Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Lake Trail Snow Run

Hunter Lake Trail Snow Run

With all the snow that we just got up in the Reno/Carson City area, Cindy and I were just itchin to get out and play in it. So, after taking care of some work, we packed up Rubicat and made our way over to a trail that starts on the west end of Reno and climbs up the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Known to the locals as the Hunter Lake, it isn't the hardest trail around but it does afford you some amazing views of the "Biggest Little City in the World" and when you add in some wet heavy Sierra snow to the mix, it can be a bit of a challenge. Being that we got a late start and running the trail solo, we decided to turn around about half way to the lake after the shelf road leading there became blocked with fallen trees and snow drifts. Anyway, here are some photos from our impromptu snow run, I hope you enjoy.

Near the beginning of the trailhead all ready to have some fun.

Making a stop at the first hill to pose for a shot.

Working our way further up the mountain on a path that others had been on earlier in the day.

Starting our climb up virgin snow.

The trail starting to narrow a bit here but at least there are more exposed rocks to grab onto.

Pulling up on top of a hill that offers one of the best unobstructed views across Truckee Meadows.

About a mile up from this point, the shelf road became very narrow due to snow drifts and a couple of fallen trees and while we might have been able to move things and work our way across it, we decided to play it safe and call it a day. Here's a shot of our drive back down the mountain.

I know it isn't much but I hope you enjoyed the few photos that I posted up from our snow run on the Hunter Lake Trail. We'll definitely have to do this one again only next time, with an earlier start and maybe with friend

Awesome pics Eddie and Cindy the best way to look at it is y'all had fun and that's what matters
    David (dcbjk)

Life is simple only thing that makes it complicated is human being (dcbjk)
    Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you gonna get (forest gump)
    There are no shortcuts to a place worth going
    LIFE IS SIMPLE, ITS JUST NOT EASY

WANTED LIST:
    -EVO Rockstar Skids
    -Cooper STT pros 33s or 35s
    -EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger
    -Too MUCH

Wow! Amazing shots! You can see forever from up there! Super jealous
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Looks like a fun day.
    2007 White JK Rubicon Unlimited

EVO Long Arm
    EVO Front Coilover System
    Rear EVO Lever System
    w/14" King Coilover Shocks
    Tires: 40x15.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT's,
    20" Spyderlock Beadlock Wheels
    PSC Ram Steering Assist
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 Front Axle w/Competition Shafts & CTM U-Joints
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 Rear Axle
    Atlas 4 Speed Transfer Case
    Rock Hard Roll Cage
    Warn Dual Force Winch
    EVO Front bumper 1/4lb w/ Stringer
    Lo D Rear Bumper
    My Pictures: http://trailbud.smugmug.com/

Love some snow! Can't wait to see how Elmo likes the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I know it isn't much but I hope you enjoyed the few photos that I posted up from our snow run on the Hunter Lake Trail. We'll definitely have to do this one again only next time, with an earlier start and maybe with friend
    Cool. Did you even hit the tree line?

Oh and I was free this afternoon.
    Last edited by MTG; 11-11-2015 at 04:44 AM.

That is a pretty fun trail. I have done it twice and both turned into quite the adventures. First time was with reno 4x4 and a bunch of stock rigs that all got stuck after hitting snow, then after I bought my jeep we tried to make a "quick" run through to try the new jeep out. Long story short it was a 9 hour trip, dieing cell phones, no food, and running on fumes we made it out. What a difference 1 wrong turn makes haha. I did get an excuse to get 35s at least since a tire was slashed. What a learning experience

Nice pics.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

I grew up on that trail. It's not difficult, but there are definitely a few spots that can be "interesting" in inclement weather.

The view of the valley is beautiful, even better a night.

Hunter Lake Trail Snow Run

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    Cool. Did you even hit the tree line?

Oh and I was free this afternoon.
    Judging by the pics they were through the first group of trees and headed up the long climbing sweeping right turn (after the washouts) towards the next tree line. Definitely looks like they were below the aspen grove though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast