Tracking Your Jeep Build (ANY MODEL)

TheFett

Ok........so for a while now I've been wondering how does everyone keep track of their build?

Do you use some software? Do you use the old paper and pen method? Do you just keep all the receipts and stuff them into some sort of folder and occasionally check back to see whats what? I like to keep better track of what I have done, what I am doing, what I am going to be doing, and even sometimes I like to see how much has been spent.

Is there something out there already that you might be using? What is it?

Where did you find or what did you find helped you best?

I have a rather large excel workbook that I have put together that tracks a multitude of things for me. I have a main screen that gives me a simple budget summary view, another sheet that I put in the date, part, piece, ordered from, etc.etc...... I have even taken it a step further and created a working schedule that you can utilize to track certain parts of your build. Like when I am planning to do something I place in the start date, tell it how long I plan to take, and update with % complete and it gives me anticipated end dates of the parent and child dependent items below or above!

Ok ok ok maybe I've gone a little too far, but my thought here is SOMEONE else is thinking the same things here!! I am happy to share, even if someone person could or would benefit. Happy to make this a shared piece of software (its an excel program) that we could use and build from and make something better for ALL to enjoy! I don't mind programming and somewhat like it. So I guess I'm saying all this to say, what do you guys think? Is there a need, is this something we would like see and or use?

*Disclaimer* I am running this on my Mac computer, using Microsoft Excel 2013. It should be compatible across the board Mac/PC. However I have not locked out cells and rows like I normally would, since this would be shared and that would give me gray hair! ALSO, I am NOT uploading a virus, this is virus free and if ADMIN is reading this, guys if this is just a BAD IDEA then I take no offense. I like using it and thought maybe someone could benefit too. You ADMINS tell me and not a problem it will not be sent and we can stop this post all together. ALSO not selling this, not marketing this, this is FREE for ALL who could benefit or would want it!

Check out the screen shots below for a rough idea of what I am talking about, let me know guys! This is still a work in progress, but you can see what I'm driving at. Also if anyone might have some ideas, throw them my way and maybe I can put them in here too. Thx

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 12.06.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 12.07.04 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 2.57.49 PM.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Too much for me. I can barely keep track of my shoes. But I definitely appreciate and admire the work you've put into your build data.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I thought about doing something like this, but would rather not know how much money I have spent but I have a good half ass idea.

kyle521

As a finance major I make a lot of excel models, This is pretty impressive, Im too lazy to do that much organization on whats on my jeep.

TheFett

A little too elaborate when it comes to building a Jeep but WOW! Not bad

Too much for me. I can barely keep track of my shoes. But I definitely appreciate and admire the work you've put into your build data.

Thanks to both you guys for the comments. Yeh, sometimes I go a little over the top! I can break this out too, so if anyone just wanted a small portion of it. Didn't mean to throw out so much at once. Takes some time but......ok never mind, yeh.......I'm a NERD!

My brother loves using this one, and YEH I guess it explains it!

fullretard.jpg

xxJWPxx

I've got mine in excel as well (not as detailed as yours). With a tab for whats been completed (cost, what it's for etc.) and another tab for what is in the future plan. My "Wanted" tab is unfortunately much larger than my "Completed" tab at this point. :bummed:

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks to both you guys for the comments. Yeh, sometimes I go a little over the top! I can break this out too, so if anyone just wanted a small portion of it. Didn't mean to throw out so much at once. Takes some time but......ok never mind, yeh.......I'm a NERD!

It's all good.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
So I was curious and made one of these to just show all of the parts and stuff......yeah wish I wouldnt have :grayno:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I am married to an accountant. I have no need to do this because my wife already has spreadsheets and excel forms for everything. I'd be willing to be she has accounted for every dime we have spent in the last 10 years lol!

GoldenJK

OMG what if the wife found out how much I've spent! Less records the better.... Also, It's a JEEP so "Just Empty Every Pocket" and keep the mods coming!

jeeeep

Hooked
I keep a simpler spreadsheet but mostly for insurance purposes,

it came in handy what I got hit and they requested a list of the parts damaged, when and where I bought them and the cost.

aside from that, I keep all the receipts and don't want to run the full total...I don't think I could handle the shock :cheesy:

JK LYF

That looks intense! Myself, I see something I like on someone's rig, find out how much it's gonna cost, throw money in a drawer until I have enough, then go buy it. Receipts go in a shoebox.

Evil

I do something similar with all my builds be it the Jeep, a AR or one of my cars. I even go as far as scanning the receipts and purchase orders and destroy the hard copies, back that up to an external hard drive and bury it in the back yard so I always have a record then name the file something the wife will not find on the computer!

Top Bottom