What Programs Do You Use?

2JeepsThatRun

For all those guys that have designed a suspension or have gone through engineering school I have a question for you. I am trying to decide on a capstone project and when I saw the pictures of Vengeance I got an idea. What if I could build a similar rig but on a TJ platform. If I wanted to do this a a capstone I would need to be able to create some form of CAD file to be able to submit the idea and so I could have a well thought out plan before I started.

So guys what has been the best CAD system you have used for suspension designing? It can be for Mac or Windows since my Mac has bootcamp to run basically any program and I get student pricing so the cost of the program is fine as well (Its its not free).
Also sorry if you feel like Im stealing any ideas from the EVO guys I just figured if I didn't have the money for Vengeance why not build my own and get a degree with it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Let me first say I'm not a suspension designer or an engineering student but I have used 3D cad for a while. My favorite system is the SolidWorks 3D CAD. If you know the specs of what you want to build then you can draw it in SolidWorks and do a full virtual build in the program and know if you have clearance issues or misaligned holes etc. before ever building the thing for real. It's a very complex program but is pretty intuitive when it comes to building parts. You build parts, then combine them into assemblies. You can build parts right in an assembly also. It's a pretty amazing program.

Check it out. You may be able to get a demo or student version pretty cheap. Otherwise it is really expensive. If you are going to engineering school I wouldn't be surprised if there is a copy on a computer on campus available for students to use.

http://www.solidworks.com/

Here is a ball reverser I drew for a cable winch we have in our trucks. Two individual parts then the assembly.

BallReverser.jpg

ReverserScrew.jpg

ReverserAssembly.jpg

2JeepsThatRun

That's one of the programs I was the most interested in. Right now I have autodesk, but that's more of an architecture program in my opinion. Also I just looked it up and I can get 12 months free as a student and renew it as long as Im enrolled, so it looks like that's where Im going to start. Thanks got the input!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
That's one of the programs I was the most interested in. Right now I have autodesk, but that's more of an architecture program in my opinion. Also I just looked it up and I can get 12 months free as a student and renew it as long as Im enrolled, so it looks like that's where Im going to start. Thanks got the input!

Your welcome! It is a great program and really fun to use!

Top Bottom