JK Rubicon with 3 1/2" Rubicon Express Lift - Question about Shocks i.e., wrong shock

TurboDave

JK Rubicon with 3 1/2" Rubicon Express Lift - Question about Shocks i.e., wrong shock

Bought a new Rubicon in mid 2012 and had a 3 1/2" Rubicon Express Super Flex lift installed, 35" tires, etc. Pro-Runner Monotube shocks were installed. This is my third Jeep and I spend about 4 - 6 weeks in late summer in the Colorado Rockies and Moab. I did not notice anything significant in the basic ride until earlier this year went to Sadona, AZ area and spent some time riding in some areas with much smaller rocks. Noticed right off that no matter how low the tire pressure, it rode like a buck board over rocks that were 3 - 4 ". Got to crawling around under the Jeep recently and thought the shocks did not look right. Bump stops seemed to be really close, and there was no sign of any activity on either the front or rear bump stops.

Finally dug out the invoice to see what shocks were installed, and it was ZX2062 and ZX2055. Upon further investigation, the specs for the shocks installed say "Raised ride height - 6", and Notes: "For use with Pro Comp 6" long arm system only." Seems that from further review, the correct fronts should be ZX2040 and ZX2041 - rear for 3 1/2" lift.

Has anyone ever had this experience? Travel is limited and even on road is harsh, but on small rocks, it is a lot worse than rock crawling in CO. Seems to me if a shock intended for a 6" lifted application was used in a 3 1/2" lifted application, the shock would be bottoming out and it would ride like a tank. if the applications were reversed, dampening would be limited, and ride quality would be equally bad.

Strangely enough, this is not the first time I have ended up with the wrong shocks for a lifted application. I guess most people don't cross check the items they are being provided to make sure you are getting what you are paying for.

Any thoughts on this?

Top Bottom