Pinch seam help

jkwebbie

Well I've looked around the form and haven't seen much on how to cut the pinch seam. So what have you guys used to cut the pinch seam, how much did you take off and do you guys have any pictures that could help me out. Like I know what to do, just want to see if you guys have some tricks and tips on how to do it so that I don't end up hacking up my Jeep and messing something up.

WJCO

Meme King
Well I've looked around the form and haven't seen much on how to cut the pinch seam. So what have you guys used to cut the pinch seam, how much did you take off and do you guys have any pictures that could help me out. Like I know what to do, just want to see if you guys have some tricks and tips on how to do it so that I don't end up hacking up my Jeep and messing something up.

There are a lot of vids on youtube. When I did my WJ, I used a Sawzall with a metal blade. Anywhere there was rivets, I cut between them, and pounded down the flaps rather than cut them off. I think on a JK, you have a lot less structural components to deal with being that you have a frame.

When I did mine I used a cutting wheel on the LH side. I ran out of time before the Windrock trip and so I drove it there half done. When I got to the hotel parking lot, the first thing I did was whip out the sawzall and cut off the RH side. By far the sawzall was easier and quicker. I picked a start at the base of the seam where it comes together and just followed what I thought the tire arc would be and zipped it off. I had already cut my rails prior so it was easy to do. I followed up the rough cut with a file smoothing. Probably not required but I didn't want to have sharp metal hanging around to gash myself on I next time I'm working around the area. Then I hit it with brake cleaner and a rag and put a coat of Rustoleum satin black on it.

This pic is prior to the cut but shows roughly the line I took. I don't know that I even needed to trim with just 35s but I eventually will run 37s so the work is done.

It should be noted that I smoked the insulation between the sheet metal with the cutting wheel. Freaked me out a bit. Thought I might start my rig ablaze but it didn't happen. Someone suggested using JB Weld to fill the gap but I didn't since the gap was already open to the elements prior to the cut anyway. But just something to think about. Might be an ok idea.

Hope this helped.

image.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
When I did mine I used a cutting wheel on the LH side. I ran out of time before the Windrock trip and so I drove it there half done. When I got to the hotel parking lot, the first thing I did was whip out the sawzall and cut off the RH side. By far the sawzall was easier and quicker. I picked a start at the base of the seam where it comes together and just followed what I thought the tire arc would be and zipped it off. I had already cut my rails prior so it was easy to do. I followed up the rough cut with a file smoothing. Probably not required but I didn't want to have sharp metal hanging around to gash myself on I next time I'm working around the area. Then I hit it with brake cleaner and a rag and put a coat of Rustoleum satin black on it.

This pic is prior to the cut but shows roughly the line I took. I don't know that I even needed to trim with just 35s but I eventually will run 37s so the work is done.

It should be noted that I smoked the insulation between the sheet metal with the cutting wheel. Freaked me out a bit. Thought I might start my rig ablaze but it didn't happen. Someone suggested using JB Weld to fill the gap but I didn't since the gap was already open to the elements prior to the cut anyway. But just something to think about. Might be an ok idea.

Hope this helped.

Mine was smoking too. I used FlexSeal in a can to fill it in and protect the exposed metal. I love that stuff.

T&ERun

LOSER
How much depends on how much you need for clearance obviously. I had to cut about a 1.5"x1.5" triangle off mine. I used a sawzall. After it was cut I used seam sealer (got it from a local autobody tool/paint shop) to seal the seam and then painted it. The seam sealer IMO is the best way to go to seal the seam back up.

Grubbicon

What ever you do dont use a plasma cutter to cut with. When my friend used a plasma cutter to comp cut his JK the material in the body went up in flames. Thankfully it was put out but still has a place where the paint is missing in the back.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I used a sawzall and cut off wheel on my 2 door, just took my time with each. Never sealed up the hole tho due to the foam that is already in there.

jkwebbie

Thanks guys! I'll be cutting mine off this weekend. I planned on doing it tomorrow, but the boss man has other ideas lol

jkwebbie

What ever you do dont use a plasma cutter to cut with. When my friend used a plasma cutter to comp cut his JK the material in the body went up in flames. Thankfully it was put out but still has a place where the paint is missing in the back.

Well I don't have a plasma cutter so I'll be fine, but I've heard you gotta be careful around the foam stuff in the body is really flammable

WJCO

Meme King
Well I don't have a plasma cutter so I'll be fine, but I've heard you gotta be careful around the foam stuff in the body is really flammable

It is. I had to do some spot welds and even 1/4" sections and the whole rocker area smoked for about 5 mins. Scary stuff.

Pyro1415

Plasma cutter just no lol... use a sawzaw lol, fill with jb weld, use common sense and have no worries.

Top Bottom