Axle suggestions

Sugarbear

Hi everyone it's been a while that I've been away I had to put the jeep building on hold for a while since I recently bought my first home.. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I wanna upgrade from my front D30 to a D44. I was wondering if there is an after market axle that comes all assembled with brakes and gears that I just have to bolt in? I have a 2014 2 door Jk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can order up a Dynatrac ProRock 44 complete and ready to bolt up to your Jeep. That is what I would recommend.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that if you can afford it, I would recommend that you get it with ProSteer ball joints, ProGrip brakes and chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips. I would NOT recommend running anything higher than a 5.13 gear.

rogerk93

I should note that if you can afford it, I would recommend that you get it with ProSteer ball joints, ProGrip brakes and chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips. I would NOT recommend running anything higher than a 5.13 gear.

Just curious what do you think about RCV axle shafts? Have any of you guys wheeled with it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious what do you think about RCV axle shafts? Have any of you guys wheeled with it?

Yes, I have run them in the past and while they are nice axles, I don't think they are worth the $400 premium. They will still break and when they do, it will be deep inside your axle. Over time, they will start clicking loudly but RCV will say that it's normal. I don't think that it is. They will still twist their splines and significantly so but again, RCV will say this is normal. For the significantly higher price and all the hype they have going about their warranty, you would think they would at least honor it rather than blow it off as being "normal".

That being said, the number one reason why front axle shafts break is because over time, the c-clips can work themselves free and that will allow your u-joint caps to fall out. With out them, there's nothing to prevent the trunions from tearing apart the ears of the yoke. A standard set of chromoly shafts with FULL CIRCLE CLIPS will prevent this from happening and they can be had for A LOT less. And, that's why they are what I would recommend.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
RCV would not warranty a broken cv cage on one of my D44 axles. So much for lifetime warranty. They were kind enough to offer a reduced cost replacement. That was my experience OP, so take it for what it's worth.

WJCO

Meme King
I was actually eyeing a set of RCVs in the next couple months. I'm not so sure I want to now. I'm at least glad to hear of some personal experiences with them. Tough thing is on my WJ, there are very limited options out there because although I have the D30 front axle, I have Varilok LSD carriers. So the axles are different lengths. The only other company that makes upgraded axles for this model is Ironrockoffroad. Ujoint style though, so I may be happier in the long run with those anyway. I just wrote Ten Factory to see if they have an option for my vehicle as well.

Grubbicon

I was actually eyeing a set of RCVs in the next couple months. I'm not so sure I want to now. I'm at least glad to hear of some personal experiences with them. Tough thing is on my WJ, there are very limited options out there because although I have the D30 front axle, I have Varilok LSD carriers. So the axles are different lengths. The only other company that makes upgraded axles for this model is Ironrockoffroad. Ujoint style though, so I may be happier in the long run with those anyway. I just wrote Ten Factory to see if they have an option for my vehicle as well.

On a D30 I think I would go a different route then a RCV. I have no experience personally with them other then seeing them in rigs but if they are much stronger then others like they claim that little r&p on the 30 wont take it. Me personally id rather break a shaft then a r&p but thats just me. But then again anything can break in the right spot so maybe my idea isnt right.

rogerk93

Yes, I have run them in the past and while they are nice axles, I don't think they are worth the $400 premium. They will still break and when they do, it will be deep inside your axle. Over time, they will start clicking loudly but RCV will say that it's normal. I don't think that it is. They will still twist their splines and significantly so but again, RCV will say this is normal. For the significantly higher price and all the hype they have going about their warranty, you would think they would at least honor it rather than blow it off as being "normal".

That being said, the number one reason why front axle shafts break is because over time, the c-clips can work themselves free and that will allow your u-joint caps to fall out. With out them, there's nothing to prevent the trunions from tearing apart the ears of the yoke. A standard set of chromoly shafts with FULL CIRCLE CLIPS will prevent this from happening and they can be had for A LOT less. And, that's why they are what I would recommend.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Thank you for the explanation.

Top Bottom