Jeep 'Wrangler U' All Terrain Tires Help

SloppyGuyy

Hey Guys, so Im planning on buying my first Jeep in a couple of weeks, but had a question on the tires to make it look awesome and badass, within a budget. Im planning on getting either a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara or Rubicon and was wondering what 35inch tires would be best if I were planning on giving the vehicle a 3.5-4 inch lift as well. Im planning on removing the stock wheels and tires and possibly selling those. The car is gonna be used for daily commute and for off-roading sometimes as well. Wanted to know whats the best all terrain tire brand/model/specs to look at for the best price. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Shantz

The Jeep that you will be using for your daily commute should only be lifted high enough to clear the size tire you want. I myself love Mickey Thompson... enjoy your new Jeep.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The Jeep that you will be using for your daily commute should only be lifted high enough to clear the size tire you want. I myself love Mickey Thompson... enjoy your new Jeep.
as good of info as that is it doesn't answer his question about what tire he should get

Hey Guys, so Im planning on buying my first Jeep in a couple of weeks, but had a question on the tires to make it look awesome and badass, within a budget. Im planning on getting either a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara or Rubicon and was wondering what 35inch tires would be best if I were planning on giving the vehicle a 3.5-4 inch lift as well. Im planning on removing the stock wheels and tires and possibly selling those. The car is gonna be used for daily commute and for off-roading sometimes as well. Wanted to know whats the best all terrain tire brand/model/specs to look at for the best price. Thanks in advance!

first off Welcome to Wayalife! stop by and give us a wave! http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

if you only plan on running 35's and don't think you would go any higher may I suggest getting a smaller lift like a 2.5" budget boost. this will be cheaper for you and allow you to fit some 35's easily.

as for tires a lot of people like the nitto trail grapplers and the toyo open county but they are an M/T. The goodyear duratrecs are also another popular tire for those that see some snow.

Shantz

as good of info as that is it doesn't answer his question about what tire he should get

I feel telling people what type of tire to get is like telling them what type of shoe to buy... tons of factors... millions of choices.

Where do you live, what kind of terrain, weather, and so on. For most people they buy for looks... then try to get the best fit for what they do to please both worlds.

Beauty and function are in the eye of the beholder.

SloppyGuyy

Hey guys thanx for responding really, helps a lot, as for Shantz questions: I live in Los Angeles, usually sunny and dry with a few wet months and snow in the winter (mainly around Big Bear, Mammoth, and Yosemite). I would use the Jeep as my primary car, for daily commute mainly, and as well as getting some off-road actions with friends and groups every now and then. I'm trying to do an all-Black Wrangler Unlimited, with a decent lift and cool masculine look :)

Speeddmn

Welcome to WAL!

Now on to making your jeep (not a car) more man like!

Step 1, buy it, drive it, wheel it! Get that sucker on a trail and enjoy it for what a jeep is for!
Step 2, buy lift/wheels/tires. These are all subjective as to what you plan to use it for. You're staying more toward the daily driver/mall crawler (not a derogatory term) and see the occasional trail, that's cool we wont bite your head off. (unless you install a unibrow grill....)

Now really if you want to run 35 inch tall tires you need to decide if you want an All Terrain (AT) or a Mud Terrain (MT). The AT will give over all better fuel economy, comfort, lower noise level, better wet weather traction etc. A MT tire will look more manly and preform better off the concrete jungle paths! The only tire in MY opinion that looks manly and gives you the AT benefits but off road performance is the Goodyear Duratrac. A friend of mine has these in 315/70/17 installed and they look good. If you buy them in 35x12.50/17 Size they will not measure out to a 35 inch tall tire when air'd up and installed.

Other tires to consider in both AT and MT patterns for popularity and overall performance are:

Nitto: Trail Grapplers (MT), Mud Grapplers (MT), Terra Grapplers G2 (AT)
Toyo: Open Country MT (MT), Open Country AT2 (AT)
Goodyear: Duratrac (AT), Wrangler MT with Kevlar (looks good, reports of weak sidewalls)
BFGoodrich: KM (MT), KO2 (AT); this brand seems to run the smallest vs other brands
Mickey Thompson: Baja ATZ P3 (AT), Deegan 38 (MT), Baja Claw (MT), Baja MTZ (MT)

They are all good tires and depending on your budget you can get a good set. Just match the wheel offset with the size of tire and lift. On stock suspension you can run a 33 inch tall tire with very little issues. If you choose to run a flat style fender (fender chop) you can run a 35 inch tall tire on stock suspension with little issues. Adding a 2 inch budget boost will greatly increase the Jeeps ability off road.

