Brake Pedal Rattle

JeepFan

Hooked
2015 JK Brake pedal rattle

We took our new 2015 JKU Rubicon out for its first off road adventure and I noticed this loud rattle coming from the brake pedal.

It only happens while driving over rough terrain at any speed. At first I thought it was coming from the steering column but, I quickly realized the noise stopped when I had my foot on the brake pedal.The rattle also stops if I pull up on the brake pedal with my foot.

Soon, I plan to take a close look to see if there are any loose bolts or Iinkage in the brake pedal assembly.

I'll update this thread when I have more info but, in the meantime, has anyone run into this problem? If so, please post up your experience.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have not had this issue in my own jeep, or heard of it yet. Curious to see what you can find out tho.

jeeeep

Hooked
it's your abs kicking in, if you have the override switch you can disable it when off road.
i see you have a rubicon, use the switch to turn off the esp/abs, it'll activate automatically if you turn off the jeep so you'll need to turn it off each time you go wheeling

Last edited:

LAJK

I had the something similar happening on my 08' six speed. Turned out it was one of my hydraulic lines hitting the heat shield.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it's your abs kicking in, if you have the override switch you can disable it when off road.
i see you have a rubicon, use the switch to turn off the esp/abs, it'll activate automatically if you turn off the jeep so you'll need to turn it off each time you go wheeling

This isn't Tony's first rodeo and I can assure you that it's not his ABS kicking in. It seems to be localized to the pedal and without having given it a closer look, I would have to guess it's a bushing or something around that area that isn't quite on just right.

jeeeep

Hooked
This isn't Tony's first rodeo and I can assure you that it's not his ABS kicking in. It seems to be localized to the pedal and without having given it a closer look, I would have to guess it's a bushing or something around that area that isn't quite on just right.
yeah, i just read it again. 1st time I read it i was thinking the pedal shudder when driving fast on rough terrain. i used to get it on mine and more often with the 315's driving fast on rough terrain until i did the steering wheel dance to shut it off.

JeepFan

Hooked
Thanks Eddie and Jeeeep!

To be honest, when I first heard it I thought to myself, "oh, the abs just kicked in" because that's almost what it sounds like. Well, I'm certain that's not what's causing the noise.

Like Eddie mentioned, it's probably a bushing in the brake lever system.

I guarantee I will figure out what it us and report back. In the meantime, I have way more important things to do.

1448412050363.jpg

Stat tuned....

JAGS

Hooked
I've had this problem for quite some time. Since my lift for sure and even before that.

It's exactly as you described Tony. I even feel it on our "smooth" CA freeways from time to time. I never have noticed any ill effects to the braking itself, so figured it was just one of those things.

I've looked at the pedal area but never really saw/felt anything loose. Eddies suggestion seems logical. I just couldn't see anything askew. But then again, I'm not sure if I'd know from looking around anyways. Lol.

I'll be keeping an eye on any discoveries you might have. [emoji106]

JeepFan

Hooked
I finally had a chance to look into this issue. Unfortunately, this is going to be an issue for the dealer to fix.

I found a lot of play and slop in the brake pedal lever. Here's a short video that shows the play. You can hear the rattle sound as well.

https://youtu.be/AW32HdVNSfY

I compared the play with my 09 and there is a huge difference. The 09 has virtually no play whatsoever.

I guess I have to visit the dealer on this one. Looks like a huge job to fix.

Stay tuned...

WJCO

Meme King
I finally had a chance to look into this issue. Unfortunately, this is going to be an issue for the dealer to fix.

I found a lot of play and slop in the brake pedal lever. Here's a short video that shows the play. You can hear the rattle sound as well.

https://youtu.be/AW32HdVNSfY

I compared the play with my 09 and there is a huge difference. The 09 has virtually no play whatsoever.

I guess I have to visit the dealer on this one. Looks like a huge job to fix.

Stay tuned...

Yep. I worked on a 4runner once that had an issue like that. It was simply a bushing that was worn out, but bushing was un-obtainable. Had to get a pedal assy from the dealer. Good luck. Hope it works out.

JeepFan

Hooked
Yep. I worked on a 4runner once that had an issue like that. It was simply a bushing that was worn out, but bushing was un-obtainable. Had to get a pedal assy from the dealer. Good luck. Hope it works out.

I hear ya but, on a Jeep with less than 5000 miles, I think this is a quality control issue not a wear issue.

I sure hope the technician does not have to rip the whole dash apart to replace what looks like a defective bushing or brake pedal assembly.

With over 25 years of experience in the automotive industry, I can say with utmost certainty that most mechanics hate to work on these types of issues. My main concern is that it gets fixed right the first time.

I'll update this thread when I have more info.

WJCO

Meme King
I hear ya but, on a Jeep with less than 5000 miles, I think this is a quality control issue not a wear issue.

I sure hope the technician does not have to rip the whole dash apart to replace what looks like a defective bushing or brake pedal assembly.

With over 25 years of experience in the automotive industry, I can say with utmost certainty that most mechanics hate to work on these types of issues. My main concern is that it gets fixed right the first time.

I'll update this thread when I have more info.

I didn't realize the mileage was so low! Yeah, that's ridiculous. Hopefully your experience getting it fixed will be good.

JeepFan

Hooked
I didn't realize the mileage was so low! Yeah, that's ridiculous. Hopefully your experience getting it fixed will be good.

Thanks! Me too! I've had pretty good luck with my local dealer so I'll try to stay optimistic. I'll keep you posted.

lachoy731

Thanks! Me too! I've had pretty good luck with my local dealer so I'll try to stay optimistic. I'll keep you posted.

Definitely looking forward to hearing how this works out. Dealing with the same exact issue on my 15 JKU Willys and it's driving me bonkers. Been clanking for about 4k miles and i'm only at 6k. :grayno:

JAGS

Hooked
I'll be interested to see the outcome at the dealer. Bring that my jeep is now lifted, not sure the dealer would cover this. Also not sure if my extended would cover as well...and if worth the effort.

projectMMTB

I feel your pain
I've had this problem ever since I got the jeep and I took it in as it progressively got worse around 10k miles and got it back and it wasn't completely gone but what do you know few hundred miles later it's back to where it was
It drives me crazy
Your video doesn't even do the justice for me
Especially if I hit a decent hole in the road or when I'm on the rocks bouncing a little it's LOUD
I want to take it back to the dealer but I'm confident they'll just bull shit their way through it again and it'll repeat itself ...again

JeepFan

Hooked
Is there a doctor in the house?
1450826952274.jpg
Dropped off the Jeep this morning to have the rattling brake pedal diagnosed.

Top Bottom