Jeep Life in Austin, TX / Hill Country

Killer-JK

Hey everyone, we're in Las Vegas now but we have seriously considered the Austin and Hill Country Area of Texas as a possible relocation spot for us...

We are of course concerned about wheelin as it's something that we love to do. We love getting out and doing the most technical crawling that we tend to find in our area, which is Valley of Fire / LoganDale (1hr), Sand Hollow (2hr), we've been to Big Bear and done all of the major trails and been all over Moab. So we are genuinely looking for 7/10 and greater level trails to stay entertained... These are all pretty much public land trail systems and they are great for wheeling!

With that said, we don't know much about the Jeep and Off Road community in the Austin and Hill Country Areas. We do know that there is Katemcy Rocks and Hidden Falls (private land parks) but we haven't been there and don't know much about who wheels there and what the off roading there is like compared to the rocks out here... Again though, since it is a big part of our life, next time we head out to visit, we're looking to see if we can get a better sense of whether a JKUR built up on 37's or 40's is going to really get to have fun out there, will there be similar people that wheel? Are their fun trails within our reach, what are the limitations of the private land use vs public land (if any), etc... maybe we can hookup with a few locals and rent a jeep or tag along to see what's out there.

Any input or references are appreciated. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I thought this may be a good spot for it but for the mods, please relocate if needed and my appologies if I put it in the wrong spot!

Best from Vegas!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9953 (Small).JPG
    IMG_9953 (Small).JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 75

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone, we're in Las Vegas now but we have seriously considered the Austin and Hill Country Area of Texas as a possible relocation spot for us...

We are of course concerned about wheelin as it's something that we love to do. We love getting out and doing the most technical crawling that we tend to find in our area, which is Valley of Fire / LoganDale (1hr), Sand Hollow (2hr), we've been to Big Bear and done all of the major trails and been all over Moab. So we are genuinely looking for 7/10 and greater level trails to stay entertained... These are all pretty much public land trail systems and they are great for wheeling!

With that said, we don't know much about the Jeep and Off Road community in the Austin and Hill Country Areas. We do know that there is Katemcy Rocks and Hidden Falls (private land parks) but we haven't been there and don't know much about who wheels there and what the off roading there is like compared to the rocks out here... Again though, since it is a big part of our life, next time we head out to visit, we're looking to see if we can get a better sense of whether a JKUR built up on 37's or 40's is going to really get to have fun out there, will there be similar people that wheel? Are their fun trails within our reach, what are the limitations of the private land use vs public land (if any), etc... maybe we can hookup with a few locals and rent a jeep or tag along to see what's out there.

Any input or references are appreciated. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I thought this may be a good spot for it but for the mods, please relocate if needed and my appologies if I put it in the wrong spot!

Best from Vegas!!!

Check out youtube videos by D Kriegs, most of the trails at hiddenfalls can be seen in just a few of her videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6hInOC1SojLR0dI3WRgQA

While the park is awesome, you can run nearly everything at the park in 2-3 trips if your rig is already built up (2.5" lift and 35s will do MOST of the park). As far as Katemcy Rocks, I've never been so I can not comment but from what I have heard and seen, its a lot more about obstacles then actual trails (I.E. each "trail" may only be a few hundred yards long.) As there is LITTLE to NO public land in Texas at all, a weekend of wheeling will cost you anywhere from $100+ depending on how many people are in your jeep just to get into the parks (and camp) While a membership is available for both parks, they come at a premium (OVER $300 each for 12 months) but it is nice to be able to go to hiddenfalls any day of the week, any time of day regardless of "park hours" as a member ;)

There is also Barnwell mountain over near Dallas area, this is more packed dirt and hills then actual rock, but can still offer some rather challenging trails from my understanding. I plan on making it out there soon, and will be able to give you a better run down at that time.

BVORR is open for specific club events (TX4WD usually), having never been, I can not comment. but imagine this along with EVERY other place in Texes will be hills and mud.

And of course Big Bend, but more like "unpaved roads" and less like "trails to wheel"

As far as "public" (Pay N Play) places, that is pretty much it unless you want mud. then you have places like Extreme and DSO (down south offroad).

:thinking: I think that's it... :grayno: unless you know someone who knows someone who owns some land and is willing to let you wheel on it...

