Hola from New Mexico

JoeB-JKURX

As I'd mentioned to Wayalife when he welcomed me, I've been a lurker for a while. I'll probably join some of the threads but will continue to read with interest many of your experiences and exploits.

Returned to Jeep after a long absence (had a J-10 Gladiator in the 80's and loved it). Had other 4WD (Trooper and 4Runner) vehicles that I flogged - and had a VW thing in the 70's that I treated like a Jeep. After raising a family, I felt I deserved a Jeep. Got a Limited Edition 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon X (like the '13 10A and '15 Hard Rock). Found out pretty quick that it wasn't optimized for even moderate trails (did a lot of dragging between the axles). After about 12K miles, I got a 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger Lite (ARB edition), Overline Fenders, Level 8 Pro (4.5" Backspace) 17" Wheels, and 35" BFG KM2 tires. Smashed a couple of steering stabilizers and got worried about front axle and front LCA brackets. Had Artec gussets and LCA skids welded in, replaced front OE ball joints with Dynatrac Prosteers, and did a relocate of the steering stabilizer to above the drag link/tie rod.

Enjoy hard (short of extreme) rock crawling with more knowledgeable Jeep guys from two clubs I've joined. Am worried about drive shafts, axle shafts, and tie rod/drag link. Will probably go the Tom Wood/RCV route soon and eventually go with the Metalcloak tie rod and drag link.

Do most of my wheeling in New Mexico and Colorado (mostly around Buena Vista and Telluride/Ouray). Will head to Moab this coming spring, want to do Johnson Valley and area around Needles when the weather is bearable, and will do the Rubicon at some point.

I'm looking forward to participating in the Wayalife forum and look for opportunities to join some of your trail rides.

Regards,

Top Bottom