Reviving an old CJ7

2Cross

Caught the Bug
19 years ago in the spring of 1996 my brothers and I created a freak of nature.
We had an old, worn out CJ7 with a good body and a 76 ford Bronco with a a rusty body.

We took the body off of the bronco and scrapped it. Sold the CJ7 frame and engine. Welded new body mounts and created what we call the morphodite.

Upgrades along the way included a Dana 60 rear end and ARB lockers and fuel injection.

It has sat on my families ranch for about ten years and planning to revive it for my 2nd son to drive to school.

Any advice will be appreciated. Front end is loose and downright scary. Been sitting so long it is hard to start and leaking from most fluid containing places. . ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448233644.133679.jpg

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Pics of the front end.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448233771.479474.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448233795.289521.jpg

Planning to put in a new TR and DL to fix the slop.

Ball joints are shot. Do the dynatrac ball joints fit on an old D44?

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Fixed a bunch of leaks. Tcase front output. Transmission and leak from dipstick.
Still has some oil under it.
But runs as good as ever.
More to come

Ddays

Hooked
Shit, I missed this too. That's an awesome rig and your son is a lucky kid! This is really good stuff - good for you Dad!

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Shit, I missed this too. That's an awesome rig and your son is a lucky kid! This is really good stuff - good for you Dad!

We'll see how lucky if I can get it safely running by the time he gets his license.
[emoji106]

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Awesome rig! What engine? 351?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456588571.536407.jpg

Sounds like a race car. Headers straight to turbo muffler dual exhaust. Stinks a little since no catalytic converter. Problem is sometimes the EFI and computer are fickle. I've found a few grounds that were faulty and it has helped. Hasn't left me stranded in about 50 miles now.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456669863.304730.jpg

New gauges almost done. Everything works but the fuel gauge. Will have to figure that one out. Totally redone.

Here is how it used to look.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456669930.802852.jpg

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I found a place online called front panel express and I designed the gauge panel. Turned out perfect fit and looks great for about $140.
Gauges are new vintage 1940 series. I like the clean look. It was cheaper to go this route than go with original cj7 gauges.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Now that the rig is running smoother decided to start tackling the overheating problem. Running 230 after 20 minutes of driving. All trips so far have been less than that.
I installed an electric fan which didn't help. Today flushed the entire cooling system and now is not as hot and runs about 220-225.
Now plan to install new thermostat and water pump.

The only reason I agree to do this whole rig rebuild-reviving is because my son earned his Eagle Scout award and he is a great kid.

Albo

Now that the rig is running smoother decided to start tackling the overheating problem. Running 230 after 20 minutes of driving. All trips so far have been less than that.
I installed an electric fan which didn't help. Today flushed the entire cooling system and now is not as hot and runs about 220-225.
Now plan to install new thermostat and water pump.

The only reason I agree to do this whole rig rebuild-reviving is because my son earned his Eagle Scout award and he is a great kid.

Father of the year. Good job.

Top Bottom