Just for reference, Wayalife (Eddie, the site owner) runs a fully built bad ass Jeep on 40 inch tires with around 3.5 inches of total lift. Hope this helps you decide on what you want to run and work with. As for the Saraha vs Rubicon, most will say Rubi simply because out of the box it will perform hands down better vs the rest.

hawklee

There are a lot of choices out there and I just went through the process, daily commuter, family ride, 4 seasons w/ rain/snow/ice and decided on an aggressive AT tire. Toyo's seem highly regarded for quality and tread life so I chose the Toyo Open Country AT2, and they look incredible and aggressive. the Plus, being on a budget i found them for $260 on treaddepot.com for 35x12.5x17.
-my second choice and also extremely popular were the Nitto Trail Grapplers

Also keep in mind that pics online don't do most tires justice, AT or MTs. (Toyo also makes an RT, which is between an AT and MT) so try to see them in person.
Anyways a buddy of mine had these so i get to see them in person and he had 40k miles and the tread still looked great.
Here's a couple of my recent pics
Good luck and keep us posted!

hawklee

There are a lot of choices out there and I just went through the process, daily commuter, family ride, 4 seasons w/ rain/snow/ice and decided on an aggressive AT tire. Toyo's seem highly regarded for quality and tread life so I chose the Toyo Open Country AT2, and they look incredible and aggressive. the Plus, being on a budget i found them for $260 on treaddepot.com for 35x12.5x17.
-my second choice and also extremely popular were the Nitto Trail Grapplers

Also keep in mind that pics online don't do most tires justice, AT or MTs. (Toyo also makes an RT, which is between an AT and MT) so try to see them in person.
Anyways a buddy of mine had these so i get to see them in person and he had 40k miles and the tread still looked great.
Here's a couple of my recent pics
Good luck and keep us posted!

forgot to add pics
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446496000.185143.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446482564.430432.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446162698.311891.jpg

xxJWPxx

Here is a pic of 35" BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain tires in action.

I've got no complaints on or off road with these tires. They do run smaller than most other 35's and with a mud terrain tire you're not going to get as many miles out of them compared to an all terrain tire.

Hollister 3.jpg

jedg

I feel telling people what type of tire to get is like telling them what type of shoe to buy... tons of factors... millions of choices.

Where do you live, what kind of terrain, weather, and so on. For most people they buy for looks... then try to get the best fit for what they do to please both worlds.

Beauty and function are in the eye of the beholder.

yeah... and the OP is better off getting an opinion from someone like coz than rolling into a tire shop where the salesman is going to feed him whatever shit will make the salesman and the shop more money.

What coz said makes sense. What you said doesn't say anything.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
first off Welcome to Wayalife! stop by and give us a wave! http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

if you only plan on running 35's and don't think you would go any higher may I suggest getting a smaller lift like a 2.5" budget boost. this will be cheaper for you and allow you to fit some 35's easily.

as for tires a lot of people like the nitto trail grapplers and the toyo open county but they are an M/T. The goodyear duratrecs are also another popular tire for those that see some snow.

x2 on this. A budget boost or even the Evo leveling kit would be a great budget choice and get you more than enough lift to clear 35s with flat fenders. I would stick with an agressive AT tire over a MT since its your daily driver. The duratrac is a great tire on and off road, its a shame it doesnt come in anything larger than a 35. Toyo RT and Nitto Exo grappler are also some other great new choices that look more agressive and would hold up better long term.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
x2 on this. A budget boost or even the Evo leveling kit would be a great budget choice and get you more than enough lift to clear 35s with flat fenders. I would stick with an agressive AT tire over a MT since its your daily driver. The duratrac is a great tire on and off road, its a shame it doesnt come in anything larger than a 35. Toyo RT and Nitto Exo grappler are also some other great new choices that look more agressive and would hold up better long term.

X3 on this. Im downgrading as we speak from a growing family. Im get a 4 door rubi and honestly let mee put it to you like this, take it or leave it. Im putting out the extra money for a rubi because it already has lockers, a d44 in the front, the rock trac transfer case, pretty good sliders, and sway bar disconnect. This is all factory and will be covered under your warranty. The other huge advantage to a rubi is the gearing. If you opt for 4.10s, when you up grade tires you most likely wont have to upgrade your gears. This is my plan and i will have a VERY capable rig for about 2500, most of this being tires.

Evo leveling kit - 234.99

Procal to fix your speedo (tire size and shift points if you have an auto trans) - 170.00

5 35" tires depending on what you choose.
(I used trail graps) 322 x 5 = 1610

You'll have to chop your fender flares to clear 35s - FREE

If you run the stock rims you'll need wheel spacers
80x2 = 160

OR you can get new rims.

So for mandatory things you'll need your at $2175.00. This doesn't include any discounts you get from anywhere or mounting and balancing and little things like that. You can get a bumper and what not but as far as im concerned that stuff can wait. Most of your expenses will be in the tires. Anyone let me know if i forgot anything!

Shantz

yeah... and the OP is better off getting an opinion from someone like coz than rolling into a tire shop where the salesman is going to feed him whatever shit will make the salesman and the shop more money.

What coz said makes sense. What you said doesn't say anything.
This made me chuckle...

Attachments

• 1447821407081.jpg
    1447821407081.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom