Jack Stand Placement - Safety - Rear Passenger Side, Gas Tank...

Petzl88

OK, I'm just trying to be safe here. The last couple of times I have supported the JK in the rear with a jack stand, it has bothered me that the frame rail doesn't sit completely in the seat of the jack stand cup because the gas tank will not allow it to move more to the drivers side. Any tips? I just picked up an extra set of jack stands today so that I can place a backup somewhere on the passenger side.

I don't want to get squished like a pancake, especially right before Christmas. :rock:

What do you guys do? Do just go with it?

Thanks!

jedg

What maintenance are you doing? If it doesn't require the suspension to sag, I put the jack stands under the tubes of the axles.

tonytony9

Usually when I jack my jk up I start my lifting it from the differential. Then I throw two jack stands on the frame right in front of the rear wheels (basically where your foot steps would be if you have them). I don't know if this helps at all, a little confused on what your problem is. I have never had a problem doing it this way when I work on my jk. Just put a lift on it doing this exact setup.

WJCO

Meme King
OK, I'm just trying to be safe here. The last couple of times I have supported the JK in the rear with a jack stand, it has bothered me that the frame rail doesn't sit completely in the seat of the jack stand cup because the gas tank will not allow it to move more to the drivers side. Any tips? I just picked up an extra set of jack stands today so that I can place a backup somewhere on the passenger side.

I don't want to get squished like a pancake, especially right before Christmas. :rock:

What do you guys do? Do just go with it?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the JK setup, but any time I use jackstands, I chock the tires that are on the ground anyway to keep vehicle from sliding. I also push/shake the vehicle a little once it is on the jackstands just to make sure it's not going to fall off. I usually keep the jack itself under the frame in a spot close to the jack stand as a back up or use a large tree stump or log as an extra precaution in case it did fall. It may seem like overkill, but I'd rather be safe.

Petzl88

I'm installing new springs in the rear. There is a little slot on the rear passenger side near the gas tank skid. I guess it depends on the shape of the jack stand yoke. The stand fits in that spot but it doesn't center up on the frame because movement to the driver's side is halted because it contacts the gas tank.

I will take a picture.

jedg

I'm installing new springs in the rear. There is a little slot on the rear passenger side near the gas tank skid. I guess it depends on the shape of the jack stand yoke. The stand fits in that spot but it doesn't center up on the frame because movement to the driver's side is halted because it contacts the gas tank.

I will take a picture.

hahaha.. gotcha, yes, that is the only time I don't use the axle tubes.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

I will take a picture.

I know exactly what spot your talking about, the gas skid deff takes up a lot of room where a jack stand would fit perfectly. I just try and get it centered and in as best as I can and then do the shake test to make sure its secure. I also keep another jack on that side of the frame just incase.

Petzl88

I know exactly what spot your talking about, the gas skid deff takes up a lot of room where a jack stand would fit perfectly. I just try and get it centered and in as best as I can and then do the shake test to make sure its secure. I also keep another jack on that side of the frame just incase.

Ok. Thanks. That is what I will do. I will keep a back up on the passenger side incase of failure.

I almost need a jack stand that has this type of profile: https://store.snapon.com/Jack-Stands-Jack-Stands-2-Aluminum-3-Ton-Capacity-per-pair--P643801.aspx

Not one like this, like I have: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-jack-stands-91760.html

Clark Collins

If you are taking the wheels off it's a good idea to lay them under the frame somewhere out of the area you are working on. That way if it slips off the jack stands it will land on the wheel and tire instead of you.

Top Bottom