of the big build for a long time. This is and will be a high dollar project...

The real buzz-kill so far has been with insurance coverage for the new project. I've searched this forum (and others) in hopes for solid answers. I did see 1 stolen total loss modded jeep recoup 70% of mods that he estimated at 30k (reassuring).

That said, does anyone have a stated value (lesser) or an agreed value (better, but often requires appraisal) policy for their rig? I have 1 company who will issue this, but it is with either 3k or 5k limits and requires appraisal to cover full value.

Does anyone have a true written rider with a standard insurance company that agrees to cover full value for mods/optional equipment? (Most call this an Optional Parts and Equipment Rider or OPE rider)? Highest I've found was Allstate will give me 25k on top of Jeep value (that will not cover my project fully/sufficiently). State farm claims they "do not issue these" but I've heard some reference they secured one through their agent (I am with state farm - maybe I need an agent change)? Most companies are 5-10k over book value range...

All insight/recommendations appreciated - especially if you have a high dollar build and know it is fully covered, I'd really appreciate the insight!
-Adrock

WJCO

Meme King
Driving an older WJ, the new Dynatrac axle I put in is valued higher than the vehicle itself, so I had the same concern. I was more worried about an accident that would total out the vehicle and I'd be stuck with a nice axle that wasn't covered. I have Metlife. I called them before I installed it and they said it would be covered in full by adding it onto the policy. I just had to send them a copy of the receipt and they added it under some kind of miscellaneous category but ensured me it would be covered, hope that's the case. I talked to 2 different people there and got the same answer. So maybe give them a call to see. Side note, I've had several glass claims and one accident with Metlife and have found their claims service to be awesome as well.

GraniteCrystal

This was a good reminder to me to update my policy. Thanks.

I called Geico. Just gave them amounts for everything on the Jeep (parts+tax, no labor). She said they'll cover everything at the stated price so long as I have proof of purchase for all of it.

Only things not covered are tires and winch. Even covered my new gears I'm planning on.

Raised my 6 month premium by $21. Totally worth it.

xxJWPxx

I called Geico. Just gave them amounts for everything on the Jeep (parts+tax, no labor). She said they'll cover everything at the stated price so long as I have proof of purchase for all of it.

Only things not covered are tires and winch. Even covered my new gears I'm planning on.

I had a different experience with Geico. Through multiple conversations with them they told me that most of my modifications aren't covered and that they wouldn't cover them. They would cover my tires but not my gears, which is opposite of what they told you. I went through every item I've added to my Jeep and they would only agree to cover $5k in modifications (not even half of what I have added). What they agreed on were lift, tires, shocks, wheels and tinted windows. I have yet to find a carrier that would agree to adding all my upgrades to a policy.

I even called a few times to speak with different people and was told the same thing each time.

Sullivan

This has been an issue with me for a while now. I have a few businesses with some high dollar and custom equipment. Most insurance companies will say they can insurance it as long as you have all the receipts. But the issue is if they actually will. Unless it is specifically stated in detail that they will cover the exact parts, I would not trust it. If there is any wiggle room for an insurance company, they will use it. A lot of times it's not your insurance agents decision anyways.
I have a few semi trucks with high dollar custom bodies on them. I have an actual separate policy for those items that have everything listed out.
The only way to truly be covered when catastrophe happens, is to have the items all listed on a rider of the policy. Also, an appraisal on the jeep with listed items should be done as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AdrockTT

Driving an older WJ, the new Dynatrac axle I put in is valued higher than the vehicle itself, so I had the same concern. I was more worried about an accident that would total out the vehicle and I'd be stuck with a nice axle that wasn't covered. I have Metlife. I called them before I installed it and they said it would be covered in full by adding it onto the policy. I just had to send them a copy of the receipt and they added it under some kind of miscellaneous category but ensured me it would be covered, hope that's the case. I talked to 2 different people there and got the same answer. So maybe give them a call to see. Side note, I've had several glass claims and one accident with Metlife and have found their claims service to be awesome as well.

Appreciate the post and info. I would encourage you to get it in writing (even if it's just an email with your agent confirming that all parts you submit will be covered at full reimbursement price as long as you send in the receipt). Worst case scenario, if there was a total loss you could argue and the agent themselves have a policy to cover their own mess ups if underwriting balks at the coverage.

I will give you a cautionary tale as someone in a FB jeep group I read had a fire with a total loss recently. They received book value and nearly no aftermarket mod reimbursement (State farm coverage). Book value was lowballed and that alone took another agent/fellow jeeper pulling comps to argue the higher value. They made out very poorly and lost thousands on the mods. I believe their Warn winch was paid out at $100. Rigid lights at $50-100 bucks, etc.

AdrockTT

Raised my 6 month premium by $21. Totally worth it.

I will def get in contact w Geico and get a quote then! Did they specify a max limit on added parts? If you have a sec, maybe call your agent and just inquire for me if you brought them 50-80k in receipts and made a "show car" out of it, can you just send along receipts for coverage?

AdrockTT

I had a different experience with Geico. Through multiple conversations with them they told me that most of my modifications aren't covered and that they wouldn't cover them. They would cover my tires but not my gears, which is opposite of what they told you. I went through every item I've added to my Jeep and they would only agree to cover $5k in modifications (not even half of what I have added). What they agreed on were lift, tires, shocks, wheels and tinted windows. I have yet to find a carrier that would agree to adding all my upgrades to a policy.

I even called a few times to speak with different people and was told the same thing each time.

The real risk is that the agent has nothing to do with underwriting. Unless it's coming to you specified in writing, you're trusting the coverage on verbal chit chat or hopefully a well worded email.

Through a specialty insurer who does classic cars, hot rods, one off builds (like a giant BBQ smoker with 6 figures), etc. I have an offer for real value coverage. For reference, I think it's $85-90k for 1680/year, but the 5k/mile a year limit is a killer!

AdrockTT

This has been an issue with me for a while now. I have a few businesses with some high dollar and custom equipment. Most insurance companies will say they can insurance it as long as you have all the receipts. But the issue is if they actually will. Unless it is specifically stated in detail that they will cover the exact parts, I would not trust it. If there is any wiggle room for an insurance company, they will use it. A lot of times it's not your insurance agents decision anyways.
I have a few semi trucks with high dollar custom bodies on them. I have an actual separate policy for those items that have everything listed out.
The only way to truly be covered when catastrophe happens, is to have the items all listed on a rider of the policy. Also, an appraisal on the jeep with listed items should be done as well.

Do you have any recommended companies for that type of policy? Most I've tried won't cover a late model Wrangler :(

...Aside from a CHUBB policy - they're nuts expensive but they will cover the wranglers. I actually heard of them by calling Starwood motors (who makes those terrible DUB edition looking pimped wranglers and a rare occasional badass build w a hemi). I asked how customers buying 70-130k wranglers are getting coverage beyond KBB values here - their main sales guy said "hmm, I don't know, you're the first to ever ask that... :naw::crazyeyes: " After investigation, a CHUB policy will cover any agreed value. 90k was nearly 4k a year (LOL NO).

Sullivan

Hagerty Insurance comes to mind. They insure specialty vehicles and race vehicles.
Basically you need to think of your jeep like a restored muscle car.
A 1968 Camaro is worth probably $2,500. But a fully restored one can be worth $100,000+. You need to have it specifically described in a separate rider.

Top Bottom