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

I'm working with another place right now called Escondido Draw Recreation area that is trying to get more attention from the 4x4 community but it's about 4 hours from Austin. Just don't expect to find the same type of wheeling you're used to out there.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm working with another place right now called Escondido Draw Recreation area that is trying to get more attention from the 4x4 community but it's about 4 hours from Austin. Just don't expect to find the same type of wheeling you're used to out there.

I forgot about this place, and from Bubba's pics, it looks like it may have a LOT of potential (may eventually give hiddenfalls a run for their money) :thumb:

Flat Top

There is basically zero public land for wheeling in Texas(outside Big Bend way out west) :grayno:. That being said, unless your into mud (which it does not sound like you are) you are looking in the right area in Texas for crawling. Wiggles has it pretty summed up.

Rocks
Hidden Falls - Marble Falls
K2 - Madison
Canyons - Fredrickburg
Northwest OHV Park - Bridgeport

Dirt/Mud
Barnwell - Gilmer
BVORR - Bryan
TORR - Huntsville

Killer-JK

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. We did have a chance to check out D Kriegs videos of Hidden Falls, looks like a good club and group of people, and there is some fun there to be had at the park. We had seen the JKX Middle America trip that Eddie put together and the weather definitely made it harder to grasp it all but it does look like there is some better obstacles out at K2 as well. It's just hard because if we're willing to drive a bit we have a good bit to choose from here in Vegas. We can do several trails in our area within an hour, plus lots of public area dirt roads and many UT, AZ, CA crawling trails, all within 2-4 hours as well. So we are spoiled.

It seems that outside of these few areas like HF and K2, it's maybe a bit tougher to find trails and obstacles even if you're willing to drive a bit and so we're just trying to gather how quickly we're going to get used to the same limited trails and be jones'n to take a trip to Moab or elsewhere to get our fix. Maybe we'll try to pickup some land a bit further out to run as well if there are creeks / streams that can be made to wheel.

We'll have to look at Canyons and NWOHV as well, didn't have time to check into that.

As for mud, we just don't have any here... it doesn't rain in Vegas and when it does it floods since the dirt is hard like concrete, then it washes away in hours. I've done a bit of mud in California but not enough to really grasp how much fun it would be in TX. Rocks are definitely the big draw for us but there are some great dirt trails as well that can be a blast, so it doesn't all have to be rocks.

So one remaining question is outside of the Hill Country area in TX... how far do we have to go to get into the next legitimate rock crawling area that will have plenty of good trails? Hoping it's not all the way to Moab!

Or maybe we just need to sync up with the Wayalife trips and plan ahead to get in on those and travel if we move out that way.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

KrawlerJK

Check out youtube videos by D Kriegs, most of the trails at hiddenfalls can be seen in just a few of her videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6hInOC1SojLR0dI3WRgQA

While the park is awesome, you can run nearly everything at the park in 2-3 trips if your rig is already built up (2.5" lift and 35s will do MOST of the park). As far as Katemcy Rocks, I've never been so I can not comment but from what I have heard and seen, its a lot more about obstacles then actual trails (I.E. each "trail" may only be a few hundred yards long.) As there is LITTLE to NO public land in Texas at all, a weekend of wheeling will cost you anywhere from $100+ depending on how many people are in your jeep just to get into the parks (and camp) While a membership is available for both parks, they come at a premium (OVER $300 each for 12 months) but it is nice to be able to go to hiddenfalls any day of the week, any time of day regardless of "park hours" as a member ;)

There is also Barnwell mountain over near Dallas area, this is more packed dirt and hills then actual rock, but can still offer some rather challenging trails from my understanding. I plan on making it out there soon, and will be able to give you a better run down at that time.

BVORR is open for specific club events (TX4WD usually), having never been, I can not comment. but imagine this along with EVERY other place in Texes will be hills and mud.

And of course Big Bend, but more like "unpaved roads" and less like "trails to wheel"

As far as "public" (Pay N Play) places, that is pretty much it unless you want mud. then you have places like Extreme and DSO (down south offroad).

:thinking: I think that's it... :grayno: unless you know someone who knows someone who owns some land and is willing to let you wheel on it...

I spent 8 months in hill country and he is right about no public land. I was looking for places to go offroad and struck out. Maybe you can make friends with a land owner

jeeeep

Hooked

Best from Vegas!!!

all the 4x parks in Texas are pretty much private ranches with the majority of them being old drilling sites where they left the land torn up.

