Anyone ever drill out the catalytic converter?

98tjsherry

I love my jeep but i miss how loud my old truck was. I understand having the four cylinder loud wont sound as good as a v8 but i am wondering how you guys made your tj a little louder. I have though about drilling the cat but have heard of some negative effects of doing that. Also though about glass packs. I cant buy a whole new system since im only 17 and work a shitty job. Any help would be appreciated. 20151024_140309.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I love my jeep but i miss how loud my old truck was. I understand having the four cylinder loud wont sound as good as a v8 but i am wondering how you guys made your tj a little louder. I have though about drilling the cat but have heard of some negative effects of doing that. Also though about glass packs. I cant buy a whole new system since im only 17 and work a shitty job. Any help would be appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, it's illegal, but check your local laws on that. You also will most likely not pass emissions doing that. Also, it probably won't change the noise level, it may change the tone. The noise level will be controlled by the muffler, not the cat. There are TONS of mufflers out there, if you want a more aggressive sound. Also note that a 4 cylinder with a really small muffler sometimes sounds more cheesy than mean, been there.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
You don't want to drill out/hollow out your catalytic converter. If you really want to make it louder just cut out the stock muffler and weld in a Flowmaster, glasspack, or other louder muffler of your choice. It might not sound the greatest on a 2.5, but it will be louder.

98tjsherry

To the best of my knowledge, it's illegal, but check your local laws on that. You also will most likely not pass emissions doing that. Also, it probably won't change the noise level, it may change the tone. The noise level will be controlled by the muffler, not the cat. There are TONS of mufflers out there, if you want a more aggressive sound. Also note that a 4 cylinder with a really small muffler sometimes sounds more cheesy than mean, been there.
I know its illegal but so is the rest of the jeep so might as well add something else lol. No emissions test where im at in Pa:thumb:

Just leave it alone.
No one wants to hear a hack job exhaust mod on a 4 banger.

Save and spend your money on something beneficial. Even if you go high end exhaust your still dealing with a 4 popper. No matter what you do it'll be ghey.... So do nothing

CastleRockJeep

I know its illegal but so is the rest of the jeep so might as well add something else lol. No emissions test where im at in Pa:thumb:

It's always good to make sure anyone that may care about this will be able to see you did this knowing it's illegal. Ah to be 17 again...

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I have a 95' YJ with a 2.5l. When I got the jeep it has a cherry bomb glass pack. It's loud but it doesn't sound like an import. I had to remove the exhaust when I did my clutch and I ended up knocking out the honey comb inside the cat with a long rod. I did it because I wanted to see the change without one. Performance didn't change, only the tone did. It still looks like I have a cat but there's nothing inside. I don't have to worry about emissions here in SC and it's quickly becoming a trail only rig. I wish I did have a muffler because it is so loud on the trails and I can't hear my CB at all. Hopefully this helps.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I agree with Scooby and Street Bob. If it's your DD, just leave it alone. It's not worth the trouble to mess with it.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I love my jeep but i miss how loud my old truck was. I understand having the four cylinder loud wont sound as good as a v8 but i am wondering how you guys made your tj a little louder. I have though about drilling the cat but have heard of some negative effects of doing that. Also though about glass packs. I cant buy a whole new system since im only 17 and work a shitty job. Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 176071

I have never seen a stinger that big before haha.

Ddays

Hooked
I remember putting headers and dual glass packs on my inline 6 ford pickup in high school. Thought it would be badass. My buddy still pisses himself laughing when he remembers the look on my face when I first
Started it up :cheesy:

Don't do it.

Top Bottom