Hunter Lake Trail Snow Run

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With all the snow that we just got up in the Reno/Carson City area, Cindy and I were just itchin to get out and play in it. So, after taking care of some work, we packed up Rubicat and made our way over to a trail that starts on the west end of Reno and climbs up the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Known to the locals as the Hunter Lake, it isn't the hardest trail around but it does afford you some amazing views of the "Biggest Little City in the World" and when you add in some wet heavy Sierra snow to the mix, it can be a bit of a challenge. Being that we got a late start and running the trail solo, we decided to turn around about half way to the lake after the shelf road leading there became blocked with fallen trees and snow drifts. Anyway, here are some photos from our impromptu snow run, I hope you enjoy.

Near the beginning of the trailhead all ready to have some fun.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Making a stop at the first hill to pose for a shot.
main.php

main.php

Working our way further up the mountain on a path that others had been on earlier in the day.
main.php

Starting our climb up virgin snow.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The trail starting to narrow a bit here but at least there are more exposed rocks to grab onto.
main.php

Pulling up on top of a hill that offers one of the best unobstructed views across Truckee Meadows.
main.php

main.php

main.php

About a mile up from this point, the shelf road became very narrow due to snow drifts and a couple of fallen trees and while we might have been able to move things and work our way across it, we decided to play it safe and call it a day. Here's a shot of our drive back down the mountain.
main.php

I know it isn't much but I hope you enjoyed the few photos that I posted up from our snow run on the Hunter Lake Trail. We'll definitely have to do this one again only next time, with an earlier start and maybe with friend :cool:

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Awesome pics Eddie and Cindy the best way to look at it is y'all had fun and that's what matters [emoji3]

MTG

Caught the Bug
I know it isn't much but I hope you enjoyed the few photos that I posted up from our snow run on the Hunter Lake Trail. We'll definitely have to do this one again only next time, with an earlier start and maybe with friend :cool:

Cool. Did you even hit the tree line?

Oh and I was free this afternoon. :grayno:

Last edited:

Robs_Red_JK

That is a pretty fun trail. I have done it twice and both turned into quite the adventures. First time was with reno 4x4 and a bunch of stock rigs that all got stuck after hitting snow, then after I bought my jeep we tried to make a "quick" run through to try the new jeep out. Long story short it was a 9 hour trip, dieing cell phones, no food, and running on fumes we made it out. What a difference 1 wrong turn makes haha. I did get an excuse to get 35s at least since a tire was slashed. What a learning experience

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I grew up on that trail. It's not difficult, but there are definitely a few spots that can be "interesting" in inclement weather.

The view of the valley is beautiful, even better a night.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Cool. Did you even hit the tree line?

Oh and I was free this afternoon. :grayno:

Judging by the pics they were through the first group of trees and headed up the long climbing sweeping right turn (after the washouts) towards the next tree line. Definitely looks like they were below the aspen grove though.

mikefishes

With all the snow that we just got up in the Reno/Carson City area, Cindy and I were just itchin to get out and play in it. So, after taking care of some work, we packed up Rubicat and made our way over to a trail that starts on the west end of Reno and climbs up the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Known to the locals as the Hunter Lake, it isn't the hardest trail around but it does afford you some amazing views of the "Biggest Little City in the World" and when you add in some wet heavy Sierra snow to the mix, it can be a bit of a challenge. Being that we got a late start and running the trail solo, we decided to turn around about half way to the lake after the shelf road leading there became blocked with fallen trees and snow drifts. Anyway, here are some photos from our impromptu snow run, I hope you enjoy.

Near the beginning of the trailhead all ready to have some fun.
main.php

main.php

About a mile up from this point, the shelf road became very narrow due to snow drifts and a couple of fallen trees and while we might have been able to move things and work our way across it, we decided to play it safe and call it a day. Here's a shot of our drive back down the mountain.
main.php

I feel like we were there a few weeks too early. We had some of the cold but none of that beautiful snow. Gorgeous photos!

TLC Offroad

I've done a lot of wheeling up there and Fishing too, a few years ago I had a run in with a Bear on that trail up higher and she was way bigger in person them one might think around here.

Too bad the houses took over the lower part of that road.

Top Bottom