Genetic Offroad Cars Web simulation

BACKBONE

If you're wondering the hell the title above means - I have no real idea of how to describe this, or which sub-forum I should post this in. But bear with me; I think the members here will enjoy this. So, this guy who is both a web development guru *and* a master yo-yo practitioner wrote a little web-based app which simulates, in a 2D space, an off-road vehicle with randomly-generated geometry traversing randomly-generated terrain. Actually it's a simulation of multiple randomly-generated off-road vehicles traversing the terrain. When a vehicle gets stuck, it dies. After each simulation, the vehicle that travels the furthest "breeds" with other vehicles, passing on aspects of its geometry to the next generation, and the test is run all over again. I'm not explaining this well, but anyway the whole thing, while it's not a completely accurate simulation of off-road travel, it is a great demonstration of the effects of ground clearance, wheelbase, approach/departure angles, tire diameter, roll center, speed, torque... You can ever change the effects of gravity on the vehicles.

Anyway just check this out, but be warned that it is kind of addictive and a sure-fire way to waste time.

http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/

James

Top Bottom