Ignition upgrade 3.8l

rinkishjk

I ordered the screamin demon ignition coil and wires for my 3.8l today. Driving home this weekend I got a misfire on #4, and after limping it home I checked the wires and plug and there fine, so I going to upgrade. My question is has anyone run this before? Didn't cost Alot more than oem stuff which I was going to get, but from the old reviews I found it seemed like a good product...

jeeeep

Hooked
I ordered the screamin demon ignition coil and wires for my 3.8l today. Driving home this weekend I got a misfire on #4, and after limping it home I checked the wires and plug and there fine, so I going to upgrade. My question is has anyone run this before? Didn't cost Alot more than oem stuff which I was going to get, but from the old reviews I found it seemed like a good product...

the scream'n demon coil and wires was the 1st things I did when I bought my Jeep in 2010. use the plugs they recommend, be sure to gap them properly and use the dielectric grease per the instructions.

I like it, idle is great and if you have a tuner that allows you to change from stock to performance to run a higher octane it makes a difference.

I have the Superchips tuner, with my 315's I ran the performance tune but now with 37's I'm running the tow tune.

If you can get gas with no ethanol, you'll really notice the difference in how it drives.

there are several threads on here for running the plug wires.

last, don't grab a plug wire to test for spark while it's running, the mechanic where I had some work done did that and it knocked him back a few steps lol

rinkishjk

the scream'n demon coil and wires was the 1st things I did when I bought my Jeep in 2010. use the plugs they recommend, be sure to gap them properly and use the dielectric grease per the instructions.

I like it, idle is great and if you have a tuner that allows you to change from stock to performance to run a higher octane it makes a difference.

I have the Superchips tuner, with my 315's I ran the performance tune but now with 37's I'm running the tow tune.

If you can get gas with no ethanol, you'll really notice the difference in how it drives.

there are several threads on here for running the plug wires.

last, don't grab a plug wire to test for spark while it's running, the mechanic where I had some work done did that and it knocked him back a few steps lol

Thanks for the info. I did get new plugs and will run the gap they recommend. I do have a SC tuner. I'm not expecting this to make a huge difference, but I'm hoping for an overall improvement.

WJCO

Meme King

Please do grab the plug wire in this manor and make sure and film it and post it on the video thread. :)

Seriously, I would put that stuff on since you already purchased it and then see if your issue goes away. We can go from there.

rinkishjk

So all my parts came today. Here is the coil and the wires along with some dielectric grease that it comes with. So far I'm impressed with the quality of the stuff. The wires seem almost to nice for the jeep. the stock #4 wire and the new wires resistance was quite shocking. the new wires at 390 ohms will flow quite easily compared to the stocks 4.27K ohms!! can't install the stuff today, so I'm gonna gap the new double platinum plugs i got and install tomorrow and test drive it.

Attachments

• 1447966163898.jpg
    1447966163898.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 1447966310459.jpg
    1447966310459.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 1447966322430.jpg
    1447966322430.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 1447966335512.jpg
    1447966335512.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 1447966387602.jpg
    1447966387602.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 1447966413894.jpg
    1447966413894.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 1447966424311.jpg
    1447966424311.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

rinkishjk

Coil, wires and plugs all done. Jeep runs great! Only took a short ride, but so far so good. Going to take a long ride tomorrow and see if I feel any sort of difference.

Attachments

• 1448057026762.jpg
    1448057026762.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 1448057039635.jpg
    1448057039635.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 206

rinkishjk

Took about a 160 mile ride today, went down to Kane Brewing here in NJ, and the Jeeps acceleration, throttle response and overall driving feel are way more than I was expecting. I mean it's not gonna do Smokey burnouts, or chirp any gears shifting, but when I give it Gas in the 2300-3000+ range, it gets up and goes Alot more than before. I really think these parts are better than the stock ones. I have no mpg comparison as I drove the same as I normally do, but I definitely felt confident on the highway with my 37's, and 4.10's cruising.

jeeeep

Hooked
Took about a 160 mile ride today, went down to Kane Brewing here in NJ, and the Jeeps acceleration, throttle response and overall driving feel are way more than I was expecting. I mean it's not gonna do Smokey burnouts, or chirp any gears shifting, but when I give it Gas in the 2300-3000+ range, it gets up and goes Alot more than before. I really think these parts are better than the stock ones. I have no mpg comparison as I drove the same as I normally do, but I definitely felt confident on the highway with my 37's, and 4.10's cruising.

:thumb: I think you mentioned you have a superchips tuner? when you need to fuel up again, try the tow tune and 91 octane fuel, may take a couple of tanks but I think you'll like how it handles.

If you can find ethanol free gas, let your tank get as empty as it can and fill up with the non-ethanol. you'll really notice a difference and the mileage is better as well.

rinkishjk

:thumb: I think you mentioned you have a superchips tuner? when you need to fuel up again, try the tow tune and 91 octane fuel, may take a couple of tanks but I think you'll like how it handles.

If you can find ethanol free gas, let your tank get as empty as it can and fill up with the non-ethanol. you'll really notice a difference and the mileage is better as well.

Yes I do have a SC tuner. I was considering trying higher octane gas. I had a pinging issue, and that is all gone. I do believe I am getting better gas mileage, I used Alot less gas on my trip sat than I have in the past. I didn't calculate anything, just going off the Guage and memory.

j_colter

@rinkishjk Did the new plug wires fit in the plastic harness that goes around behind the engine to the passenger side?

j_colter

I've got 150K on my stock wires and am doing a bunch of work so was going to replace them. Anyone who has the livewires or RIPP plug wires have feedback on how they have stood up? I've seem some negative posts about the Livewires quality but most were pretty old threads. Was also thinking to get the Performance Distributors Screamin Deamon coil.

BaddestCross

I've got 150K on my stock wires and am doing a bunch of work so was going to replace them. Anyone who has the livewires or RIPP plug wires have feedback on how they have stood up? I've seem some negative posts about the Livewires quality but most were pretty old threads. Was also thinking to get the Performance Distributors Screamin Deamon coil.
I've been running the LiveWires and Screamin Demon coil for about a year (20-30k miles) and they've been great. Use OEM Champion plugs gapped to .60 (I think) per their instructions.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom