Need advice on Chamber Pro's and 40" trail grapplers

2011jk

I'm stuck, I'll preface this with I've used many different beadlocks and tires and never had this issue nor did I have this problem with these tires and Allied beadlocks.

The edge of the tire bead outer surface measures 18 5/8"
The outer edge of the ring is 18 15/16"

I've seen the U tubes of Wade mounting 37" terra grapplers but haven't seen anyone do it to 40"

Seems the 40" have a larger rim bead protector than the smaller versions. IMG_1999.jpg

The tire bead protector isn't going to stretch 3/16"
So there is no way for the ring to set down so that the bolts can even get started, using a longer bolt doesn't seem a good idea as the ring can't drop into the bead.

I know guys have done this I'm asking how did they do it....machine the outer diameter 3/16" smaller?

Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
it will slide down and mesh properly. just put some soapy water on it when you install the bolts. my 35's sat about the same way when I did mine.

2011jk

So you just used longer bolts and stretched the rubber?
Only tires I've had that had this thick rim protector

I'll give it a shot

Well don't have long enough Allen bots....

Look at this picture of the Allied ring it is 18.25" and sets down inside. IMG_1494.jpg

May need to look close to see it.

Only way this ring will set inside the bead protector is if its machined down to 18 1/4"

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So you just used longer bolts and stretched the rubber?

no I did not install longer bolts. I used the supplied bolts and it meshed perfectly. hinrich did the initial install for me but I took the rings off to paint them. when I reinstalled the rig sat on top of the tire like how yours is sitting. a little soapy water allowed for the ring to slide back down.

2011jk

It likely your 35" don't have the same bead protector as these do.

I have a call into ATX and just got off the phone with Nitto and the guy is checking with a engineer as he also feels its not going to work either.

I'll update when he gets back to me.

JokerJKU

It likely your 35" don't have the same bead protector as these do.

I have a call into ATX and just got off the phone with Nitto and the guy is checking with a engineer as he also feels its not going to work either.

I'll update when he gets back to me.

Ton's of guys have mounted the TG 40's to Slabs and Chamber Pro's. You're worrying about nothing. Bolt them up, torque in a circular motion a little at a time. 35's, 37's, 40's, they all have the same bead protector and they all bolt up fine.

2011jk

Ok, took your advice made some sleeves so I could use longer std bolts and get them started. Guess what working so far.:blush:

Thanks for the moral support and guidance.

thardy

Banned
Ok, took your advice made some sleeves so I could use longer std bolts and get them started. Guess what working so far.:blush:

Thanks for the moral support and guidance.

Are you just using the longer bolts to help get it started and then switching out to the supplied bolts?

2011jk

Yes I used 4 std bolts with some sleeves to compress the ring a little then started all the rest. Worked fine except because of the thick bead of these tires the ring tilts in 1/8"+. This side loads the Allen head which may cause the bolts t break. Same issue I had using Allied's. Hopefull with the 3/8" Allen's this won't happen.

Like the rims just wish they would have allowed for a larger hole where the valve stem is so I could use either a monster valve or a RAD valve. Or better yet just 1 valve stem and I'd drill for the air down valve.

I'm leery of machining a larger hole to fit any air down valve. Really don't want to drill a new hole elsewhere either. So will just use a Currie tool-guage to air down.

Top Bottom