LoJack/GPS tracking devices

Ddays

Hooked
In light of yesterdays theft of the EVO vehicles and trailer I have started looking at some of the anti-theft/tracking devices on the market. With how much time & money we have invested in our rigs, I for one would like to make it difficult as hell for some good-for-nothing SOB to drive off in my Jeep never to be seen again. Lo-Jack isn't available in my area. Anyone use any of these services and/or have any suggestions?

JK LYF

In light of yesterdays theft of the EVO vehicles and trailer I have started looking at some of the anti-theft/tracking devices on the market. With how much time & money we have invested in our rigs, I for one would like to make it difficult as hell for some good-for-nothing SOB to drive off in my Jeep never to be seen again. Lo-Jack isn't available in my area. Anyone use any of these services and/or have any suggestions?

Good topic. Subscribed. I'd like to know what's available as well.

Angry Aussie

Did I miss something? What happened to the Evo rigs? Subscribed as well. Curious to hear what some people may be using.

Ddays

Hooked
I think I'm going to call my auto insurance agent as well as the state & local police to see what they think. Would hope the police would be able to advise on what they have found works best over the years?

BCjku

After a number of vehicles were stolen in my neighborhood, I had a viper system installed. It has a motion sensor system which works pretty well with the doors off. It has a tracking chip. And if the alarm is triggered it sends a text to your phone. You can track it anywhere from your phone as well.. Fwiw..

Clem319

LoJack is mediocre at best. It is medieval technology with minimal range. Plus the law enforcement vehicles have to be equipped with LoJack tracking capabilities to locate your vehicle.

I would recommend some sort of tracking device hidden on your vehicle. I have a gps tracker on my jeep that will pinpoint it's exact location if it's parked or moving. I do pay a yearly fee, but I'm ok with that.

There are a lot of alarm systems with good tracking also. But I have seen the installers in my town so I passed on that.

Warebear

My dealership installed the LoJack on mine when I bought it. I don't even know where it is in the jeep but I carry the other half on my key chain. Rather be safe than sorry so I bought it. They say they can recover your car I'm an hour if it is stolen.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I think I'm going to call my auto insurance agent as well as the state & local police to see what they think. Would hope the police would be able to advise on what they have found works best over the years?

Unfortunately local law enforcement has no capability of monitoring private citizens GPS. Even big companies like on-star. It is up to the security companies and private citizens to notify and update local law enforcement of the vehicles location. Basically u would give a continuous update to the dispatcher where your vehicle gps is pinging, then they would relay the information to the patrol officers. Unless u give the police agency access to your account during the event of your vehicle being stolen. Bigger companies like on-star would just notify the law enforcement agencies their self after the vehicle has been stolen. As far as after market gps trackers go, find one that updates the location more frequently or updates in real time.

TLC Offroad

I run GPS tracking in My trucks right now so I know where My guys are and where they are suppose to Be. I can zoom in on where is it parked and a ton of other things. it is the best thing I have ever installed on the trucks. It can be hard wired or plug in to the ORB.

WJCO

Meme King
I run GPS tracking in My trucks right now so I know where My guys are and where they are suppose to Be. I can zoom in on where is it parked and a ton of other things. it is the best thing I have ever installed on the trucks. It can be hard wired or plug in to the ORB.

What brand? What system?

Ddays

Hooked
What brand? What system?

Ditto this.

Also the Spot tracker looks like a pretty good deal. $100/year for the subscription service and rebate on the device.
They also have the Spot3 device that is capable of sending SOS messages. You could stash it in your vehicle
& use as an anti-theft device and also take it out for skiing/hiking/boating trips.

TLC Offroad

There are a ton of Fleet Tracking companies out there. Mine updates every 2 mins. Virtual Fleet Supervisor is what I use it is about $20 a month for the first truck then I think it drops a buck or two after that per truck. It monitors everything. I use it for their time cards too it shows me when they start up and when they shut down. Great System it has a ton of features to it and I can track them from My IPhone too with the app they have.

Brent McCartney

I used to work at a Chevy dealership, when on star first came out, we had two Tahoe taken off the lot in between inventories, so gone at least a month. I suggested using on star to locate them and they were recovered within an hour. I believe you can get a version of on star for any vehicle installed now. But it worked.

DMF

I like my Viper Smart Start. At least I can follow it real time while it gets stolen or until they locate the GPS unit and disconnect it.
The smart fence works great. All alerts comes to my cell phone within a minute. And you can track it anywhere you have internet on your phone.
20151112_163550000_iOS.png 20151112_163612000_iOS.png

Top Bottom