Mig for Tig

cmeflx

So here's my question to any fabricators. I'm thinking of selling my mig welder and switching to tig. Now ideally I would like to have both processes, but my budget is limiting me to just one. I've been watching Jody on his youtube channel and it seems like a huge number of projects can be accomplished with tig. I know more prep time is required and I will be laying down beads at a slower rate when compared to mig, but I feel like having the ability to weld several types of metal from thin to thick is worth it. I have a few projects in mind and being able to weld aluminum is my biggest motive with wanting to switch. Now I know aluminum is possible with mig, but the material has to be thick and it won’t have that aesthetically pleasing appearance the “stack of dimes” gives. Has anyone gone down this route?

USMC Wrangler

Lincoln 210MP is what he's talking about. It'll run mig and stick out of the box but a tig setup can be added as well as a spool gun.

USMC Wrangler

I have it but have only had the opportunity to run flux mig on 110 so far. It's been flawless at that for me. There's a welding forum thread I've seen talking about this machine in greater detail than I can. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Harley74

We used this to weld up many stainless steel pressure vessels were I use to work. Does the job very well using the tig. Has mig, tig and stick. Manly welding stainless steel and some aluminum but you have to change out the gas and tungsten for aluminum set up.

Attachments

• 1448058451935.jpg
    1448058451935.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 73

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have both and don't think I would want just one. There are many good tig machines that don't break the bank at all for a home shop. I have an Eastwood tig 200 which I got when it was on sale and it does more than I would need it to.

T&ERun

LOSER
well I got a spool gun for my MM 211, but it blows through anything 1/8 or smaller.

I have the 211 as well. Love it. Love the ability to use 110 or 220. I also have a Dynasty 200 (TIG). I agree with HINRICHS, many times I would hate to be without one or the other. I use them both equally. The better I get at TIG, the more I use it, but there are big jobs (were MIG is plenty strong) that I would hate to have to do with TIG due to the extra time. I bought my Dynasty 200 used for about 2000 with a torch and pedal. Visit your local dealers and see if they have some good used units and keep your MIG. As mentioned also, there are a few Multi-process machines out there. Jody is using the Lincoln one quite a bit lately and seems to love it.

T&ERun

LOSER
Forgot to say, I agree for aluminium you really want TIG. The spool gun is ok for thicker stuff but just TIG for the thinner.

Top Bottom