The mud here tends to be a clay/cement stuff and no fun to clean up.

Usually end up going to Colorado, Arkansas, Utah ....see a pattern? lol

You would get easily bored compared to what you're used to.

Lil Nasty

Usually end up going to Colorado, Arkansas, Utah ....see a pattern? lol

You would get easily bored compared to what you're used to.

Where are y'all going in Arkansas? I'm in south central Louisiana so every trail is a long haul for me. I did do some Offroad adventuring in north east Arkansas at the beginning of this year, but it wasn't anything planned or difficult. I'm looking to use the jeep for more than just mud. My build is slow so I'd like to use it for its intended purposes to direct some of my build.

jeeeep

Hooked
Where are y'all going in Arkansas? I'm in south central Louisiana so every trail is a long haul for me. I did do some Offroad adventuring in north east Arkansas at the beginning of this year, but it wasn't anything planned or difficult. I'm looking to use the jeep for more than just mud. My build is slow so I'd like to use it for its intended purposes to direct some of my build.

Hot Springs ORV Park, used to be superlift orv park.

Angry Aussie

If you enjoy wheeling in your jeep then I would relocate to Colorado not Texas. I was born and raised in Austin and I can tell you it's nothing that it used to be and honestly it sucks now! I hate it here and wanna move to Colorado. I'm more of a mountain and outdoors man and Texas just doesn't have the outdoor activities you get in a mountain area. No public land use in Texas at all. If I were you I would consider Colorado. It takes forever to get anywhere in Texas from Austin! Takes over ten hours to get out of Texas from Austin if your heading west. It's awful.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If you enjoy wheeling in your jeep then I would relocate to Colorado not Texas. I was born and raised in Austin and I can tell you it's nothing that it used to be and honestly it sucks now! I hate it here and wanna move to Colorado. I'm more of a mountain and outdoors man and Texas just doesn't have the outdoor activities you get in a mountain area. No public land use in Texas at all. If I were you I would consider Colorado. It takes forever to get anywhere in Texas from Austin! Takes over ten hours to get out of Texas from Austin if your heading west. It's awful.

This is exactly why I'm looking for employment in Colorado in the near future :thumb:

Killer-JK

We love the mountains and trees also... that's part of why we want to move from Vegas. but isn't Colorado really just high desert for the most part with Snow so much of the year? Every time I go there except maybe 3 months in summer (when it's gorgeous), it seems that it's brown and / or is covered in snow. Maybe there are better areas? So while we love to visit... we don't know about living there. People come to Vegas all the time from Colorado to escape the constant snow, ha ha, we get a steady stream of them moving here.

I did live in a great mountain area in California for many years... but well... it was California. We would love to find a place that isn't covered in snow all the time (a few months is fine) and has real beauty. It seemed like Austin may be a decent example of that but I have to say that we do keep hearing from people that it just isn't what it once was.

WJCO

Meme King
We love the mountains and trees also... that's part of why we want to move from Vegas. but isn't Colorado really just high desert for the most part with Snow so much of the year? Every time I go there except maybe 3 months in summer (when it's gorgeous), it seems that it's brown and / or is covered in snow. Maybe there are better areas? So while we love to visit... we don't know about living there. People come to Vegas all the time from Colorado to escape the constant snow, ha ha, we get a steady stream of them moving here.

I did live in a great mountain area in California for many years... but well... it was California. We would love to find a place that isn't covered in snow all the time (a few months is fine) and has real beauty. It seemed like Austin may be a decent example of that but I have to say that we do keep hearing from people that it just isn't what it once was.

About 3/4 of the state is Mountains, Trees, and snow-covered peaks. You probably didn't go far enough West. lol.

iRonin

Different strokes for different folks - I moved to Austin after being born and raised in Colorado 23 years and never looked back. 99% of my family is still in CO and it's a wonderful place to visit, but I never get the pangs to move back. The people here in the ATX are just wholeheartedly nicer and after years of shoveling snow and dealing with shitty streets, shitty constant construction, road ragers on the highway, and your vehicles being hazed with road grime and salts half the year, it's just not my favorite environment for every day living. Besides, I think I actually appreciate the mountains more now as a visitor than I ever did as a native :)

Top Bottom