Scissor & Bottle Jacks

BillTheCat

Hey veteran Jeepers ... is there any reason to carry the factory scissor jack if I have a bottle jack in my recovery equipment?

Thanks.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I tacoed my factory scissor jack in my old '08JKU. Maybe the weight of a heavy 37" spare, armor, LoD steel bumpers, etc was too much for it? I don't know. But it twisted while trying to jack up my Jeep with the jack sitting on an AEV jack base. Can't go wrong with the bottle jack.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I prefer the bottle jack and carry a short piece of 2x6 for a base. It's way faster than the scissor and can handle more weight. Full disclosure: The scissor is still onboard just in case.

jesse3638

Hooked
I carry a Pittsburg 12 ton. I chose that one because of the maximum height. Every inch counts IMO...;). I've used it in my driveway and it seems to do the job quite well.

Suprchrgd_rubi

I picked up the 20ton thought that should just be enough it also extends taller than the 12 that's made my decision and has a bigger base

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey veteran Jeepers ... is there any reason to carry the factory scissor jack if I have a bottle jack in my recovery equipment?

Thanks.

Nope, no reason to carry both. I just carry a bottle jack and use the freed up space in the trunk cubby to carry other stuff like jumper cables.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I know the original question is about preference of a scissor or bottle Jack as apart of your recovery gear. And I'm just curious is there any reason not to carry a hilift for various recovery needs.

Right, I was just wondering what recovery need you might be referring to.

CrazyDuck

Right, I was just wondering what recovery need you might be referring to.

Possible tire changes on the trail. If your winch goes down it can be used for recovery. Just wanting to get you opinions since it wasn't mentioned as an option. Figured maybe there was a reason y'all didn't use them.

Byte

Grew up pulling barbed wire with a hi-lift. I'd only use one to lift a vehicle if it was the only option avail and in a level parking lot. :cheesy:

I prefer a BJ to gettin' high any day. :thinking:

For off highway recovery work I keep a few 4 ton come alongs in with the recovery gear. They aren't as versatile as a hi-lift but several order of magnitude safer & perfect for setting up shifting pulls or to steady loads.

Not trying to take anything away from the awesome of a double hi-lift setup though. Sicker lookin' than a snorkel any day. :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Possible tire changes on the trail. If your winch goes down it can be used for recovery. Just wanting to get you opinions since it wasn't mentioned as an option. Figured maybe there was a reason y'all didn't use them.

A Hi-Lift is probably one of the WORST tools to use to change a tire. Unless you strap up your axle, you have to lift your Jeep dangerously high just to get the tire off the ground and being that everything is held up by an unstable iron stick, the chances of someone getting really hurt is very high. Also, if you're not careful, the jack handle itself can be an extremely dangerous piece of steel tube that can fly at a tremendous speed if it were to slip out of your hands. I have seen guys get seriously hurt from this. When it comes to changing tires, a good bottle jack is a far superior and safer tool to use. As far as using it as a come-along, that is one of the few really useful ways that it can be used but, a good winch will do the same job better and safer. There are instances where a Hi-Lift is a good recovery tool to have but more times than not, I they are just used to make your Jeep look cool or are incorrectly used to change a tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Grew up pulling barbed wire with a hi-lift. I'd only use one to lift a vehicle if it was the only option avail and in a level parking lot. :cheesy:

I prefer a BJ to gettin' high any day. :thinking:

For off highway recovery work I keep a few 4 ton come alongs in with the recovery gear. They aren't as versatile as a hi-lift but several order of magnitude safer & perfect for setting up shifting pulls or to steady loads.

Not trying to take anything away from the awesome of a double hi-lift setup though. Sicker lookin' than a snorkel any day. :rock:

:cheesy: Now that's funny.

I still use one of the 2 Hi-Lifts that I still have to break beads on my tires when changing them out :yup:

Top Bottom