Evo slider coating

Right Rudder

Just pulled the trigger on Evo Skins (powder coated) and Sliders (bare steel) from Trail Jeeps Black Monday/Cyber Friday/Weekend of all the sales.

Just as a general survey to the audience, has anyone had any heartburn with simply rattle-canning the sliders for easy touch-ups in the long term?

I'm just trying to figure out if a more durable coating is worth the $ for metal armor that's going to be abraded by rocks/other obstacles on a regular basis.

Rattle can makes more sense to me personally, just trying to sample the experiences of our veteran wheelers available here.

Edit: Also open to suggestions for spray paint brands that stand the test of time and trail for an outdoor stored vehicle.

Last edited:

Grubbicon

The first time around I had all my stuff powder coated (armor, bumpers, sliders). It all looked and still does look great, but Ive learned that it wasnt really worth it. IMO if your not going to beat on them all that much powder coat is great, but me personally wouldnt do it all again.

CJW

Rattle can is probably your best bet for sliders since they'll see scrapes and damage the most. I'd save the powder coat for parts that don't hit the rocks. (IMO)
I used the duplicator bed armor in a rattle can for my sliders. It touches up well since the texture surface blends into the new coats easily. Just make sure you primer the parts well first. The bed armor still allows some moisture in and rust will appear from the inside out.
I'd probably just use primer and flat black spray paint if I did it again though. Seems to be the easiest for maintenance of you're really using the sliders as actual sliders.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
My first set of sliders came coated, and it held up good for the most part, and I never really needed them on rocks so I never needed to touch them up other than when I traded it in. My current set I primed and painted with rustoleum bed liner and they are holding up great so far. A little rust here and there in spots I missed but easy to touch up.

jkodak

I bought the same sliders a month ago. Primed them and used rust oleum textured paint. They turned out awesome. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448934188.037133.jpg

Nosos

I have the same EVO sliders. I did them with Rust-oleum self etching primer and then bed liner, they turned out great. When they get scratched from rocks they are very easy to touch up.

BlackHawk08jk

If you are going to use your sliders then just buy a can of rustoleum high performance rattle can. It looks good holds up great and easy to touch up

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
No heartache here. I used Rustoleum self etching primer and Rustoleum satin black spray paint. Holds up great, looks great and extremely easy to touch up. I would do this a million times again over paying a bunch for powder coat. Just my opinion.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448973026.155810.jpg

It rains a bunch here and I develop more rust spots on the powder coated stuff than I do the stuff I spray painted.

Top Bottom